Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Just checked the shader in Retroarch, integer scale is turned off.

Also, tried it on THPS2 using the beetle-psx core. There is nasty color banding when the video is scaled down to the size it has to be

Other than this, all the other systems I tried worked fine, some little adjustments, but good to go otherwise.

so you still have the problem with Snes9X and N64?

The moire color banding is due to the non linear scaling as well as the low resolution the screen ends up at after being scaled down, in your screenshot the image coming from the core should be about 480 pixels tall and the crt screen image after the shader is done with it is only 512 pixels tall.

At this resolution I would suggest trying the Easymode version which tends to handle different resolutions and non-integer scale well.

No problem at all with SNES9X, n64 is where I have the problem.

Tried the easymode version, the top reflection is barely visible on screen, and I don’t think the bottom reflection is there at all. Sides are fine.

If N64 is set to 720p output instead of 480p, my shader version displays upside down and squished vertically. I have next to no clue as to why this is happening.

Thanks, that should help me narrow down the problem. I can also double check the difference in the easy mode preset as the reflection should be the same as the main preset

I’ll have to install the N64 core as I never play it!

5 posts were split to a new topic: Mame-libretro status

Hello! I loved your shader, could you make a version with CBOD shader applied to get rid of dithering in certain systems?

This is an interesting idea, which shaders do you find do this best, including the kind used on genesis games (E. G. Jail bars)?

3 Likes

Personally I prefer gtu-v50.

1 Like

I prefer the cbod shader effect for dithering, I often use Lion King from genesis to test if the shader is good at dithering. I don’t understand how shaders work, but it would be nice if we can on/off this dithering mode in the parameters.

My english is a little bit rusty.

Hi the latest update to the Mega Bezel Reflection shader is up!

Latest Changes

• Automatic Bezel Generation
  • Reflection fade is now consistently across the whole range of the sides and bottom, it does not end prematurely like it used to
  • Reflections in the corners
  • There is now control of the sharpness of the reflection and the reflection can be sharp right next to the screen
  • Optional noise has been added to the reflection fade which helps it look more real and avoid an overly smooth look -guest-venom shader has been updated to the latest from release 1.8.2

Further work planned

• Add adjustable diffuse shading on the bezel (right now you can only change the highlight in the corner) -possible addition of optional de-dithering pass

There are a few presets in the package:

hsm-mega-bezel-reflection-crt-easymode-halation.slangp - Standard Preset with Easmode includes auto-generated bezel and automatically scaling overlay image

hsm-mega-bezel-reflection-crt-guest-dr-venom.slangp - Standard Preset includes auto-generated bezel and automatically scaling overlay image

hsm-mega-bezel-reflection-crt-guest-dr-venom-no-overlay.slangp - same as above but the overlay image pass removed - this can be used with standard retroarch overlays

hsm-mega-bezel-reflection-crt-guest-dr-venom-image-bezel.slangp - Has an image bezel instead of the autogenerated bezel, this would be what you would use if you wanted to do something like @lilbud did with the PVM preset he made. If you use this it would probably be best to set both image passes to have the image go fullscreen rather than scaling with the screen

hsm-mega-bezel-reflection-crt-guest-dr-venom-GBA.slangp - Same as default but with a different aspect ratio and overlay

Also included is a readme which explains a bit about how to integrate the mega screen scale, also the actual shaders which have it integrated in this package have all the modifications commented in the files so you can see what was changed.

Here are some screenshots

With @ArsInvictus’s Ghouls and Ghosts overlay!

10 Likes

Haven’t tested it yet, but the screens are looking great!

Cool to see the auto-bezel making it in, along with the reflection noise/static.

1 Like

Another great update. Love this shader!

4 Likes

This…is absolutely gorgeous! The noise feature was a great add, though I turned it down to .35 from the default of 60.

I think I will also be switching to venom. I love the automatic scanline direction capability. Overall this is the best shader I’ve used and I love how many options there are to change everything. At some point I’ll probably spend a weekend tweaking the hell out of this :slight_smile:

Thanks for your work on this!

Here it is with Metal Slug 3 in vertical mode:

And Truxton:

4 Likes

@HyperspaceMadness I’m pretty sure that copy of crt-guest-dr-venom is still technically out of date, unless you removed the linearize-scanlines.slang pass completely from it.

Not complaining in this slightest, I just wasn’t sure if you knew or if it was done this way for specific reasons.

Not that I find it to be an issue if it’s not completely up-to-date currently, as you are still adding things and getting feedback at this time (and you’re not trying to get feedback about guests shader, you’re trying to get feedback for the bezel-reflection.)

2 Likes

Thanks, good catch!

I updated the crt .slang pass but forgot to check the differences in the preset, so I’ll need to check the difference between the presets and make sure the passes are the same.

2 Likes

This is awesome seeing this integrated with your amazing overlay work!

Yeah, the vertical scanlines are cool, it’s a great feature that guest put in his shader.

5 Likes

The shader is updated

Changes:

• I updated the shader to fix the guest-venom preset to fix the missing shader in the chain.
  • I also did some house cleaning of under the hood stuff and fine tuned of a couple property values.
  • I adjusted the mega-screen-scale.inc so that it has a main on/off parameter and all calls to its functions will act as passthrough when it’s off. This should allow the functions to be integrated in other crt shaders and since the mega-screen-scale is off by default it should have no effect until it is turned on in a preset.
3 Likes

Thanks for all the updates. Though i think i prefer the older version (3rd release iirc). See the comparison:

OLD

NEW

First thing about the new version is that the screen is smaller and doesn’t fit even when i disable integer scale from the shader options (you can see the texture around the bezel taking space). The aspect ratio is also different, with the horizontal resolution being a bit more squished.

Secondly, the reflection area in the bezel is much larger/fatter (which further decreases the playable screen size) and i don’t think i could make it like before.

Lastly, the colors seem different, with the blue looking a bit more like purple.

@GemaH If you’re using the third release from the thread, then the color issue in the newest version is probably from hsm-color-adjustment.slang (small chance it’s from updates to crt-guest-dr-venom itself, but idk…), the other issues I can’t really comment on.

UPDATE: I believe the shader is currently on the 7th release.