How do Saturn games that require MPEG cards work?

This game:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (MPEG Card Version) (JP, 07/04/97)

When I started to enter the game, it asked me to insert an MPEG card. How can I run it?

While I have never tried any, I don’t believe any of the Saturn cores have the the Video CD card implemented. Looking through the docs for Beetle Saturn, I do not see any mention of it. Not even sure any standalone emulators do either.

Looks like the list of games that were compatible with the cards is pretty small, and only Lunar required it.

Like what Neofuuma said, there does not seem to be anyone working on tools to emulate Video CD cards or the Hi-Saturn required to run this game. This may be the best version of Lunar 1, and it will be lost to time. (melodrama)

Are you sure about this ? The yabause-based cores seem to have a driver for mpeg card emulation : https://github.com/libretro/yabause/blob/master/yabause/src/mpeg_card.c

1 Like

LOL It’s not that big a deal,
the PSX version is better and it’s in English.

Although I’m always surprised to find unemulated and lost stuff, like the Mega Drive LaserDisc.

This made me too funny, it reminded me of a meme…

All the emulation sites, all the forums, all the youtubers, absolutely all the internet community:

“Lunar Complete can’t be emulated, only original hardware”.

KRONOS:

Edit:

I think I got excited before my time, the game gets stuck when loading a video, it stays on black screen.

I loaded the game by skipping videos with Start until I got to this first scene and I thought it worked.

Now that I try to try again leaving the animations, it stays in black and does not advance. You can’t go beyond that scene because the video that follows can’t be skipped.

Something curious, if Force HLE BIOS is activated, the game starts directly on the screen that needs the video card.

1 Like