FBNeo Core suddenly doesn't open a certain game

So today, all of a sudden with no previous warning, FBNeo started denying to open Jojo’s Venture (jojo.zip) no mater what I do. I’ve re-downloaded the rom, put it in a different place and all but nothing works, it simply says “Couldn’t load content”.

Is this a common enough occurence for there to be a quick fix or did something get royally borked on my end? (It’s Lakka x86_64 by the way)

Have you checked with a tool like ClrMamePro or RomCenter if you have the right rom?

[NOTE] Mame is using a different rom then FBNeo.

Mame needs the jojo.zip with only jojo_euro.29f400.u2 inside, but with the additonal chd cap-jjk-3.chd
MAME_JoJo_s_Venture_JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_Euro_990128

whereas Fbneo needs only the jojo.zip with the following roms inside:
JoJo_s_Venture_JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_Euro_990128

I’m certain I have the correct rom because it was working before. That’s the catch: It no longer works. Tried replacing the file through SFTP, still didn’t work. It’s 100% not a matter of having the wrong rom and I’m sure I have the FBA\FBNeo rom (I only use Mame for games that are unsupported or run poorly on FBNeo).

both FBNeo and MAME update their ROMsets regularly to include new dumps, etc., so it’s possible that your previously working ROM is no longer valid with the latest version of the core.

A verbose log would tell us for sure.

Are these cores updated automatically?

Cores usually aren’t updated automatically. But if you update Lakka the cores get updatet as well.

I checked and with mame 0.216 (Nov 27 2019) jojo got an update:

- jojo_usa.29f400.u2
+ jojo_euro.29f400.u2

so you have to update your rom, if you are using a pre 0.216 rom

(FBNeo was updated to use the newer rom on Dec 04 2019 with commit e189cb5 if i am correct)

1 Like

MAME made the european version of jojo the “parent” in https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/62be5492ceb8e3dcc5a88a5a2e5e2bae48f22f0d (that was already the case for every other cps3 games, but somehow jojo lacked an european dump until then), FBNeo followed.

2 Likes