This game:
While I have never tried any, I donāt believe any of the Saturn cores have the the Video CD card implemented. Looking through the docs for Beetle Saturn, I do not see any mention of it. Not even sure any standalone emulators do either.
Looks like the list of games that were compatible with the cards is pretty small, and only Lunar required it.
Like what Neofuuma said, there does not seem to be anyone working on tools to emulate Video CD cards or the Hi-Saturn required to run this game. This may be the best version of Lunar 1, and it will be lost to time. (melodrama)
Are you sure about this ? The yabause-based cores seem to have a driver for mpeg card emulation : https://github.com/libretro/yabause/blob/master/yabause/src/mpeg_card.c
LOL Itās not that big a deal,
the PSX version is better and itās in English.
Although Iām always surprised to find unemulated and lost stuff, like the Mega Drive LaserDisc.
This made me too funny, it reminded me of a memeā¦
All the emulation sites, all the forums, all the youtubers, absolutely all the internet community:
āLunar Complete canāt be emulated, only original hardwareā.
KRONOS:
Edit:
I think I got excited before my time, the game gets stuck when loading a video, it stays on black screen.
I loaded the game by skipping videos with Start until I got to this first scene and I thought it worked.
Now that I try to try again leaving the animations, it stays in black and does not advance. You canāt go beyond that scene because the video that follows canāt be skipped.
Something curious, if Force HLE BIOS is activated, the game starts directly on the screen that needs the video card.
There is this emulator called Nova (v0.70) that can emulate this game beautifully, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete - Sega Saturn
You need a Video CD Card ROM though, but itās basically perfect.
Beetle Saturn apparently added MPEG support
Seems it expects a file called āmpeg_card.binā in the system folder which (I think) is just the file āmpr-17773e-t.ic303ā renamed -itself found in the MAME set hivcd2d.zip, itself found in the MAME softlist āsat_vccartā. This is just based off what I found right now however and the expected file could be something else. The core doesnāt tell you if you have the right file when you go into ācore infoā.
So far, had no success getting Lunar Saturn to work (just gets the no video card found message at boot). If anyone has any luck getting MPEG card to work with the beetle core let me know in the thread.
What you need is firmware for a Saturn MPEG card. I found 7 different firmware versions here: https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97184#Post97184
Rename the .bin file inside to Mpeg_card.bin according to the core instructions and then put it in the System folder. But Iāve tried all 7 documents, and none of them work.
Itās most likely the PAL version, which is the same as the āvcd.zipā file in the MAME software list, but it doesnāt work either.

It looks like thereās a lot going onāthese two are now showing up on this screen, just like Kronos, and as for Emir, I have no ideaāit wonāt open.
Eringās open-source Saturn emulator seems to have pulled off a miracle with Lunar and other MPEG titles. I havenāt been able to test it yet.
Yeah, itās bugged if you use 150% display scaling.
I remember reading about Ares emulating the Mega LD, Iāve never tried it, though:
Hereās the link from the screenshot above.
WOW! What a surprise!
This is a major milestone in emulation.
And starting with v147, it emulates PC-Engine LDROM.
Another thing: just recently, MAME (0.242) has been emulating LaserDisc beautifullyā¦
I think Iām going to fill up my discs ^-^
Will we have Ares RetroArch?
I canāt get this working either, I use beetle Saturn core itās nice to see the option there but do wonder if itās been implemented yet, even on VCD movies discs Iāve tried all sorts of Saturn vcd card imgs like the links above and nothing work just comes up with System Requires Application, would be nice to see this working one day either that or the imgs of the cards that are around are duds.
Yeah, Iām also guessing the VCD card support may not actually be hooked up yet and the core option may only be there as a placeholder for now (again, just guessing).





