Hidden Gems to Play

They just changed the name to Lost in Blue on DS. I don’t know about the GB games, but every game in the DS series is standalone and are definitely hidden gems. There’s also a Wii game, but the DS games get the formula a little better I think.

Here’s one I never see anyone talking about:

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S Kurukkurin (Super Famicom)

There are loosely similar puzzle games out there but none that are quite the same as this one. So if you’re a fan of puzzle games it’s worth checking out. It’s my all-time favorite puzzle game aside from Tetris and I’m not even a Sailor Moon fan. It’s just fun.

1 Like

Another title from the past that has a special place in my heart is Anachronox.

That’s I believe Windows XP era, so not really emulable (maybe it would run with Windows’ compatibility mode, but I’m not sure). It came as a western world’s response to jRPGs that were trending at this time since FF7. But it takes the concept, twists it, turns it upside down, inside out and then adds it’s own special flavor to it.

How brilliant it was is evidenced by its cast of characters. I dare you to find another game where you can have a party of a clumsy detective, an ex-stripper who can kill you in 101 ways, a scientist who blew up a whole world in a failed experiment, a powerless superhero, and an actual planet (yes, a PLANET).

Good times. Too bad there was no sequel, because the ending really suggests one was planned.

3 Likes

Very famous at the time and today totally forgotten, Dick Tracy of Genesis.

Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari It is a true Japanese gem with Ghibli spirit. There is a very slow Spanish translation project, although I hope to play it with the translator IA de Retroarch.

From arcade Fighter’s History, a copy of Street Fighter II although according to some much more refined. And The Outfoxies, the precursor of Super Smash Bros. You have to play it.

3 Likes

Dick Tracy has a great design.

1 Like

For the Neo Geo Pocket color this one is pretty good. It’s rather dark for anything I have seen for the hand held from that era. “Dark Arms - Beast Buster”

Pretty cool mechanic for powering up and leveling up your weapons. So it would be a Action RPG game. I think a reboot would be fine for this one.

RA cheats for USA version Neo Geo Pocket Color info link

3 Likes

Any of the DOS games from the shareware era. Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Jill of the Jungle, Xargon, Hocus Pocus etc.

They are a nice breath of fresh air from the non-proprietary games ported to all the other computer platforms.

Tragically hidden now that we have the worlds entire game library at our disposal. :grin:

4 Likes
  • Alfred Chicken NES

• Little Samson NES 

• Vice project Doom NES

• Adventures of little Ralph Playstation
3 Likes

@Joystick2600 do you have more cheats for the Neo Geo Pocket/Color Games?

Not yet, I ended up doing some for PSP. The only one I did for Neo Geo Pocket Color is that “Dark Arms - Beast Buster” game. I might work on some at a later time and link the whole cheat folder too.

update/edit: @DaveTheMan1985 I’ve added Metal Slug 1st,2nd Mission to Neo Geo Pocket Color Libretro Froum Link to cheat post

1 Like

Thanks Mate.

Also just wondering where you found the Codes from?

1 Like

It can be tricky and time consuming but you can search for cheats in Retroarch/Lakka OS. I just happen to use that feature from Retroarch & Lakka OS to find the cheats from trial and error. It falls into the category of Retroarch Handled cheats. You can find the documentation here.

1 Like

Thank you for the list! I’ll definitely try Joe & Mac as well as Demon Front. Those look fantastic!

1 Like

I’ve used the code search function. It’s not perfect but it can help. There are also some tutorial videos you can view on the Odysee channel of @Linux_Gaming for some insight. There are more than one video on cheat code searching there.

I do not have the time anymore for this sort of thing.

https://odysee.com/@Linux_Gaming:2?view=home or https://open.lbry.com/@Linux_Gaming:2

Example video for BlazBlue Calamity Trigger Portable (PSP)

1 Like

The Ganbare Goemon series. We only got one for the SNES back in the 90’s that was localized, and likely censored in some way.

Ganbare Goemon 3 - Shishi Juuroku Hyoue no Karakuri Manjigatame

Ganbare Goemon Kirakira Douchuu - Boku ga Dancer ni Natta Riyuu

There are still fan translations going on for retro games that are worth checking out.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions

Atari ST Robotz
Atari ST Dan Dare III (controls are a bit off, a good game all in all with some depth)
Amiga Cyberzerk (nice TV style presentation)

2 Likes

Fire 'n Ice nes best puzzle game

1 Like

klonoa and new zealand story are alright

Fire 'n Ice Amiga/Atari ST
Operation Alexandra Amstrad Cpc
Crazy Cars 3 Amiga
Creatures C64
Into the eagle's nest Amiga/Atari ST/C64
2 Likes

Some of the best strategy:

Dune MD - Amiga