FreeJ2me fork with ready to use cores

The original core had to be compiled, there are ready to use dll/so files for Win/Linux available here from this fork:

I had the original working under Linux, this one I just tested under Windows 10, works (after installing java).

6 Likes

No luck here loading content with the core

I’m able to load the core itself (says version 1.2). In ‘core information’ it says it found the freej2me-lr.jar file correctly but when I try to load .jar file/game I only get a popup error windows that says:

‘Java Virtual Machine Launcher - Error: Unable to Access jarfile’

I do have Java 8 installed and I can open and play jar games with the “standalone” freej2me.

edit: Okay, found the problem. Apparently, the core didn’t like my folder’s name (“RetroArch 1.17.0”) so I made a new folder called “RetroArch_Aux” (no spaces) next to “RetroArch 1.17.0” and added the line:

system_directory = “D:\RetroArch_Aux\system”

to ‘FreeJ2ME.cfg’ then placed freej2me-lr.jar in it. I didn’t want to risk just renaming the folder as a few cores will use full, absolute path names in rare cases for some stuff. And well, now it works.

2 Likes

Thank you sooo much for pointing this out!

I was never able to build a working version on windows 10 before this!

Installed the latest version of Java (Java 8 Update 411). Then from this page (https://github.com/AShiningRay/freej2me/releases) downloaded and copied the “freej2me_libretro.dll” to the “cores” folder and “freej2me-lr.jar” to the “system” folder. Then loaded the game “jar” files from RA “Load Content” and the games run nicely!

By combining the best features of RA such as, per game/core configs, controller support & mappings, and shaders support, this makes the J2me games experience so much better!

But one issue I have is that, when I go into the menu the games don’t pause. Even when I quit RA, the background music keeps running and I have to force close the “Java™ Platform SE binary” task from task manager to stop the games.

Have you faced any similar issues?

Yes, I also have this issue. I don’t recall having this with Linux, but it’s just a minor annoyance I guess.

1 Like

Yeah, same issue here as well. I have to Alt+CTLR+Delete and close the process manually as it doesn’t close on itself when closing RA.

Other than that there are few games that have sound issues (or no sound at all) that aren’t present in standalone.

Doom II RPG seem very unstable if you leave the sound on (crawls in certain part and even random crashes) but they disappear if you disable sound in the game at start up.

electronicarts_doom2rpg_de_en_es_fr_it_Nokia_6120Classic_v5_2_40_N73-240710-122137

Other games plays fine without issues:

J2ME - Chuzzle_360x640_Nokia_5800-460808-240710-123213

So, overall I’d say that while the core as it is currently is not perfect it’s very much usable.

1 Like

Searching around the internet, I’ve found a more newer post from a Chinese Forum (Link), which links to a Weiyun cloud drive (https://share.weiyun.com/3EVcqXoG). But even after trying a bunch of different ways, I don’t seem to be able to create a WeChat or QQ account in order to download it.

So maybe someone with such accounts can test it out and see if this version has the same issues or not?

I know this core isn’t meant for Android but it doesn’t work there… (I used the .so file for Linux)