Experiences with nightlies

VBA Next crashes the app on boot when I try to run Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. VBA-M works just fine,though I really wanna see the performance difference of the “Next” edition. If any,how’s progress of the mGBA core creation coming along? (unless I am mistaken)

Last I heard, endrift hasn’t started on it yet

Hi there, just got a snazzy new Via-play F2 for use with my Asus TF300T (on Android 4.4.4, just to mention) and RetroArch is clearly the greatest thing to have ever existed. However, and I’m unsure if it’s something introduced in recent nightly builds, or if I’m doing something else wrong (too many nightlies to try out and not enough time to try every single combination possible), but using the latest nightly, it seems that the config files don’t actually save, and even if I do force a new copy to save, subsequent loads of the config file cause it to revert back to defaults. Looking in /Android/data/com.retroarch, I’ve noticed that the file contents are getting sort of scrambled, IE, the new config I save, if I look at the file before opening it again, it appears nicely formatted and has all the correct info. However, if I look at the file after its been loaded, the file seemingly randomly ordered and contains none of the settings I had saved previously. Almost like it’s writing out some hard-coded settings every time they’re loaded. Hopefully that’s everything you need to give me a shove in the right direction, I absolutely love how flawlessly this works for the SNES, and if I could not have to reconfig my settings after every reload, this would be my perfect emulation solution.

Thanks!

Thought I would update this in case anyone else has a similar issue with things, I ended up reverting back to the 2015-02-27 nightly as I saw from git that that was the last version that placed the config files in /data/data by default, and so I ended up creating a new config file that worked as expected, renamed it to the default global config file, and then set permissions on it to read-only, this way retroarch can’t mangle it. Since doing this, all of my settings have been staying put and everything works 100% across multiple reloads of the app.

I just found out the cause of an issue. The RGUI menu remains printed on the screen when resuming with A,but only when throttle menu is ON. I turned it off then hit resume as usual,and the menu goes away properly. Just pointing that out for ya.

First Post!

I have an ouya and have been using the official build 1.0.0.2 I think its called. Its great but there are issues when using a PS3 controller, the GUI menu does not respond so its not possible to remap anything.

Following the advice on the forums I have downloaded and tried the nightly builds on which the input issues seem to now be ok. The main problem that I am having is that I cannot get Sega CD or Playstation games to work, even though everything (Bios, ISO etc) is in the same place. I have tried copying the bios files that work with 1.0.0.2 into as many other places as possible to give it a chance to find them but The playstation emu just says bios not found, there may be bugs, and then black screen. Sega CD just goes black screen.

When I uninstall the nightly and put the 1.0.0.2 everything goes back to working normally again (except the PS3 controller)

Please help!

You have the wrong BIOS, also BIOS files go into whatever you defined as system directory. Check the wiki for the correct hashes and then check your BIOS files

In 1.0.0.2,I could (kinda) run Sega CD with the BIOS in the same directory as the game,please add an option for alternatively checking the game directory as to avoid the need of changing the system directory. Or maybe find a way to add a directory slot just for BIOS files.

So, change your systemdir to rom dir. Checking the locations for BIOS files is up to the core mantainer.

The system directory is basically just for BIOS files

Is there any way to load an older version of a core manually? The latest version of PCSX Rearmed has some bizarre input lag with NFS 4 and no other game that I can find. I know it didn’t happen with older versions, but I’m not sure how to manually overwrite the cores

@ice445 sure, just get the older version of the library and overwrite the newer one. The cores are in /data/data/com.retroarch. You’ll need root.

[QUOTE=hunterk;20606]@ice445 sure, just get the older version of the library and overwrite the newer one. The cores are in /data/data/com.retroarch. You’ll need root.[/QUOTE]

Can you give me the exact location? I looked in the system root and found a “data” folder, but it had nothing in it. Then I looked in storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.retroarch and found that there was nothing in this folder other than sub folder called “files” which contains retroarch.cfg and nothing else. Is ES file explorer just not capable of seeing the core files, or am I looking in the wrong place? I do have “show hidden files” in ES Explorer enabled. I tried dragging the downloaded core into the root of retroarch.com AND the files folder, and never got a prompt that I was overwriting anything (and it didn’t work, obviously).

I’m sure I’m just missing something obvious, but I’m at a huge loss here.

He did, /data/data/com.retroarch You need to do it as root

[QUOTE=Radius;20886]He did, /data/data/com.retroarch You need to do it as root[/QUOTE]

I have root, why can’t I see anything in that folder?

If you’re using ES File Explorer, you need to give it root privs before it will let you see those files/directories. It doesn’t have them from the get-go.

Oh, of course, Didn’t know that option was disabled by default. Knew it was something silly, thanks.

Quick question, how come the nightly build and the downloadable core option doesn’t seem to download the “core info” that tells you information about the core and its build version? Is there a way to mitigate this other than just putting it in manually?

Again, the android menu is deprecated and will disappear as soon as we have touch input implemented. If you use RGUI you’ll be able to see the names alright.

I think it only updates the names once so you might need to restart to see the fancy names after downloading cores

Sorry, I meant here:

Under this menu, there is nothing at all, for any core. On the stable build, 1.0.0.2, it gives information. For this core, it tells you if it has detected the particular BIOS files it wants.

If this is what you meant as being deprecated soon, then my bad. I thought this was the RGUI.

Also, I found another bug. Under the “paths” menu on the latest build, if you select a custom save state and save file folder and restart the device/program, when you come back, the boxes are unchecked as if you never used that function. However, under RGUI, the custom folders I selected are still entered under the “paths” menu, so all is well. I’m assuming this is what you mean about the UI being deprecated though.

It’s working fine. Regarding the paths… yeah known issue that GUI is gonna die, don’t use the android menu for any setting

[QUOTE=Radius;20960]

It’s working fine. Regarding the paths… yeah known issue that GUI is gonna die, don’t use the android menu for any setting[/QUOTE]

How come it doesn’t work for me :frowning: