Gambatte wont accept custom Palettes

So, now I’m trying to add custom palettes to Gambette, and it won’t accept custom palettes. What do I need to do?

I don’t think that’s exposed in the libretro-ization.

Yes, it is possible it was implemented long time ago. What you need is to create a folder called “palettes” inside the system folder. Then you will need to add your palettes, they need to be in the format:

[General] Background0=11846369 Background1=15851184 Background2=9917014 Background3=0 Sprite%2010=0 Sprite%2011=16316664 Sprite%2012=14778518 Sprite%2013=8337480 Sprite%2020=0 Sprite%2021=16316664 Sprite%2022=14778518 Sprite%2023=8337480 slectedScheme=SUPER MARIOLAND

(please note the typo in the last line… that’s is the correct naming… the number are those provided by the standalone version of gambatte).

And you need to name it using the internal name of the game, i.e. DONKEYKONGLAND95.pal, ZELDA.pal, etc… of DEFAULT:pal (this one would be used for all games not having a specific .pal file)

And a side note: it will only work with GB games, not GBC…

And finally, you will need to set the palette option in the core options to “custom” and restart RA… you will then get your custom palette working…

Hope that helps.

oh nice. thanks for the correction!

I’m still not getting Gambatte to cooperate.

I have a DEFAULT.PAL file that looks like this

[General] Background0=10140443 Background1=9087769 Background2=3105072 Background3=931599 Sprite%2010=10140443 Sprite%2011=9087769 Sprite%2012=3105072 Sprite%2013=931599 Sprite%2020=10140443 Sprite%2021=9087769 Sprite%2022=3105072 Sprite%2023=931599 slectedScheme=DEFAULT

It’s in /data/data/com.retroarch/system/palettes and the colorization option in cores is set to custom, but I can only get a grayscale image. How did you handle it, netux79?

[QUOTE=SuperL2;34155]I’m still not getting Gambatte to cooperate.

I have a DEFAULT.PAL file that looks like this

[General] Background0=10140443 Background1=9087769 Background2=3105072 Background3=931599 Sprite%2010=10140443 Sprite%2011=9087769 Sprite%2012=3105072 Sprite%2013=931599 Sprite%2020=10140443 Sprite%2021=9087769 Sprite%2022=3105072 Sprite%2023=931599 slectedScheme=DEFAULT

It’s in /data/data/com.retroarch/system/palettes and the colorization option in cores is set to custom, but I can only get a grayscale image. How did you handle it, netux79?[/QUOTE]

Uhm seems to be correct… maybe it’s just the caps of the file name (not sure if android is caps sensitive)… try with “default.pal” and ensure that the system directory is located there in that path you provided.

I’ve tried correcting the caps, but I’m still only able to get a BW palette in Gamebette. I’m trying to get the classic pea green look without the battery-intensive shader.

Palettes must be broken in Android. Can I put in a request for a fix?

No, please try again with the attached palette I have used in gambatte… and please, double check the system directory is the correct one and that the palettes folder is accessible (correct permissions).

Also, please note that the “internal” option in gambatte gives you access to some already existing palettes from gambatte… if you look for the “special 1” and disable the “auto coloring” option you will get a pea effect colorizing… maybe you will like it… Hope any of these options helps you…

still nothing. I even copied the copied it to /system/palettes and still nothing. I can’t even get a palette from special 1 and internal (no auto coloring option to disable either).

Are you using Retroarch Android. Do I have to edit the config to make sure Retroarch can find the palettes? If it helps, I’m using the latest nightly (based on 1.3), so something might have gotten broken.

Oh ok… so even when you set it to auto coloring you aren’t getting any coloring? If so then yes it’s an issue you may need to report in the gambatte github. No, I have used other version but I don’t use the android version. But I have used and now I’m remember that once I try using gambatte on android and I had issues with the coloring but mine was that the screen was too dark… are you getting this issue too? What about of posting a screenshoot?

When I set it to internal, I get the GBC palettes, but that’s the only time I get color… Sometimes I get the "screen is too dark problem as well. I will try to get a screenshot.

Well, set it to internal and in the option below change the palette until you reach the end and you will find the “Special” palettes. The first of them tries to imitate the original GB colors (yellow/green) but to get the accurate color you need to disable the “Color correction” option.

This is what I get with Internal, Special 1 and color correction set to disabled. Notice how dark it is.

I’m convinced more than ever that Gambette colorization on Android isn’t working properly. How can I report it?

[QUOTE=SuperL2;34234]This is what I get with Internal, Special 1 and color correction set to disabled. Notice how dark it is.

I’m convinced more than ever that Gambette colorization on Android isn’t working properly. How can I report it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s wrong… the color is too dark… well to report it you will need to open an issue in the github for gambatte however I see you created one… but the issue described there is different… Maybe gambatte is working fine but the screen is too dark that you can’t distinguish the colors. I think you best bet it to change the issue or open another one for reporting the dark screen issue… once this is resolved you can try again and see if that solves the one related to the palettes you already reported… I’m pretty it will be that way :slight_smile:

In fact I think I know what is wrong and I have an old working core I can provide if you know how to replace a RA core within the android filesystem. I think it’s a bit difficult for the standard user but if you are willing to try in the meantime the issue is officially solved in github just tell me which version you need: armeabi, armeabi-v7a or x86 and I can post ot here.

I know where the core files are in RA Android and how to access them. If you provided me the working core, I could most certainly try.

Also, I need the ARM, not the x86

OK here it is:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_bAsDq_HhHDbGw4OHhFb09sOWc&usp=sharing

Please if this works for you let me know so I can submit the fix to github and everybody can use it.

The old core works fine. I was finally able to get the Special 1 palette (more of a yellow than a true pee/pea green).

However, custom palettes are still broken for me. If I try to select custom, Gambatte will boot up the last non-custom palatte (auto, internal or none) that I used. The problem is still not fixed.

Well as far as I remember the GB screen was not much green but yellow (at least for me a bit more yellow than green), also remember to disable the option “Color correction” you may get a bit more accurate GB color for that Special palette.

And regarding the default.pal it should work… I would suggest that by this point there are no much option of what could be wrong… Please insist on confirming the correct path for the system folder (for example check a core that uses a bios files to see if it is being found, etc) and the palettes folder… they should be accessible for the RA application… a way to test would be to set a 777 permission to those folders and files so you can at least ensure the problem is not with permissions. I remember the paths on android could be a bit confusing… I mean that, even when the retroarch config files paths point to somewhere the frontend changes it… well at least in the old version I used when I had an android.

That last point did it. Thank you netux79.

To get the palettes to work, I had to put the in the same directory as the games (as that’s what Retroarch defaults to). That’s the rub. I wasn’t thinking of them like that.