Getting .dll errors left and right

I keep getting dll errors. With RetroArch 1.5.0, it was the same 3 files - avcodec-57, avformat-57.dll, and libopenal-1.dll.

I upgraded to a fresh install of RetroArch 1.6.7, and now the files affected are avcodec-57, libass-9.dll, and avutil-55.dll.

The actual error message is: avcodec-57.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc0000020.

The simple fix is to just overwrite the files with new ones, but the errors keep coming back, and seemingly at random. I can’t follow any specific sequence of events to make it happen consistently. I’ve tried opening and closing RetroArch 30+ times in a row without problems.

The only things I’ve done with the new install, were to copy over my core remap files and copy over all my old cores.

It is worth noting that I downloaded all the split cores that HunterK provided, and I also downloaded the special core for mednafen PSX that werz posted. It seems that all of my problems started around this time, but really can’t say that that is the issue here, because I haven’t even loaded any games yet on the new build.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Download the “redist” package from buildbot.libretro.com and it should include all of the libs you need. Just copy them all into your RetroArch directory, overwriting any conflicts.

Do you think maybe my hard drive is failing? Because the errors keep happening even after I overwrite them.

you probably have conflicting folders there, probably ra in another folder and extracted redist in another folder. there is no reason for those dll errors if retroarch.exe and the required dll is in the same folder.

maybe start fresh with a new main RA folder, and move remaining folders(playlist, saves, states) when things are working.

But what I’m saying is, it seems like those files are being corrupted, because the simple act of replacing them fixes the issue temporarily.

That’s why I think it may be a failing hard drive. What do you think wertz?

OT:

if you suspect a failing hdd, install something like CrystalDiskInfo and check smart status, it should list there errors and such.

I have a 2nd hard drive I used to back up my home arcade, and I just started using it as the main drive to test, and the error happened within 10 minutes.

So it is doubtful that it is the hard drive.

Wertz I did what you suggested - I typically have all of my new RetroArch builds in a master folder. So it will be like R:\Arcade_Emulators\Retroarch\Retroarch 1.6.7\

It didn’t help though - I still managed to get the error rather quickly.

I’m baffled. I did a system restore from 3 months ago in case it was malware, and I still get the error.

Unless there’s malware on the R drive maybe?

It may be a defective windows 10 update. I’m not positive, but it’s a possibility.

source: https://appuals.com/bad-image-is-either-not-designed-to-run-on-windows-or-it-contains-an-error/

I used a drive image back up from 3 months ago, and didn’t reboot while I tested, and I still managed to get the error - so a windows update isn’t the cause. I was really hoping that would be it, it would have made sense.

I’m a power user and I do a lot of testing. Can’t figure this one out though. :frowning:

Well, try it without those unsupported cores and see if it still happens.

Thanks Hunterk, I’ll give that a shot.

I downloaded the zip version (of retroarch 1.6.7), and I just noticed after right clicking on the files and trying to experiment with making the files in question ‘read only’ that at the bottom next to security, it says 'This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.

I went ahead and unblocked all the dll’s.

Do you guys think that might be the problem?

Edit: I think that may be the culprit fingers crossed. Those split cores I downloaded had the ‘might be blocked’ status when I right clicked on them. I went ahead and unblocked all those too. Maybe they were somehow related.

interesting. keep us posted :slight_smile:

Sigh it didn’t work, avformat-57.dll popped up with the error, and when i checked the file itself this time, it says it’s 0 bytes. Not sure what’s going on here.

It seems like malware but I don’t see how. I did a drive image restore from 3 months ago, that was one of the first things I did.

Edit: My ‘read only’ idea might be my best bet here, but why are the files being corrupted? That’s what I’d like to know.

Now I’ve got 12 new strange ‘.eeprom’ files in the directory that seemingly came out of nowhere, that’s a new development. This only occured after unblocked all the dlls.

0F6A1C2C.eeprom 5E2CDBC0.eeprom 8FEA5AB0.eeprom 67F9AB3A.eeprom 348E6449.eeprom 27594C6A.eeprom B14C4753.eeprom CD5BF827.eeprom DE55DCC7.eeprom E28756DE.eeprom EEE8D61D.eeprom FA7775AE.eeprom

I believe those are either savefiles from a core that uses eeproms for saving or an unarchived arcade game. Either way, nothing to worry about, but obviously something you want to pin down before it makes a bigger mess.

i would take a look at whatever security software you have, and whitelist retroarch’s folder and reinstall. in anycase, i would be so reluctant to keep using an OS that makes files zero files for no reason at all.

I have McAfee. It’s garbage av software but it always tells you with a pop up when it’s screwing you.

I hear what you’re saying about the OS but I’m not entirely sure that’s the issue here. All this just started a week or so ago. It reeks of malware but I’m not sure how. Or, maybe there’s an issue with the latest windows build of RetroArch.

had my 2TB worth of files from my 4TB storage suddenly become zero bytes last May, since then all my remaining files are now moved to ext4 and using linux 99% of the time. windows is now only used if i want to play NBA2k stuff and or tools that require windows OS. dont wanna compromise linux to install wine/playonlinux, but thats just me.

Yeah Windows is a bag of dicks in general. But unfortunately I’ve got too much invested in it. :frowning:

If I have to learn the hard way (and that’s always a possibility) I’ll probably make the same decision you did.