[Feature Request] Rework game config files?

Sorry in advance, I have no clue which subforum this topic belongs to.

I’m currently creating some game specific config files in retroarch because some of my psx games can use the widescreen hack while others can not. And I can play some games in higher resolution, too. However I’m afraid that if I create so many new config files now at a certain point I want to change something what affects all games so I have to change this setting separate in all config files. For example a few months ago Zach implemented the dynamic recompiler in beetle psx. So a new option has been added to the core settings. And if I had all my game config files created at this point I had to change this option in each file. This is just an example. Maybe I get a better pc in the future and I can enable some cool other options which I’ve disabled by now and so on. The issue is that if you create a game specific config file this file doesnt just include the option which is different from the core config file. It lists ALL core options. And if you want to change one of these core options for all games it doesnt change the option in settings of games which have an own config files. Wouldnt it be better if the game config file only saves the option which is different to the core settings? And if you start the game it only takes this single option which is different to the core settings while it uses the core settings for the rest?

For exampe if I create a config file for Tony Hawks pro Skater 2 and I only change the widescreen hack to “on” the config file should only iclude this line: beetle_psx_hw_widescreen_hack = “enabled”

instead of all this stuff: beetle_psx_hw_adaptive_smoothing = “enabled” beetle_psx_hw_analog_calibration = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_analog_toggle = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_aspect_ratio = “corrected” beetle_psx_hw_cd_access_method = “precache” beetle_psx_hw_cd_fastload = “8x” beetle_psx_hw_core_timing_fps = “force_progressive” beetle_psx_hw_cpu_dynarec = “execute” beetle_psx_hw_cpu_freq_scale = “100%(native)” beetle_psx_hw_crop_overscan = “enabled” beetle_psx_hw_depth = “16bpp(native)” beetle_psx_hw_display_internal_fps = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_display_vram = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_dither_mode = “1x(native)” beetle_psx_hw_dynarec_eventcycles = “128” beetle_psx_hw_dynarec_invalidate = “full” beetle_psx_hw_enable_memcard1 = “enabled” beetle_psx_hw_enable_multitap_port1 = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_enable_multitap_port2 = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_filter = “nearest” beetle_psx_hw_frame_duping = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_gpu_overclock = “1x(native)” beetle_psx_hw_gte_overclock = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_gun_cursor = “cross” beetle_psx_hw_gun_input_mode = “lightgun” beetle_psx_hw_image_crop = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_image_offset = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_image_offset_cycles = “0” beetle_psx_hw_initial_scanline = “0” beetle_psx_hw_initial_scanline_pal = “0” beetle_psx_hw_internal_resolution = “4x” beetle_psx_hw_last_scanline = “239” beetle_psx_hw_last_scanline_pal = “287” beetle_psx_hw_line_render = “default” beetle_psx_hw_mdec_yuv = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_mouse_sensitivity = “100%” beetle_psx_hw_msaa = “1x” beetle_psx_hw_negcon_deadzone = “0%” beetle_psx_hw_negcon_response = “linear” beetle_psx_hw_pal_video_timing_override = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_pgxp_mode = “memory only” beetle_psx_hw_pgxp_texture = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_pgxp_vertex = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_renderer = “hardware” beetle_psx_hw_renderer_software_fb = “enabled” beetle_psx_hw_shared_memory_cards = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_skip_bios = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_super_sampling = “disabled” beetle_psx_hw_use_mednafen_memcard0_method = “libretro” beetle_psx_hw_widescreen_hack = “enabled” beetle_psx_hw_wireframe = “disabled”

Yeah I’ve been having issues with psx configs… sorry to post it here but I can’t create a new topic… just thought I’d place it here for relevancy…

Is Disabling/Enabling SMC checks available per psx rom? On psx when I when I disable SMC checks for a particular rom, I then go into overrides and hit save game overrides .

My understanding is that because its a quick-menu option, it should save in: .config/retroarch/config/[core-name]/[rom-name].cfg But instead, it creates an entire core config file that applies to all psx roms.

So, am I right in assuming that SMC checks are not able for setting per rom, using the save game overrides option?