Duimon - HSM Mega Bezel Graphics and Presets - Feedback and Updates

Ok this time I have more of an actual suggestion lol.

It might look nicer if you place the super famicom logo in the marquee space, move the speakers to the center of that space, possibly make the speakers (left/right) bigger to make up for blank space (I’d leave the center speaker it’s original height though), and throw the Nintendo logo at the bottom (kick plate?). Also I’d move the cartridge slot and stuff to the very bottom.

IDK how it’ll look though, that was just what I thought of after I went to relook over what you posted, lol.

Is there a way for this shadow to be implemented in the shader itself?

As you can see, both the bezel and frame aren’t just one flat color. There is a smooth gradient that makes it look more realistic. You can already sort of do this for the inside bezel with the “highlight” option but that adds noticeable color banding. In this picture you can see color banding in the screen as well so we don’t want that either.

@GemaH

While this might have been a question better asked on the shader thread, I can answer because…

It is already implemented! That was one of the original reasons HSM put in the masking modes for the top layer image.

In my “HSM-Reflection-Shader-Graphics/logo” repo there is a “bezel_gradient_add.png”. Use it as your top layer image and adjust the mask so it is just on the frame, then adjust the top layer image blending mode to “Add”, and it’s opacity to 100%.

Obviously this cannot be used on the night versions but the frame is shaded too much on them for it to matter. It also looks best on bezels with a brightness of 50% or lower.

If you think there is too much banding you can always use another image of your choice, just make sure it is one with very high contrast in the gradients, preferably black & white.

@Syh

I have been working on this and pretty much committed to this design…

and a night mode…

Turns out it’s a lot like your suggestion. :grin: I hope everyone likes it. The rest of the systems will just have appropriate colors and logos added.

Think of it less as a cabinet and more like a wall mounted kiosk. :astonished:

It’s intentionally generic except for the marquees. I needed to come up with something that was easy to modify for the other systems. This design also makes it easy to move things around in the source for people who want to do that. It is one of my mission statements, after all. :wink:

7 Likes

Got confused and i thought i was posting in the shader topic :stuck_out_tongue:

So in order for this effect to work you need an overlay? Is that what “use as the top image” means? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i only know how to adjust shader parameters :stuck_out_tongue:

No worries. You need to save a preset then manually edit the *.slangp and replace the "TopLayerImage = " value with the path to the new image. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then adjust the parameters as I showed in the earlier post.

2 Likes

This is very cool! A very clean minimalistic design. One suggestion, what do you think of making the monitor portion wider so it fills the screen from left to right vertically? I did some similar overlays you can see in my thread here:

I tried to make the border on the left and right as narrow as possible for people with smaller screens, as I see quite a few folks are running vertical configs on 27" or even smaller. @benlogan has also begun helping convert more of my overlays into a large screen format for that purpose.

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment! (Very nice artwork in the link!)

I was thinking a 39" to 43" TV while developing this. That’s the tough part isn’t it? Trying to figure out what the end user will want or use.

The beauty of building this around this around HSMs shader, combined with my mission statement, is that I don’t have to create a “one size fits all” design.

The bezel is generated by the shader and can be resized using the shader parameters.

The source for all my graphics are provided so people can make modifications if they want. I try very hard to make some of the more obvious mods easy for them. In this case the main body and marquees are on one layer, the part behind the screen, and the speakers are each on their own separate layers. Resizing the center part and nudging the speakers up a bit should be easy. The rest can be done in parameters.

The same can be said for the RA overlay versions. The source has the bezel, bezel drop shadow, bezel inner shadow, and mask. They can all be resized at the same time. (There is even a hidden screen guide they can use to get coordinates) :grin:

3 Likes

That’s cool, I’m confident that there will be users out there who want to maximize the screen area and will appreciate being able to customize it themselves. A number of folks have taken my overlays and modified them for their own preferences so I’m sure they will do the same with yours :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your hard work on these!

2 Likes

I haven’t quite committed to this design yet. (Almost :blush:) I am still messing with it off and on. I am also not opposed to doing alternates. I am aware that not everyone can or wants to modify source. (I am releasing plain non logo versions of the current graphics, instead of leaving that for the user to do.)

It sounds like doing two for each system, one for large monitors and one for small as an alternate, may be worth doing.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the model I’m following. Just separate directories depending on which format you want, so it’s simple for the end user if they don’t want to get into editing things themselves.

Longer term I want to get a GitHub together for these vertical overlays to centralize and open source them in the same way that you are doing yours.

2 Likes

I believe this will be the final version. I did away with the inner frame just because I think this looks much cooler, eliminated the glow on the bottom marquee so it was less distracting, and at the urging of my “Art Director :wink:” struggled to find a simple way of adding some dimension to the cab, and almost gave up, but adding a couple of subtle bevels has (I think) done it. There are also one or two other subtle changes the maybe only I can see. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now I need to see how the design translates to other systems.

8 Likes

I love it! :star_struck:

The dimension you’ve added with the carve-in is looking great and the subtle darker gray in the central vertical stripe is quite nice. The bottom frame & graphic are working well too.

Very nice job on something that was tricky to balance :grinning:

5 Likes

Here’s an SNES Version.

I also changed up the structure of the source, eliminated a couple of layers which make it easier to edit, and added a couple of old school highlights to the marquees.

7 Likes

These are both very nice! I love that curve you added to the bezel too, that’s a very subtle but pleasing effect.

1 Like

7 Likes

Great work, really like how this has come together. You have surpassed yourself. :+1:

1 Like

Well! :grin: I decided that before I actually released these 4K Vertical graphics I had better actually test them myself. HSM has been graciously testing them for me because I am in kind of a temporary desk situation since I moved into my new house and my monitors are on stands not arms. Part of that has changed, it’s still a temporary situation but they are once again on their arms where they belong.

So I tested the SNES version…

The standard, which I like a lot. These graphics may not be as photo-realistic as some that other awesome artists in our community are doing but this isn’t a competition. :slightly_smiling_face: They are influenced enough by my other graphics, and have enough of my “signature” style, that I feel great about releasing them.

The larger screen version that @ArsInvictus suggested I do. Actually, for the HSM shader version no changes were required. As long as the bezel is as large or larger than the one in the graphic, (And that’s the point after all.) the shader crops everything for you. Obviously I will have to do two versions for the RA Overlays but it’s only a matter of masking not editing. :grin:

(I forgot to adjust the bezel color since I lowered the saturation on the purple in the SNES 4K graphic, but that is up to the user for now anyway.)

And a night version with a new 4K Vertical top layer image I made.

I am happy. I will finish these very soon and we can move forward with new system graphics. I will add the 4K Verticals into the development process.

4 Likes

These look amazing! Glad to hear you didn’t have to do anything to enable the larger screen size too. Great work!

1 Like

I just noticed I used the wrong night image, I will update the screenshot in a minute. :astonished:

OK. The last image was updated. I forgot to use the top layer image that was masked for the marquees and top marquee glow. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like