Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

This is really cool. I noticed that when applying “night mode” there is a slim edge to the bottom and right parts of the image, as if that part of the screen does not apply the darkened image:

2 Likes

I’m guessing this is in the texture, we’ll fix it on the next update to the texture which should come soon.

2 Likes

Hey shenlong, your work is amazing but i cant get the new version of retroarch to work with these shaders. any chance of you uploading your version with these shaders installed??

1 Like

Is there a way to reduce the uneven scanline effect with the Crt-Royale Bezel Reflection preset without setting the Int Scale Mode to Short Axis (which makes the screen too tiny on my 1440p monitor) ?

1 Like

What is the core res you are working with? If you set the debug parameter on you will be able to see this. Can you post an image of what you’re seeing and an image of the same thing in Guest-Venom?

You can also play with the int scale min border height to adjust how much empty vertical space the shader reserves for the top & bottom if int scale is making the screen really small.

Other than this I’m not sure what can be done with the current shader.

I’m still thinking about options for improving moire. There is the EWA solution that hunterk used in EWA Curvature which adds a bit of blur. And there is also the moire mitigation stuff hunterk did in one of the shaders, but has a performance impact and you trade moire for some noise

1 Like

I think a bit of blur is a better poison than the noise.

1 Like

@nyckrazy, thanks for your kind works, however I’m not clear which shaders you are referring to. As you have posted in this thread I will assume you mean the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader - the great work on this shader has been done by @HyperspaceMadness, the pack utilises and combines other great shader work done by @guest.r, @EasyMode, @hunterk … other developers.

I currently have no versions of my own presets with this shader pack as I struggle to get full speed with this combo.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I think I’ll just switch to HSM_Bezel_Reflection_dr_venom. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For SNES PAL games, due to different resolution / aspect ratio from NTSC, the game image does not fill the whole frame horizontally. I solved it by setting both “[CROPPING] Crop Overscan Left” and “[CROPPING] Crop Overscan Right” to 7.00.

3 Likes

The Mega Bezel shader is updated to V 2020-06-06

Changes:

• New Night Guest-DrVenom Preset with awesome graphics from @Duimon. Technically this is the same as the Guest-DrVenom preset but with different graphics and the top-image dialed up for the night effect
  • New N64 Guest-DrVenom Preset - uses a new Vertical Flip parameter, also uses scalefx to upscale and clean up the image for a nice 640x480 look with edge smoothing
  • Vector game Presets, now horizontal and vertical, they work well with FBNeo and its highres mode
  • Automatic Aspect ratio can switch dynamically to a guess of the proper aspect ratio for the core
    • Aspect Ratio Modes parameter added, including auto, explicit and some other predefined aspects
    • Has a catch for Stella (Atari 2600) so it has a horizontal aspect even though it has more pixels vertically than horizontally in the image coming from the core
    • Core resolutions with Y < 500 fall back to the Explicit Aspect Ratio
  • Improvement to screen scaling in Portrait Mode, since we want the screen to stay in the viewport and be approximately the same diagonal size when switching between aspect ratios
  • Vertical Flip Parameter to flip cores like MUPEN which use the viewport Y value upside down as requested by @duimon and noted by a number of others
  • Royale now has all the ScreenFx stuff like screen vignette, edge sharpness, corner radius
  • Presets will need to be updated
  • ALL parameter names have been updated
    • Rename Guest-Venom, Guest-SM Param Names
    • I know this one is painful, I’m sorry for the collateral damage but this is to help future proof and make the names consistent
    • The majority of parameter names won’t change from this point on
  • EDIT:
  • Set Guest-Venom and Guest-SM to use a constant sized pass of 320x320 for blur so you get a consistent amount of blur regardless of the core resolution

Still to Come:

• Brightness balancing the presets so they are consistent, some are currently brighter than others
  • 3D Bezel
  • Geom-Deluxe Version
  • Pixie Version
  • Experiments in Moire reduction
  • Other stuff I forgot

Automatic Aspect Ratio in Landscape

Automatic Aspect Ratio in Portrait

Aspect Ratio Params

Nintendo 64 Preset with Scalefx

Vector Preset

FBNeo Core Options to use: FBNeo_Options_Highres_Mode

Guest Venom Parameters

Guest SM Parameters

Easymode Parameters

Royale Parameters

10 Likes

Just…Wow! I can’t wait till I have the time to play around with this update!

(Apparently you’ve been busy. :grin:)

3 Likes

I can’t wait to try the new update. I saw you wanted to add the newpixie shader. I’d rather have the options of the monitor accumulation and moving scanlines atop the other shaders vs having newpixie as is. I’m guessing that is much more difficult and potentially not possible.

4 Likes

I’ll check out the newpixie shader. I’ll have to see if the effect is integral to the shader, as I’m guessing it might be, or if it is something which could be applied across shaders.

3 Likes

The rolling scanlines is my favorite part of newpixie-crt imho.

3 Likes

The auto aspect ratio is such a nice feature. Didn’t realize I needed it until now.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought it was an interesting idea, then the more I tried it out the more I liked it! :smile:

Let me know if you find any cores that don’t use the right aspect ratio.

The added scanlines don’t like bright colors. Here is the new the version vs the previous one.

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for pointing this out. To clarify I think you are saying that the scanlines are disappearing over the bright areas?

I did make a change on the fake scanlines that fades out the scanline effect when it’s bright, like in a bright sky, but I think it’s falling down here. I think I’ll put in a parameter to control this to adjust how much the scanlines fade out on bright areas.

EDIT: Could you post a core res image of this example with GPU Screenshot OFF? This will help me test :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure, here you go.

3 Likes

The Mega Bezel Shader is updated to V 2020-06-07

Changes:

• Fixed Fake scanlines so scanlines would appear properly on light colors, added a light color cutoff parameter so this can be adjusted
  • Fixed up the core sampling res mult & interlace trigger so they work together properly

Here’s some screenshots

Vagrant Story at 4X internal res with fake scanlines

Vagrant Story at 4X internal res with adjusted sampling res vertically to get real 240p scanlines

Here’s what the core res sampling setting looks like for this result

I added in debug info about the sampling res in the debug text

Core Res Sampling changed on Y axis

7 Likes