Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

For those interested…

This DOES complete the current set. HSM shader graphics are in my repo, still working on the RA Overlays. There are custom night TopLayerImages for each manufacturer. (i.e. SEGA, SONY, etc…)

3 Likes

I’m not sure what my issue with the GameCube is, but I’m not feeling it. (If I figure out what my issue is I’ll let you know, lol)

On the other hand the PlayStation one looks great, love the screen bezel.

1 Like

I may saturate the purple a bit more sometime. I am really just trying to give them something in common with the regular graphics. I honestly think that night mode is where these things shine.

1 Like

Please do, your input is important to me!

1 Like

If you have any interesting or unique coin door reference images please share. We are looking for some that lend authenticity to the overlays we are doing and some of these (like the Midway or Taito) coin doors can be used on a number of overlays.

3 Likes

Nothing real special. :upside_down_face: And I don’t think they would be the needed quality anyway. Since I am doing vector I can start with pretty low res as my template.

1 Like

After some discussion with @Syh I have decided I prefer my predominantly black version of Gamecube…

I will update it when I do the RA overlays. :grin:

2 Likes

OK! RA Overlay 4K Vertical versions are up in the repo, both regular and alt versions with a larger screen area. I decided to not do any colored bezels on them, only black, it just felt better. Night versions are also included.

Now on to something new!!! :grin:

2 Likes

Hello all!

TurboGrafx16!!

10 Likes

Yes! Back on track for us landscape commoners! :smiley: That one looks superb as usual.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m not quite sure I like the top third. It is true to life, but I may make a few changes and then ask for an opinion. Realism is only part of it, I want it to feel good too.

1 Like

Wow, nicely done sir.

1 Like

Another attempt, to try and give this some balance…

Not as true to life with the dock taking up less space and the body more, but I think I like it better.

I didn’t do the cartridge slot because it gave me an easy way to balance the design with the two port arrows on opposing sides of the screen. :grin: I may design it and keep it hidden so people can have more options with the source.

7 Likes

Here’s a shot of the cartridge slot.

It will be hidden and, as long as the center is the reference, can be freely resized and moved from left to right.

4 Likes

Here’s the TurboGrafx-16 4K Vertical.

I used some elements from the standard graphic to set it apart from the rest. Hope you like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

First stab at the new workflow with 4k Vertical added in along with all the plain, RA overlay, and night stuff. I think it, and I, will get along just fine. :wink:

All versions have been added to the repos.

5 Likes

Just wanted to say - these are brilliant. Really great work, thanks for making the source files available and having a tidy repo with everything separated.

Currently i’m using RetroPie but on an x86 Ubuntu install and am using system overlays which i’ve created myself with a master PSD, but pulling images from other various sources for the systems (i’m no artist sadly but ok with using photoshop/gimp). Anyway, what I put together works well enough, and all my systems have a consistent look and same 4:3 aspect across the board to keep things simple - but i’m going to try out your overlays as they look so polished. Currently I am using crt-easymode-halation with a few tweaks to the curvature and mask type as my shader, but happy to play around with others.

My system is only a ‘tiny’ Lenovo m93p which has an i5-4590t, 8gb RAM, and Intel HD4600 integrated graphics. So I have to be careful with the more complex shaders to avoid performance issues, especially when emulating things like DC or GC. Unfortunately I cannot use the HSM reflection shader pack in the other post, because the shader presets won’t even load without freezing up, no matter if I use vulkan or glcore. One or two do load after several minutes, but you barely get 2-3fps! I guess they cannot be used without dedicated graphics. So i’m really grateful that you are porting these to standard retroarch overlay format for ‘lesser’ systems where they can be used with a more simple shader.

I noticed on this post:

You have a list of systems to get through - really happy you are doing all these as I use some of those (including CD32!) - will you add ZX Spectrum to the list do you think? (lr-fuse)

The other question I have, is regarding the shader and associated settings you would use to match the shape of the TV Bezel. In an ideal world, i’d like to have no overscan/cropping, and the shape of the curve to be the same as the bezel. I assume unless the bezel came from another source, maybe you based its shape/curve on a shader you were using at the time? Any tips here? All the shaders i’ve played with before (crt-geom, easymode etc) all handle their curvature quite differently with varying results.

Thanks again for creating these - really good stuff. Will be keeping an eye on progress with the other systems.

2 Likes

Thank you for the compliments. I am glad you are getting some benefit from the source, it justifies my decision to include it.

I have good luck with the default crt-geom settings using the coordinates in my ra overlay repo readme. Very little tweaking to the shader parameters to get it to match my curvature.

If there is an RA core I will probably do it. My plan is to do every core and system that makes sense.

Yes, providing the PSD and associated files is very generous. What I will probably do, is download the overlays you’ve done so far, apply them, and then try to get a shader matching with the bezel. Are you able to share the crt-geom parameters you use? If not I can start with defaults and play with the distance/curvature etc and see how close I can get to the bezel shape/edges.

Regarding the other systems I use in RetroPie which you haven’t made overlays for yet, I was going to take your 1080p PSD, drag my existing system layer over that, adjust if necessary but use your bezel in it’s current position. This means I can set all the systems with the viewports you suggested on the readme.md, and as and when you create the overlays, I should just be able to replace the files with yours.

So having the source available is really great, rather than trying to manipulate flat PNGs. I do appreciate the inclusion.

ZX Spectrum does have an RA core called FUSE (https://github.com/libretro/fuse-libretro) so that’s great if you plan to do that eventually. I only really have it on my RetroPie for nostalgic reasons, as I grew up with the Speccy and Amiga. A lot of system overlays created by others miss the Speccy for some reason, probably because it was only really popular in UK/Europe. I did make my own though which is not too bad.

2 Likes

Well. I’ll consider that a request and move it to the top of the list.:grin:

2 Likes

OK guys. Turns out the ZX Spectrum is kind of tricky. There’s just not a whole lot going on. :slightly_smiling_face:

I didn’t want to just slap a keyboard on the screen but I thought it needed a couple of keys so…

or we have this option…

Opinions??

We can always keep both and use one as an alternate. :grin:

BTW. After a discussion with HSM a while back, I have decided to modify my first mission statement. Instead of limiting myself to just Illustrator relative raster effects I will give myself permission to use other raster effects, keeping them at 300dpi. The restriction was too confining and I think the end result would eventually begin to suffer.

To clarify… The art will still be vector based. I have always been using some of Illustrator’s native raster effects. (These are relative math based effects.) I will now use Illustrator’s Photoshop effects within Illustrator. (These are pixel based and not as scalable.) This gives me access to things like film grain and noise filters. (Like the texture on the top third of this graphic.)

6 Likes