Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Yes! Guess I didn’t see it the first time. Since Windows doesn’t have a separate release for RetroArch (Vulkan) I thought I didn’t think much of it. It actually fixes a problem I had with the way the window would fullscreen, but I’m having a crash when launching content even from a default config. Since the menu driver loads just fine, whatever’s going on could be fixable I think, but that’s a separate issue from running shaders. I’ll be back… again

2 Likes

Yeah D3D11 loads the Mega Bezel super slow compared to normal for some unknown reason.

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s due to lack of proper multithreading support on D3D11?

1.9.11 just came out today by the way.

Would these work with an Intel HD 3000? The problem turns to be, cores are being compiled for the latest version of macOS only. But if I update to that version I will lose all support for my dedicated GPU. Otherwise, I’ll have to hunt down old versions of the current cores.

1 Like

I just came across this thread:

I’m not sure. There’s an update coming up that’s supposed to provide a huge speed improvement but why would you lose support for your dedicated GPU if you update your OS? Why are things like these so complicated on the Apple platform?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s been a day. That said, by now, I have a greater understand of things and almost everything works. Why does it work like that? Because Apple are hellbent on doing it their own way or not at all. It can suck, but it has its charm, and if you’re using the platform you probably agree with their direction. The specific conundrum I have is that since I can’t afford Apple hardware, I run a Hackintosh. Now, Apple stopped approving Nvidia drivers after High Sierra in favor of AMD and more recently their own Apple GPU, so I either change my Nvidia card for a really expensive AMD GPU or I’m not getting any GPU support at all if I update from High Sierra. I’ve been holding off because of this, but it’s more and more limiting, so I’ll probably will have to during this year.

Regarding the thread you found, I just found an old backup of cores I had made, almost all compiled for High Sierra. This has fixed the issue on all but 2 cores. I’ll try to help the people on that thread with it, I know I was in their spot 1 hour ago. Still, it will be good to know if I can run these after I update macOS. Hopefully that improvement you mention comes along nicely for Intel HD acceleration.

1 Like

I see, so this pain is actually self inflicted. You know you can run Windows 10 off a USB Drive? So you can have windows with all your proper drivers and your RetroArch Setup whenever you want to be transported to the old school realm. You can also have a VM with your OS X Running if you don’t want to stray too far away from the ecosystem.

1 Like

I also have an old Hackintosh and am toying with the idea of quickly building a new one before the clock runs out on Intel compatibility.

You are correct that they have a special charm, but you obviously have the skills to build yourself a dedicated Windows box for this kind of thing.

Sometimes one computer just isn’t enough. :innocent:

I used to run 4 full-time computers off a dual HDMI KVM but when I became a homeowner I decided to slim it down a bit. I sometimes feel a bit penned in and wish I had my old setup.

Are you sure the Hackintosh community hasn’t addressed this with a kext etc.?

4 Likes

Yeah, I do this already precisely because of things like this. Well, games. Right now I’m on my yearly venture into “trying to move as much as I can to macOS as possible”. Hasn’t been too bad this time… one day, maybe I’ll just need the one OS.

I think it’s worth a try. Surprisingly, a lot of advances have been made now that it has reached the end of its lifetime. Everything is very well documented and friendly. For example, there’s work done all the time on a new bootloader called OpenCore that is meant to be a lot cleaner and faster than anything you saw in your time running your hackintosh.

Never heard of a KVM switch, interesting… and yes, sadly, there’s no way around the Nvidia issue. The problem with it is the driver needs to be signed by Apple for it to work, and they’ve had no interest for years. Last official word on the topic was ages ago from Nvidia saying they couldn’t do anything because Apple wouldn’t sign the driver for newer versions of the OS. All the community can do and has done is document which AMD GPU are compatible with 10.13+ hackintosh, document how to run Big Sur with only Intel HD, etc.

1 Like

Here’s is one on Newegg. It has some new tech compared to mine but the price tag is similar.

F1DN204MOD-HH-4

Here is a lesser expensive one by a company I’ve never heard of, if you don’t need USB 3.0.

9SIAR56EMN0557

3 Likes

Perhaps this will change now that Apple is using an ARM CPU. Nividia is ARM after all.

2 Likes

I just learned that combining my presets with the Blargg NTSC Composite Filter allows the Sega Genesis “Rainbow Effect” to be displayed in addition to the transparency and additional colours effects. So far I’ve tested it on my Composite and Composite - Sharp presets and it works great on both. Previously the Composite - Sharp preset wouldn’t do the dithering based transparency effects properly. Next step is to try the same combination with the global RetroArch Blargg NTSC Composite Filter.

