Good (or best) shaders for Reicast

That’s CRT-Geom flat, with an img-adj pass in between if I need to center the picture / adj brightness.

It’s right here:

Thanks for that. Is there a way to get the same scanline weight but not force a 240p res?

I’m not sure what you mean: those same size 239 scanlines on top of a 480p picture? That probably won’t look good and those sprites are not enlarged at an integer scale of their original size I suppose.

But for anything else with scanlines at 480p, I can’t help as anything looks horrible on my 1080p screen.

Well when i use the shader you linked above it just makes the game (crazy taxi in this case) look like its running in a lower res despite me having selected 1080p res in the core options

Well that’s the aim to get the rendering more in line with those low res 2D sprites in Capcom games. For that, 640x480 in internal res core option should be better.

That’s not meant to be used with the other 3D games you can enjoy at higher res.

Guys, sorry to bump up this old topic, but I am trying to follow Tatsuya´s steps to reach the 240p but cannot accomplish it. What I do is place in the pass 0 the aan.cg with filter nearest and scale don´t care, and then in pass 1 the geom one with the same values. What am I missing?

Thanks!

You can’t do it from the GUI. You have to edit the preset in a text editor.

Try the n64-aa-crt.cgp preset inside the ‘cgp’ directory. It uses the same process he describes and you can edit it with other shaders to change the look.

Thanks hunterk. I tried some combinations with that one, but wasn´t sure I really liked it. I ended up using aann, stock, and geom, but I am having a situation: If I leave the stock one with linear, everything looks great except the characters, they look blurred; if I change linear to nearest, everything looks better overall and crisper, but there is a space in the top left and center that tears and bothers me a lot (diagonal borders of the character image, diagonal borders of “Millionaire fighting” and the text itself looks messed up). Link below with the two images:

Do you know how could I reach a state in which everything looks sharp/crisp, but the top/left section does not look chopped? I think I do not understand quite a bit all there is about the shader settings, but I am learning every day. Thanks!

Hmm, very strange. Does it do the same thing with other CRT shaders?

Yeap. Tried with aperture, cgwg, easymode. Its similarto what Tatsuya said back in Sept about a diagonal tear. Will try to play some more with it. Thnx!

This is the shader I posted in those screenshots.

In Reicast core options choose 640x480 for the internal resolution.

1 Like

Tatsuya! Looks gorgeous now :slight_smile: Thanks for the eyegasm. I still have a lot to learn to tweak this stuff the way I like. Cheers!

what systems or games do you recommend this preset on? is it best for just dreamcast of would it be good on other 3d systems/ games?

This is made specially for those Capcom games with low resolution sprites on Reicast. I’m not sure there is many more use cases beyond that.

Ah, I think I know what was causing the jaggies: the n64 preset forces 320 width, as well as 240 height, and that was causing it to lose pixels on the x-axis.

1 Like

I noticed that aann is skipping 1 scanline, on top for reicast, bottom for PC-98 which is a machine that renders everything at 400p even if it’s native 200p games.
I managed to hack a fix for that, image gets centred now.

Sharing the crt shader I’m using now:
Download cg shader

It’s dividing the vertical resolution by 2, so it works for 480p Dreamcast games and PC-98 400p games, anything else in that style too.

Guys, now with NAOMI support in Reicast, I am finding out that the cg ones I used for regular Dreamcast CRT+NTSC+Scanlines are no longer selectable for it (not compatible?), and glsl shaders like geom or easymode are either not working or messing the scanlines horribly. I have a mid-end pc, so I cannot use complex shaders.

Which glsl combination would you use/recommend for NAOMI to reduce the resolution and apply proper scanlines/curvature to it? Apologies for my still nooby state with shaders understanding after all these years.

EDIT: I just messed around and got it to a point where I “kind of” like it. I will leave my glslp content in case somebody wants it. Based on Lottes fast, it is very light:

shaders = "2"
shader0 = "C:\Retroarch\shaders\shaders_glsl\stock.glsl"
filter_linear0 = "true"
wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input0 = "false"
alias0 = ""
float_framebuffer0 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer0 = "false"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_x0 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y0 = "absolute"
scale_y0 = "240"
shader1 = "C:\Retroarch\shaders\shaders_glsl\crt\shaders\crt-lottes-fast.glsl"
wrap_mode1 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input1 = "false"
alias1 = ""
float_framebuffer1 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer1 = "false"
parameters = "MASK;MASK_INTENSITY;SCANLINE_THINNESS;SCAN_BLUR;CURVATURE;TRINITRON_CURVE;CORNER;CRT_GAMMA"
MASK = "1.000000"
MASK_INTENSITY = "0.250000"
SCANLINE_THINNESS = "0.500000"
SCAN_BLUR = "2.500000"
CURVATURE = "0.040000"
TRINITRON_CURVE = "0.000000"
CORNER = "5.000000"
CRT_GAMMA = "2.400000"

One of the best I have seen for Dreamcast and Naomi is crt-flat-aan-force240p, but its only in CG Is it possible to convert it in GLSL ?

Thanks

Yeah, just copy the cgp into your GLSL shaders (if the cgp is usually in the ‘cgp’ directory, put your glslp version in the ‘presets’ directory), rename the file to glslp and then go into the file and change all of the instances of *.cg to *.glsl and it should work, though you may need to correct a few paths, depending on where you put the preset.

1 Like

I did it for myself, so I can share it.
I fixed the line that gets lost with aan when reducing the resolution. (vertical rounding)

Download

3 Likes