I made a 4K GBA overlay for retroarch

You are already an artist my friend.

(Although a year from now you will certainly look back and chuckle at yourself a bit, since you will have learned much.)

But you are definitely an artist!

3 Likes

last couple on the theme - a vertical and horizontal arcade pair.

viewport is 840,270 - 2160x1620 viewport is 1110,0 - 2160x1620

2 Likes

Starting the console overlays with genesis:

Starting a separate zip file, since these will be beefier with all the box art.

6 Likes

NES version:

5 Likes

SNES version:

4 Likes

psx:

3 Likes

N64:

2 Likes

i really like that i se some game case in the left and right how you find them it it is really amazing thanks

2 Likes

I did some minor tweaking to the layout and updated the zip file:

6 Likes

http://www.thecoverproject.net/ incredible resource

4 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

Ahhh, Saturn and TG-16, two of my favorite systems. These are all looking really excellent @mezzb!

2 Likes

Hopefully last batch - here is my personal set, upon which I overlay button mappings. I think for the most part these are retroarch defaults. Here’s the zip.

5 Likes

4 Likes

These are all brilliant, really great work

Would you mind if I used them as a base for overlays on my Twitch stream when I’m playing retro games? Will attribute them as your work of course!

1 Like

absolutely - no need to attribute.

Here’s a plain TV that might be easier to work with?

Happy to build something custom if you like - I’m finding it soothing to work on this stuff, like people tell me knitting is :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I really like your overlays, great work mezzb and thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

I never actually use overlays myself when playing games as I usually find them too distracting, but with the clean and flat shaded artstyle of your overlay it works much better in my eyes, so I’m definitely going to use them in the future.

2 Likes

that’s kind of my thinking - that’s why I also make them fairly dark so the games pop in compared to the overlay. I originally started making overlays because in my two setups (a 43" arcade cabinet and a 77" TV) the low-res games just looked like a blocky mess when maximized so I wanted smaller screens, which created a lot of dead space.

1 Like

minor updates to the original overlays (for handheld and arcade).

Added busier arcade overlays - it just looked weird with one arcade machine there. so i gave it a couple of buddies.

I think my next move is to have mild “pizza place” theming, cuz i dunno about yall fellow geezers, but that’s where most of my earliest coin-op memories came from.

2 Likes