4 Likes

As a side, I was one of those who tortured themselves for hours trying to get my Hackintosh up and running. The sleekness and smoothness of Leopard and Snow Leopard compared to Windows XP 64-bit, Windows Vista and Windows 7 back in the days was very refreshing. However, I immediately missed the richness, diversity and sense of freedom that I got with Windows. Somehow, the OS X user interface also seemed more “flat” and felt claustrophobic to me.

I realize that we might have a lot more in common than you might think @Duimon because I myself have my little home music studio and over the past few years made a decision to try to learn to play the keyboard as opposed to just picking at notes just well enough to put down a new track.

I did some testing of this and while this combination worked (as in was able to load and run) for some cores, it didn’t look as good as it did in those that had Blargg’s NTSC filters built-in. I noticed a significant darkening of image. In the ones with it built-in that it did work well in, for example, Genesis Plus GX and Nestopia, the experience was magical and beautiful! It actually added that last extra bit of flavour to my presets to take away a little bit of the edge in the text for example and the colour fringing on the white text was a sight for sore eyes! I never liked the shimmering backgrounds in certain games like Contra on NES and to some extent in Sonic The Hedgehog when using the Composite setting, so I used to use the S-Video setting back in the day, but I think this time around, I’ll give it a fair chance to see if I can get used to it because there are great benefits to be enjoyed as well!

Feel free to try them out. I put some links to some demo clips in my presets post.

3 Likes

I just want to say that given how small Hackintosh is, I find it amusing that all 3 of us here mentioned find ourselves anonymously crossing paths again tinkering gaming setups into infinity. Small world.

3 Likes

I dunno, maybe it’s because nerds of a feather flock together? Lol

2 Likes

I never actually played a game on mine. :grin:

I needed to be well versed in OSX for my graphics degree and I had better things to spend my money on than a Mac Pro. (And my G4 couldn’t run the, then brand new, Final Cut Pro.)

I still think DVD Studio is the best DVD authoring software on the planet. But I haven’t used the suite since college 13 years ago.

I really just like being well informed. If I build a new one I will definitely install RA on it. :wink: I could better serve the Mega Bezel community.

4 Likes

Enjoy some crystal clear JVC crt-gaming-ness! :grin:

As you can see, the frog keeps its eyes closed as it can barely stand Mega Bezel gorgeous visuals! :star_struck:

11 Likes

In GDV you can set the NTSC preset to “custom” to get all the benefits of composite (i.e., blended dithering) without the dot crawl and rainbows.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I’ll play around with it. In my case I was actually trying to reproduce some of the rainbows (for example in the pipes in Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic The Hedgehog 2) but not too excessively though. I love the slight colour fringing on the white text that the Built-in Blargg NTSC Composite setting adds to NES and Sega Genesis games.

Were you able to download any of my video clips to finally get to see what I see?

Update:

I looked around but I didn’t see this setting available in my HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader Preset parameters. I don’t know if I’ll see them if I manually edit the base GDV preset. Is this setting available @HyperspaceMadness?

Update 2:

In my quest to find this NTSC Custom setting, I saw @Nesguy 's presets in the Experimental Folder. I had seen them before but I decided to give them a try this time around.

I must say that I came away impressed and enlightened. I now understand the importance of proper scanline alignment. So, even though I’m still on my quest to find this elusive NTSC Custom setting, I most likely will have to put that on the back burner, do some studying, reverse engineering and possibly borrowing (lol) from some of @Nesguy 's presets in order to improve the detail, accuracy and subjective and objective quality of my presets.

Now that I’ve seen how properly aligned scanlines are supposed to look, I can’t unsee them so that might mean goodbye to “fake” scanlines and possibly even rolling scanlines as well in my presets as I learn more and move forward.

Where I come from, when you want to acknowledge that you’ve realized that someone really knows what they’re doing, you might say, “Yuh hadda gih jack he jacket”. So as far as @Nesguy is concerned, “Ah hadda gih jack he jacket”.

I tested all the non-Max-int-Scale presets and the ones that I liked and looked good on my TV were:

Nesguy__TVL-360,
Nesguy__TVL-540,
Nesguy__Aperture__Med-TVL__Mask-2__N6
and
Nesguy__Aperture__Low-TVL__Mask-7__Dbl-Phosphor-Width__N0

I still prefer my colour settings though, including the use of NTSC-U over NTSC-J, plus I found these presets to be a little too much on the cool side even after switching to NTSC-U. Also, I had to turn off that curvature.

I guess it’s back to the drawing board once again. Thanks always to all who made this possible!

4 Likes