Game & Watch games using MAME core on Android not working

Hi!

So, as you may know, Game & Watch are emulated on MAME. They work on Retroarch for Windows using the latest MAME ARCADE core by disabling softlists and using the alternate render method option if you want to use artworks.

This used to work on RetroArch for Android too… until after core v0.226. This was the latest version in which the games worked by disabling softlists and so on. They work pretty fine on 226, however, if you try to update or using a new version (like the current 0.238) you just get a grey screen no matter what options you choose. Happened on all versions back to 0.226

Like I said, this is just an Android issue, as they still work on RetroArch for Windows using the latest core, for example. So, wondering, what could be the issue? Would be cool to use the latest core and not an old one that’s not available anywhere anymore.

Thanks!!

They have trouble including all MAME drivers in the Android build. So only drivers for arcade games were included in Android build since 0.228. Builds for desktop OSes are not affected. hunterk already explained it here: MAME console and handheld games doesn't load on last version

2 Likes

Ahhhh, that explains it :frowning: Oh well, hopefully there could be a workaround, a core with only console and handheld drivers or something similar in the future. Anyway, thanks a bunch for the info!

1 Like

Friends, can anyone save, or who knows where to get, 32bit mame core version 0.226 ?? Please share)

1 Like

While it would take little learning, you could check out the GitHub commit for that version and compile it yourself.

This is the 64bit version if that helps somehow: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IcJg2Sq_h1dGAXrEwshm6SJvU7wKBtFc/view

Found it here, as the person in that post was having the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameandwatch/comments/kpqs09/game_watch_emulation_with_mame_on_retroarch_for/

Yes, thanks, I already know (yesterday) this source, and this version works on my phone. But it doesn’t work on my tv box. I need a 32 bit version for it. I asked the same question in that thread on reddit :slight_smile:

found

@svk The link you posted is for 0.227 32bit version which still crashes Retroarch on my tv box. Can you share the 0.226 32bit version if you still have it?

Thanks!

Sorry, I have only 0.227 32bit version.

@svk Just to confirm you’re able to run the Game & Watch fine with that version on your TV box? I ask because I have tried with that version and it always crashes even on other Android devices. I tried with rom version 0.224 and it still crashes, not sure what the difference is to be honest. Would you have an idea?