Flat gamepad overlays

I standardized everything to the snes d-pad which is why you aren’t seeing it. If you open up the psx overlay, you’ll see what i mean. For both the start buttons and d pad, I standardized the design across systems primarily because it’s the design that looks and feels best but also because it makes it a lot quicker to make new designs if I reuse assets.

I completely understand what you’re saying about the function keys up top (and really these mods were primarily for me but I thought I’d release them back to the community in case people were interested). I decided on that placing because it makes it a lot quicker to handle states and pausing which is useful if you’re at a hard boss and need to keep restarting or need to pause the game quickly to get off the train.

For the Saturn controller, I didn’t add analog because it only applies to the 3D controller which is 1) not the default controller in RA 2) poorly supported and not actually required for any game on the Saturn and 3) analog isn’t really that great on mobile anyway. If there’s a ton of demand, I might put something together though.

[QUOTE=sergio-br2;41078] @RaduNastase, did you find a better config to analog? I’m not really happy with it too. That example you give us, is it changed already? It’s from what overlay?[/QUOTE]

The example is the default, and i found that those particular values only affect the size and position of the displayed button, and not the actual touch areas. I haven’t found a better analog, the only thing i do is zoom in the overlay a bit (1.07) from the in-game retroarch menu and this makes it a little better. I’m hoping the fully customisable overlay pad that hunter was talking about some time ago is not that far off :slight_smile:

What i could do is re-arrange the buttons to cover less of the actual game screen for the 6-button games (and 4-buttons with a+b+c as sepparate) in landscape, so, if anyone wants it here’s the cfg. It is optimised for 5 inch display (S4)

Added Nintendo 64 controller! As well a simple one for Cave Story and improved the GBA.

Forgot to say, I improved Arcade and CPS overlays sometime ago, I think they feel better now.

A,B,C,D,E,F scheme was confusing while navigating the retroarch menus, so it’s using default retropad buttons now. Using d-pad too instead analog stick.

N64 was updated too, ParaLLEl N64 matchs the button map from Mupen64Plus now, so if you have problems with A & B buttons update your overlays.

1 Like

Nice work!

One thing always bugged me though (sorry if i’m repeating myself). Could you create a similar overlay where the D-pad also acts lie an analog stick, at the same time?

More specifically, in the normal D-pad overlay, when you slide the finger out of the touch area, the movement stops. With the analog, the movement continues even if you slide the finger all the way to the far right (or any other direction, out of the graphical bounds of the pad).

Is such a thing possible in Retroarch?

quick edit: you may ask why not use an analog overlay. Well, that’s because tapping doesn’t work with analog touch controls, only sliding. So, another way to look at the problem would be adding the ability to tap an analog pad.

Massive necro by a forum noob, I know, so I apologize massively for that, but I have an itch in my brain I need solving.

I have been running Saturn games on Retroarch on my android phone, but am bugged by the onscreen controllers I can choose. As a child of Sega, I have been using the genesis gamepad overlay, but this lacks the L and R shoulder buttons, which for games like Panzer Dragoon are utterly essential. Pads with the shoulder buttons are set up for a SNES style 4 button layout, not the Sega 3 or 6 button layout, and are a poor substitute\clumsy.

This thread is the only place online that I have been able to find anyone referencing a Saturn gamepad overlay. Alas, the link in the post where that file can be found is now long dead. Does anyone happen to have that file, or a Saturn pad overlay? I lack the knowhow to take the existing genesis pad and paste on some shoulder buttons, so any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Actually, no worries. Only took a few hours for me to have a root around in the .cfg file for the genesis controller overlay and to work out how to add in a few lines for the shoulder buttons, with suitable .png files as on screen icons.

If there is any interest in anyone else using it, let me know and I shall tidy the whole thing up for redistribution.

Sure! I’m glad you got it figured out. I was going to work on it today, but I’m glad I don’t have to :smiley:

All you should need to do is make a PR that includes the new saturn.cfg or whatever and reuses the existing png files.