Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Well… the look into my source was a fun journey, but didn’t solve my problem. :frowning_face: (Too many differences in the graphics.)

I did learn from it though and in the end I found something I like.

I am using the Famicom graphic for these shots and have adjusted the Bezel Image Layer HSV accordingly.

I have added the drop shadow using the Top Extra Layer. (Like the PVM20.) I decided to compromise with the rack mounts and keep the rivets dark but lighten up the handles.

I decided against using Multiply and transparency on the bezel, in favor of HSV matching. This way, (With the frame the same color as the chassis and no frame shadow…) the frame outer edge shading looks like an inner shadow, and works perfectly for the graphic.

2 Likes

I decided to do an NES version shot of this to show how using one of the PVMs can add some bling to even the most simple graphics.

I like how the Tally light looks at night but I may do one final edit to the daylight layer and remove some color from the window.

After I get it the way I want it, I will probably use the same Tally light method on all of my PVMs.

This is a crazy sophisticated PVM, maybe @faxesystem can show us a shot of the panel pulled out from the PVM to show the inner controls.

7 Likes

Holy moly!!! This is so awesome! @Duimon that is exactly what I imagined the tally light to look like.

The TM20-17R doesn’t have the pull out panel. What it has is the knobs one can turn come out when being pushed and it makes them active. When they are out the LEDs are turned on. When pushed in the LEDs are off.

When I‘m at my other place where all my other PVM are I can take pictures of them all for your awesome work. I can also ask my CRT buddies from another forum to make some pictures for this project. The will gladly help out and it should cover most of the grail PVM / BVM.

Do you have a Patreon or is there a way to support your work?

4 Likes

These are really looking amazing @Duimon!

Thanks so much @faxesystem! These are such wonderful high res sharp images

@Duimon, what do you think about adding some texture like in these photos?

1 Like

No Patreon. My work is to support the shader, so spread the word. :grin: It’s success is my reward.

I enjoyed this graphic so much I may do the TM14-20R down the road since I can reuse so much of my source.

With the rack mounts it is pretty close to a 16:9 ratio so would fill the screen pretty well. Of course, this would be for the stand-alone PVM graphics.

Here’s a shot of what I thought your monitor could do. (For everyone reading.)

This would be the TM20-20R.

5 Likes

If it had texture then I think I should add some. :grin:

1 Like

This texture on the bezel is something that I have just seen on the Ikegami Models. My idea is that this was done to reduce reflections and to reduce eye fatigue for the people using it back in the days. So basically the opposite what the reflection bezel of your project is aiming at. The Sony and JVC PVM are all smooth.

4 Likes

I do like some texture though when I have the chance to use it. In Illustrator, a texture layer using a “Hard Light” blending mode, can produce texture that has directional lighting. I can look really nifty.

2 Likes

That would be awesome! Finding decent sources on the Interwebs is pretty much a roll of the dice and is one of the toughest parts of what I do.

Now that I have two solid PVMs done I am going to do the work of getting a couple sample presets for everyone in the repo and creating the standalone PVM presets and graphics. Then I need to finish adding all the Advanced presets.

Once that is done I really think I need to do the WonderSwan graphic I have been threatening to do. It is starting to think I have forgotten about it. (A whiny console is a tough thing to live with. :rofl:)

I will resume work on PVMs and Vintage TVs when I feel I need a change of pace.

5 Likes

Here is a shot of some texture on the monitor.

I tried using the Reflection mask but I couldn’t get it to look right. (I probably need to work with that a bit more to figure out a good method.) I achieved similar results using Multiply blending mode on the bezel to let the background texture show through.

As much as I like texture I’m not sure it adds anything to the graphic. It was worth trying though. :slightly_smiling_face: I am going to keep the texture layers in the source but remove them from the output. (Just in case someone down the road wants to add it back in.)

I’m still not 100% happy with the daylight Tally light. I will keep working on it.

6 Likes

Yeah, this may end up not being worth it its a bit of work to get something working well.

I find this works best with a very high contrast black & white image. Ideally it would look like the specular pass using a bumpy surface. You can take a look at the neo Geo preset in the examples for what works in terms of contrast and look.

To use it wilh scalable screen size it should match the bezel image, size & placement. Then you need to turn on the reflection mask follows bezel parameter, or something like that then it’s scale & placement should match the bezel image.

1 Like

OK. I am about ready to add the PVM stuff to the repo.There is just a little bit of work left.

I will have example working presets for each of the PVMs in a “PVM_Advanced” folder. I have chosen two systems for the examples…

1. The Famicom…

I chose it just because I think it is cool.

One of the decisions I have yet to make is whether to just use a near default bezel color. It may not be as authentic, but since I am only releasing examples I think maybe the less setup the user needs, the better. (It would also make the setup guide a bit shorter.)

1. The Gamecube…

I chose the Gamecube because it illustrates my use of the Cabinet Glass Layer for the PVM LEDs. Thanks to @HyperspaceMadness inspired method of excluding the LED layer from the Night Lighting, we can layer the LED Layer under the Bezel Image Layer. (So scaling the screen reveals the obscured Gamecube LEDs as it should.)

I have also near completed the work on the stand-alone PVM Standard presets.

I am simulating cylindrical curvature using 2D settings. (For the PVM-20M.) Since these use the Standard presets, I wanted to keep system resource usage low.

I am planning on doing a series of console and manufacturer Decals. I am showing a SONY logo here. To look their best we are waiting on a shader update from @HyperspaceMadness. To avoid weirdness, I am probably going to eliminate manufacturer branding from the PVMs. (Both stand-alone and Advanced.)

The backgrounds and cabinet colors will be the same for the TM20 series.

So like I said. Almost done. :wink: (I just noticed something that needs fixing in the third PVM shot. :innocent:)

9 Likes

That’s amazing. Will it be available today

3 Likes

I will make every effort to have these in the repo by the end of the day. :grin:

5 Likes

Wow, so much new stuff with this since I checked on this months ago. Great work @Duimon.

2 Likes

Wow, the PVM graphics are amazing! :heart_eyes: Those PVMs are something I’ve wanted to see and use in real life for ages, but probably won’t be able to b/c of their cost and increasing rarity… and physical size… simulating one on a nice PC display is a really cool workaround :wink:

4 Likes

Hi @Duimon , adding my voice to thank you about your amazing work! You constantly raise the bar with the new systems!

3 Likes

@Duimon: Just joined to also say thanks for the amazing work you are doing! I’m changing over my Launchbox / BigBox / Retroarch setup to use your art and HSM. It looks amazing! Since you seem to enjoy requests, I was was wondering if it would be possible to create a general Arcade graphic to use with all the Mame arcade games. I’m curious as to your take on that. Thanks again!

5 Likes

Thank everyone for all the nice comments. It has been a joy being around here lately.

There has been much interest in a generic arcade cabinet over the last year, and I keep putting it off. Maybe it’s about time I actually did one. :innocent:

I have in mind asking @HyperspaceMadness to introduce a feature he and I talked about way back when. If he agrees, maybe we will have a surprise for you.

4 Likes

Great, I also wanted to order it but I asked so much that I preferred to wait, the ideal would be one horizontal and one vertical.

1 Like