Gizmo crt shader

@hunterk Ok. Maybe this is true. I don‘t have a crt for reference anymore.

Here is another example from a Sony Triniton tv.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/1348ys9/meh_i_tried_convergence_attempt_1/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

1 Like

I have a Trinitron (RGB) and the mask is the most visible thing even from a distance. It’s visible everywhere even on full white. It emits around 3 times the light of a typical laptop screen so it doesn’t loose any brightness. An LCD TV 30" and more emits more light because you are supposed to sit far away from it, contrary to LCD PC monitors. Especially laptops want to conserve energy.

LCD contrast ratio is the actual measurement how much light is emited

1 Like

I think I have to side with gizmo here. From my experience, scanlines were more visible than the mask.

My experience many years ago when I put my face to the PAL TV (PAL has more lines, thefore are smaller?), I mostly noticed the mask and not the scanlines. The TV itself and signal (certain colors are making mask more visible than scanlines in example maybe) might play a role too, plus the fact that if you look for scanlines, then you will see them more than the mask, because your brain is focused on that. In addition to that, judging others photographs or videos depend on the hardware and how good it was captured too.

Hope I could add some confusion to the discussion.

I added some color independent vertical grid lines. If only R or G or B is used the lines are darker and so on. Don’t really know if this looks better now. Do you see mask pattern from 1-2m distance?

Yes, it can depend on the colour and also the area of the screen where you’re seeing scanlines, because of focus etc.

You can clearly see a difference between a scanline free area and mask only on PAL 50 Hz as well though, even if the lines get squeezed compared to 60hz.

As for distance, I usually sit about 1m from my 20" TV (where the picture is from), and notice at least there is some sort of structure, even if the exact pattern can’t be recognized.The difference between scanlined 240p and 480i is also pretty clear.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I don’t mean that masks are always more noticeable in general, just that on TVs with coarse masks and low TVL (usually small ones but sometimes on big ones, too), the scanline gaps get subsumed by the chunky phosphors.

This is what causes some people to claim (erroneously) that “the TV in my bedroom didn’t have scanlines”, etc.

3 Likes

Ok. I have found a real crt. It show good horizontal separation if a mask is applied.