Fast Forward button on the overlay?

Hi there,

Loving Retroarch so much :slight_smile:

Is there any way I can add a button on my psx overlay to enable fast forward (hold for fast forward, release to stop) ?

Basically I was playing breath of fire 3 on a psp emulator for IOS however the constant fps drops are very frustrating despite me starting a game. I have moved back to the psx version of this game and playing on retroarch (perfect fps :slight_smile: ) but have no way of converting/transfering my save across, so before I start the game again I would like an easy fast forward button to hopefully catch up to where I was.

Yeah, it’s easy. If you open up the overlay’s cfg file, you’ll see a bunch of lines that tell RetroArch where to draw the buttons, how big to make them, which png file corresponds to the button and what the function of it is (not in that order). You would probably actually want a FF toggle rather than a hold-to-FF. The function name for that is toggle_fast_forward.

The easiest way to get something going fast is to take a button that already exists, for example the ‘rotate’ button, and copy its lines, replacing the function with toggle_fast_forward. So, using this example (assuming you’re using the actual psx overlay and not the box diagonals one), you would grab these lines:

overlay0_desc20 = "overlay_next,0.30125,0.11708333333334,radial,0.025,0.04166666666"
overlay0_desc20_overlay = rotate.png

and copy/paste/modify them to:

overlay0_desc21 = "toggle_fast_forward,0.30125,0.11708333333334,radial,0.025,0.04166666666"
overlay0_desc21_overlay = rotate.png

You’ll also need to add one to this line:

overlay0_descs = 21

and raise it to 22 to include your new button.