Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I would like to know what specifically changes this right here:

to this: Is it the ScaleFX? And if so, how do I make it do that?

4 Likes

This particular part is MDAPT which is blending the dithering, so to use it set the mdapt parameter to higher than 0

3 Likes

Mega Bezel is updated to V 0.9.018 2021-06-19

Changes:

• Updated to latest Guest-DrVenom-Advanced
    • Smart Edges now works in Tate Mode (although it needs more work to work with presets with the scalefx upscale in it)
    • Negative Glow adds glow with mask (This is something Guest added)
    • Fix interlacing for vertical, so Interlace Mode 4 now looks the same as when in horizontal
  • Added Rolling Fake Scanlines & Controls for specifying fake scanline size
  • Nesguy TVL presets in Experimental

Experimental New-Pixie-Look Smoothed with Rolling Scanlines

Nesguy TVL 270

Nesguy TVL 360

Nesguy TVL 540

10 Likes

That rolling scanline preset looks great! I noticed one problem though. There seems to be an issue with dark colors. They become bright and it doesn’t look right. I noticed it in Dark Cloud whenever the screen went black.

If this is intentional, what setting can I use to adjust this? Thanks.

1 Like

Hmm, can you post a screenshot? With and without the shader?

I found the setting. It’s under AFTERGLOW. It’s called brighten black. Setting it to 0 seems to fix it. For the example I used a spot in Mega Man X4. The first picture is this the new rolling shader. The other one is the advanced guest Dr Vemon shader.

You can tell in the area right behind Zero, It’s way too bright with the new shader.

2 Likes

Ah yeah I see what is wrong, basically there isn’t any gradual tapering off of what colors are affected by the brighten black. What is happening is the darkest color is brightened, but the colors around it are untouched.

This is something I have on my list to try to address so it can be used without a harsh transition.

Only allowed one image per post.

1 Like

I also noticed something strange with Silent Hill. It doesn’t seem to matter which of your shaders I use but at the title screen and item menu, the aspect ratio changes and the screen changes size. This also messes up the bezel. There’s normally a PlayStation bezel like in that mega man x 4 picture I sent.

1 Like

Thanks for the snapshot, what is happening here is that in these games the resolution sometimes changes between screens.

The Mega Bezel is guessing at the resolution of the current screen and guessing wrong.

Can you turn on the resolution on screen debug and take a screenshot so we can see what the core resolution is at this time? It’s the second parameter in the list.

Thanks for the response, but I figured it out. I changed the screen orientation to horizontal instead of auto. The resolution is 320x480 when it happens.

3 Likes

I just tried the GTU parameter, and it does wonders on games like Donkey Kong Country, here are two screenshots, first one is GTU OFF, the other is GTU ON :

Notice how it smoothes the edges of the ropes in the foreground. :smiley:

4 Likes

@passballtotucker Apart from the “brighten black” issue, your screenshot looks amazing, would you mind sharing your settings please ? :smiley:

3 Likes

Made a ‘Scott the Woz’ like preset, saw it on the video and wanted to have a go at making my own.

@HyperspaceMadness is there a way to specify the background image through the simple preset? Right now I just edited the Guest-Dr-Venom base preset to change the image, but I imagine there is an easier way.

1 Like

@Tromzy my shader profile for psx:

#reference ":/shaders/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Presets/SONY_Playstation/Playstation-[Rolling]-[Night].slangp"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_ORIENTATION = "1.000000"
HSM_SCANLINE_DIRECTION = "1.000000"
HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"
g_crtgamut = "1.000000"
BP = "0.000000"

And that references a custom preset I made for Duimon-mega-bezel:

#reference ":/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets/Experimental/Newpixie-Clone_Smoothed_Rolling-Scanlines.slangp"
HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "2.000000"
HSM_BZL_NOISE = "10.000000"
HSM_FRM_SHADOW_OPACITY = "100.000000"
HSM_FRM_SHADOW_WIDTH = "50.000000"
HSM_FRM_OUTER_EDGE_SHADING = "40.000000"
HSM_LED_OPACITY = "100.000000"
HSM_NIGHT_OPACITY = "100.000000"
BackgroundImage = ":/shaders/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/SONY_Playstation/Playstation.png"
DecalImage = ":/shaders/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/SONY_Playstation/Playstation_Decal.png"
LEDImage = ":/shaders/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/SONY_Playstation/Playstation_LED.png"

You’ll need to have Duimon-mega-bezel downloaded for this to work .

3 Likes

Very cool! :slight_smile:

Another thing I think is nice is the downscale blur that guest put in, combined with the scalefx it adds just a nice edge of antialiasing-like softness to the edges

Standard Preset with no blur

Standard Preset with Downsample blur on both x and y

3 Likes

Yeah, basically you should make a simple preset where you add the lines to define the images you want.

A simple preset is where you have a #reference line at the top pointing to the preset to load. After this you have lines which set parameter values and set texture paths.

For an example of this take a look at the night preset in the variations folder, it sets a background image. To get the names of possible background images look in the base preset.

To get Retroarch to create a simple preset for you just load the base preset then make parameter changes you want then save with “Simple Presets” on. Then you can add your texture paths by hand.

I’m the future in going to try to add choosing textures within retroarch :slight_smile:

Here’s the documentation for presets including Simple Presets

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness I was wondering if you plan on adding an NTSC composite shader? I saw some parameters that mention composite but they don’t seem to have the effect that something like crt royale composite has. For example, removing dithering, like the waterfalls in sonic the hedgehog. I know there are other options to removing dithering in the parameters but they can cause artifacts sometimes.

1 Like

yeah I just wish there were a solution for white pixels. Basically anything that is white turns grey if it’s close to any other color. Maybe some kind of mask?

1 Like

Possibly, the composite that is in the current shader is from GTU which does some of the color smearing.

I did have ntsc adaptive set up to work with it (which is what the royale preset uses), but I haven’t used it in a while, I’m curious to see what Guest and Tatsua79 settle on as their happy place to see what I should add to the Mega Bezel.

3 Likes