Having some troubles

More or less new to lakka, and am having trouble with a few things. First, the sound coming through HDMI (fixed through google searches). Second, game pads. I have about 15 different game pads, from the logitech ones to retro style copies (snes, genesis, n64, etc) and only 3 or 4 are usable (the logitech rumble pads are useless in 4.3, the ones that work are oddly enough the cheap wireless snes clone controllers) and third, performance. Im running on pc with an AMD FX 6000 series with 16 GB ram and an AMD 7770 1GB graphics card, and even snes games stutter. Fourth and last, is i tried using vulkan as graphics driver, and lakka no longer boots. Stays at the flower screen.
What am i doing wrong? Side note: an honest question: why is there no option for console on startup? I know one can be done through ssh but it seems silly not to be able to push an f key during boot to get there to fix/edit/move whatever if needed.

For console access, see if this post helps:

Gamepads that don’t have autoconfigs won’t work automatically, but you can map the buttons and save the config in the menu and they will work just fine.

Regarding performance, there are cores that are very demanding. Try another SNES core (Snes9x for example).

many thanks on the command line info. as for the joypads, its near inpossible. selection flies all over the place (like one is hitting random keys up down left right etc)

I find it kinda interesting how you can have any emulation not dependent on 3d running anything less than 60 fps these days. Especially the 16 bit generation. I remember emulating in dos on genecyst and zsnes back in the late 90’s. I do realize our screen resolutions have increased, but still blows my mind. I keep trying to find the “best” cores to use for each system, going off of recommendations as well as experience so ill keep trying

There are some cores that really work the CPU hard (even modern ones) to achieve the best accuracy possible. Those old emulators were built for speed and are, as I understand, full of workarounds and hacks.

There are cores that balance speed and accuracy better for different devices.

1 Like

This doesn’t really cause any problems unless you’re trying to run heavy shaders. The main reason they’re more demanding is that they do a better job of recreating the behaviors of the emulated hardware. Those 90s emus could run on actual potatoes but many games were entirely broken, had bad sound, etc.

EDIT: and yes, as metchebe mentioned, we have snapshots of some very old emus (namely, snes9x2005 and mame2003) specifically because they’re so fast, even though they also have a lot of accuracy problems. This is useful for running games on severely underpowered platforms, like Chinese retro gaming handhelds.

My guess for this is that these gamepads are being configured as a device that shares a similar device id, but the mapping is not the same.

I would do the following to try to fix this:

• Change the autoconfig directory from /tmp/joypads to /storage/joypads so that retroarch ignores the existing joypad configs, which are presumably wrong.
  • Connect a gamepad and try to configure it. You will need a keyboard for this, since no gamepads will work for navigating the menu until they are mapped.
  • If it works, save the config.

This is easier to do in RetroArch on another OS (Windows or Linux). The paths will be different but the process is the same.

Indeed. Coupled with less and less low-level programming due to cross platform compatibility.

Thank you all for responding, (and letting me vent) I think im getting the hang of it lol.

The controllers i gave up on. if it does funky stuff when i plug it in, to the bin it goes. I did read that the Logitech pads are detected as both a controller and HID, and there were several requests to fix this in the forum.

Only problems im running into now are bios and roms (i have the roms, just not all are recognized)

Slowly but surely ill get to savor my retro games! It will be an intimidating Full tower of Nostalgic Bliss!

1 Like