Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Yup makes sense, I found my experiment for Legend of Kage 2 and for that game it was 64px

3 Likes

This one tricked me in particular :grin:

1 Like

The PVM by itself uses 4 image layers, a background makes 5. Using it with a background that has an LED would require 6. (Not counting the always preset Night layer. :grin:)

They are an Advanced preset only feature intended to give graphics that aren’t taking advantage of the Advanced presets, a reason to be there.

@HyperspaceMadness has been making changes to facilitate some more features in the Standard presets. I will take advantage of these as they appear, but there will always be things the Standard isn’t capable of. That’s why we have an Advanced preset. :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s the promised WIP on the NDS Vertical.

I am pretty sure about the gap distance being accurate. :grin: (Although this also changed from the “Fat” to the “Lite”. :crazy_face:)

If you were to hold this thing in your hand and fold the top half to about 45 degrees, (Probably the intended posture.) the gap distance would be decreased by almost half the hinge width.

For this project, I started with my NDS 4K Vertical graphic. I thought it would save me some time. (I was wrong.) This was pretty much a complete overhaul, the source is completely different now, and quite complex. I am beyond question a far different and more capable artist than I was when I began this journey.

Because of this complexity I may run into some roadblocks changing the color of the graphic to enable HSV in the Advanced shader. (But of course I will make the attempt. :innocent:)

7 Likes

Yes this totally makes sense.

Not sure why, but for Mario and Luigi seems like the distances between starts should be somewhat the same to make a perfect circle (after all we look at the image straight). I did the similar thing with the counting))

But as said, I do understand that maybe it is just my personal taste /nitpick)) All in all I really like how it turns out

1 Like

Yep. I am quite nitpicky myself. I assure you this is an accurate representation of the real device layout. The developers never intended this thing to lie flat.

You’ll notice that they decreased the gap on the 2DS although the device is backward compatible with 3DS games.

Fortunately, If we want to correct this kind of design shortcoming, using Mega Bezel shader, we can!

Although no longer physically accurate, (And there is no reflection. :frowning_face:) the gap distance is improved.

@HyperspaceMadness

The LCD Grid doesn’t like this layout very much. (Notice the banding?) Is there anything to be done about this, (Pixel size etc.) It is at the lowest resolution and I couldn’t find any parameters that helped. :frowning_face:

Edit: Scanline direction multiplier did the trick! :partying_face: Although there are some that may not like the end result.

3 Likes

@Duimon Thanks for good work, you managed to explain the main doubt I had, and helped me a lot with regard to the problem of aspect ratio that I had in the beginning, even being technical issues your tips were very helpful and I thank you for the help :slight_smile:

at the moment I am having some problems related to MAME (Arcade Bezels) and I am trying to find the solution (some games work perfectly, others do not), to position the Shader in the Overlay (Background)

1 Like

With the DS when I think about the separation distance the game Arkanoid DS comes to mind, I hope I can play that game well when I have the vertical version since with the horizontal now it is impossible.

1 Like

It is possible, and please don’t stress about the gap distance, it’s truly a non-issue. :roll_eyes:

Just play some games and have fun! :wink:

Presets are updated with the Standard NDS Vertical. (Graphic is in the “Logo” folder.)

@Syh (I am a little worried that there is no logo on this graphic. :innocent:)

5 Likes

Here is a WIP of the NDS Vertical for the Advanced preset.

Default.

A little Brighter using HSV.

Some color change using HSV.

Some opacity on the Decal layer to use dark controls.

If you look close you’ll see I need to fix the LED. The HSV is changing the color. (Oops! :upside_down_face:)

5 Likes

OK then. The LED is fixed and NDS Vertical for the Advanced preset is in the repo.

Just in case it wasn’t obvious, the background is separate, if anyone wants to swap it out. :grin:

5 Likes

I just tried it now and it is wonderful, another great work Duimon, I have never been able to play arkanoid as well as now. :smiley: :smiley: :+1:

I leave a catch made right now

3 Likes

I decide to do some more work on the LowRes NX for the Advanced preset. I thought it deserved a little HSV love, so I did some surgery to separate the required layers.

Using HSV parameters to approximate the Standard preset color…

Green…

Blue…

…and Red. This is actually the default color before HSV adjustments. (Inline with my HSV R&D)

I purposefully chose somewhat unsaturated colors for these shots.

I will also be bringing the same bit of love to the PICO-8 Advanced preset. :grin:

3 Likes

What? Yes, maybe, I’m alive, lol.

Uhh looks fine from my lazy glance over, lol.

@Duimon

I’d like to report that it looks like the GameCube preset isn’t updated with the recent changes which brought a functionality to force decal to follow bezel frame when using non-integer scaling parameter.

1 Like

Thank you! It is fixed.

I was hoping that would give you a little poke in the side. :wink:

Your presence is missed my friend. I hope you are doing well.

2 Likes

I’m… Alright. Just kinda mentally checked out atm.

Should be back to normal soon-ish.

I’ll be back to participate lol.

2 Likes

I made a change to the NDS Vertical Advanced source and preset. (I separated the text, symbols, and background LEDs to a Cabinet Glass layer so it wouldn’t be affected by the Bezel Image HSV.)

This thing looks pretty cool all bright and silvery! :crazy_face:

Hint: Just a little bit of opacity on the Decal layer to make the controls a darker gray.

On related note, I would like to thank the community for the feedback that motivated me to create this graphic. I am very glad I took the time! :grin:

7 Likes

Duimon with 3ds could you do the same? Or would it be more difficult because of the screen above which is bigger?

1 Like

I could indeed do the same for the 3DS. And I have plans to do so. :grin:

The Dual screen preset is something @HyperspaceMadness is still actively developing so the method of independent aspect ratios may change, but the current release does support it.

The two devices are fairly similar so I anticipate being able to reuse at least some of my source. It is at the top of my list. (Both Horizontal and Vertical layouts.)

6 Likes