Frameskip option

Is there a way to enable frameskip. With some of the mame games when there is a lot to draw, the firetv quadcore slows down as well. Would a frameskip setting help?

RetroArch isn’t really setup to do frameskip at the frontend level. I think some (at least one?) core/s have a core option for it, but that’s about it.

which core are you referring to? There are three cores for mame. 2003, 2010 and 2014. The 2014 is the only core that uses the control stick. and how do you make that core specific change? appreciate it.

Yeah, I should have been more clear: I don’t think any of the MAME cores support frameskip. I think maybe PPSSPP supports it as a core option? or maybe it’s yabause…? I forget. Anyway, not MAME. Slowdowns on it are pretty much unfixable without getting a beefier device.

Are you sure it isn’t throttling? the CPU looks powerful enough to handle 2D games.

Have you tried the same games under the other mame cores?

Mame “Bleeding Edge” support frameskip just use like regular mame . it’s not exposed as a libretro core option but the libretro core act like the regular one. F8 Decrease frame skip on the fly. F9 Increase frame skip on the fly. F10 Toggle speed throttling. F11 Toggles speed display. i also suggest to setup enable_hotkey then the core will not interact with retroarch shortcuts keys. ( if using input_enable_hotkey = “f12” , then to enter rgui you have to hit F12 + F1 )

oh nice :smiley:

I appreciate the correction!

Mame “Bleeding Edge” support frameskip just use like regular mame . it’s not exposed as a libretro core option but the libretro core act like the regular one. F8 Decrease frame skip on the fly. F9 Increase frame skip on the fly. F10 Toggle speed throttling. F11 Toggles speed display. i also suggest to setup enable_hotkey then the core will not interact with retroarch shortcuts keys. ( if using input_enable_hotkey = “f12” , then to enter rgui you have to hit F12 + F1 )[/quote]

How can I know its not throttling. I’m really confused. Can I try the frams skip with F8 on my keyboard. Where is teh enable hotkey option in retroarch.? input_enable_hotkey? I’ll look a it tonight.

There is an option for throttling for multiple cores i think which is enabled. :slight_smile:

any way to enable frameskip in the MAME git core on android? pressing r2 enables the frameskip counter so it should be possible.

It is possible! I used a keyboard overlay and pressing F8 and F9 do the trick like r-type said.

Any plans to add the frameskip option to the MAME core options? On android there is no easy way to enable the frameskip, now that the simultaneous button bug is fixed that would be an awesome addition.

Edit: btw the frameskip trick also works on MAME 2010 and MAME 2014.

it’s a core option in mame2003. easy to add if anyone has any specific mame cores they wanted it to be added to?

[QUOTE=dankcushions;38464]it’s a core option in mame2003. easy to add if anyone has any specific mame cores they wanted it to be added to?[/QUOTE]Thanks did not know that, it would be awesome if someone could add the frameskip option to MAME 2010, 2014 and 2015 for android:http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5662&page=3& And windows too.

[QUOTE=talos91;38473]Thanks did not know that, it would be awesome if someone could add the frameskip option to MAME 2010, 2014 and 2015 for android:http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5662&page=3& And windows too.[/QUOTE] hmm, had a look at 2010 - looks like frameskip is set in mame.ini. i don’t think it’s very ‘libretro’ to have any sort of external options file - they should all be core options. so really, to solve it in mame2010, we need to add all the options in mame.ini as core options, and stop the core from caring about mame,ini at all, at least, in my opinion!

in the meantime, could you not just edit mame.init?

[QUOTE=dankcushions;38491]hmm, had a look at 2010 - looks like frameskip is set in mame.ini. i don’t think it’s very ‘libretro’ to have any sort of external options file - they should all be core options. so really, to solve it in mame2010, we need to add all the options in mame.ini as core options, and stop the core from caring about mame,ini at all, at least, in my opinion!

in the meantime, could you not just edit mame.init?[/QUOTE]

Where is the mame.ini located at?

not sure, probably in the same place your mame2010.so file is at.

On my android device the mame2010.so is located in the cores folder of data/retroarch but I don’t see any ini files.

Anyone knows where is the mame.ini located at?

is amazing how much users have requested to have this option to have a more enjoyable performance in games and that the only explanation from the developers is " we do not like " why is not available … frustration …