Interlaced filter for a 640 x 480 monitor

Off the top of my head, I would have to say that it would most likely be 480i, at least that’s what a standard definition CRT TV would display it as. 480p only started appearing on TVs in the Enhanced Definition era.

Did you try Custom Resolution Utility in Windows?

In the example I shared with you, the user used an Intel HD 530 in Windows 10 and was successful.

It appears as if they used a utility called Modeline Editor by Jeroni Paul version 1.10.

1 Like

Nice that will be useful thanks

indeed cru didn’t worked, well 3840 x 240p 120hz and 3840 x 224p did worked indeed, but 3840 x 480 didn’t as it was too much clock for the adapter, and original 320 x 240 didn’t because windows decided to bug “to be honest also didn’t with linux but yep” 15khz doesn’t worked in both linux and windows, but interlaced work in linux, 3840 x 480i and has a 120hz refresh rate, also 1920 doesn’t work with my monitor as aspect ratio became to small

i’ll try it to see what it does

1 Like

I’ve never tried these things out but 2 things I know are that 3840 x 240p requires the same bandwidth as 3840 x 480i. Not sure if (or how) that translates to pixel clock as well. Also, why do you have to use 3840 x 480i? If you want to get 480i can’t you just use 640 x 480i at 60Hz?

i was talking about 480p 120hz, it has to be 120hz to align with vsync intervals

native switchres option could get pretty buggy if you don’t start up to delete your normal resolutions back and fort, and i don’t wanna do that as i wanna keep my normal resolutions for looking at content with my crt

ok i can confirm indeed interlaced resolutions doesn’t get registered by windows in my setup i’ll be back to linux

I have noticed something, vsync swap interval has auto to change the swap based on internal reported frame rate, which this makes 3840 x 480 60 switchres possible without doing mumbo jumbo with 15khz and interlaced, but if you want 480i or/and setting a lot of custom resolutions as 224, 218, 472 and 478 you have to use linux @Cyber but as i had read already there is not too much of a problem with image in a jump of 480 to 472 or 478, but indeed 224 and 240 are different in stretching

1 Like

I got so desperate of linux that i say you know, windows is not that bad i can accept 480 without scanlines it will be for some menus and loading screen and maybe a weird fmv before game and maybe some games will require interlaced effect but they most be quite reduced, LINUX IS HORRIBLE IS FILL WITH FREAKING THINGS OF GOING FORWARD WHILE DROPPING THE OLD FUNCTIONAL STUFF

It depends on the system you emulate, if we talk about 32 bits down, 90% of the games are of low resolutions, even the arcade ones.

What problem can you have with the scanline? In linux, when you activate the CRT SwitchRes all the changes are done automatically, in any system, from Genesis to the most abstract Arcade. You don’t need to do anything, nor configure any resolution.

Not so much. :rofl:

2 Likes

i wanna emulate the 480i changes from psx, but i don’t know if interlaced or in this case tvout+interlaced will help me with that without altering somehow the image in 240p or in this case 224 outside of the ntsc effect, and this will be for windows this isn’t a problem on linux but things as saving custom res for xrandr doesn’t work

iit is, doesn’t work good in my computer, too many problems to deal with and no deterministic solution that doesn’t make me feel that the many things i tried aren’t for nothing also x11 is disappearing from support scene soon and many things aren’t working in modern days any longer, as xsetup scripts for saving custom res, and wayland isn’t any better, xrandr doesn’t work with wayland and also it doesn’t have multiple custom res support

Emulate? if I understand correctly, I think you have a big confusion.

Interlaced resolutions are characteristic of some games, and there are very few games on PS1 that have 480i.
It is normal for games to constantly change resolution, at least since the 16-bit generation, they use high ones for titles and text and low ones for the game itself.

When you activate “CRT SwitchRes” RetroArch sends to the CRT the resolution that the game requests. Here you don’t have to configure anything, (forget about xrandr) not even change the monitor resolution. it does it all by magic. If you use a Monitor, a shader like ‘tvout-tweaks’ can be used to make corrections.

If you want EMULAT 480i. You have two options. Use an interlaced shader. Here the resolution of the monitor or the operating system does not matter, neither if it is a CRT or a Led. It is an emulation.

The other option is to use Linux and set the 480i resolution with ‘xrandr’. Here you have to use the native output given by the Core, you can’t use “CRT SwitchRes” or a shader with scanlines, because it’s one or the other, not both together.

Here there is also a confusion, Xorg is not going to disappear soon, nor in the medium term. Wayland still needs a lot of work and above all, support from the big companies. Wayland can be used for office or web browsing, but for demanding applications you need Xorg.

xrandr is an advanced feature, if you are new to Linux, you have to be careful because you can even burn the monitor. Possibly the scripts will not work, anyway there are many guides on the internet and here in the forum there has been a lot of discussion about it.

I was able to achieve saving my custom res in Linux, it was fedora’s fault, I choose manjaro instead and xsetup worked as a charm, my interlaced res are 3840 x 480 x 472 and 478, now I gotta know how vsync swap interval will work with that in mind, I’ll test retroarch tomorrow

I suffered a lot setting up xrandr and when the new CRT SwitchRes came out, I thought I had exterminated it from my PC, but, I still have it.

Here’s how to set up xrandr if you still want to try 480i, but be aware that you can’t use scanlines and it may not be optimal for 240p gaming.

$ xrandr --verbose
You will get a list, pay attention to what they say Captura de pantalla de 2023-05-22 03-09-47

Continue with this command
$ xrandr --listactivemonitors
and you will get something like this (your CRT obviously) Captura de pantalla de 2023-05-22 03-18-05

Now create the modline with the frequency you saw in the first one.
$ cvt 640 480 37.50
Captura de pantalla de 2023-05-22 03-20-53 And copy what is highlighted.

You create the new mode
$ xrandr --newmode "640x480_37.50" 14.75 640 664 720 800 480 483 487 494 -hsync +vsync

Add the new mode to the monitor.
$ xrandr --addmode VGA-0 "640x480_37.50"

And with this command you can activate the resolution.
$ xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 640x480_37.50

You can create the normal monitor resolution and configure Linux keyboard shortcuts to easily switch between resolutions.

xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 640x480_37.50
xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1600x1200_75.00

Captura de pantalla de 2023-05-22 03-36-46 And, I want nothing more to do with xdrandr in my life.

I was just going to ask you, you are new to Linux and you went for an Arch… :rofl:

Use Ubuntu, like all normal humans.

Not that new, I hate snapd sorry and nobara was working great till it didn’t, fedora devs were too much fixated to new stuff they miss calibrated some xrandr stuff, now I gotta know if udev rules can be applied as the same in both fedora an manjaro, maybe not but who knows? I’ll search in aur of there is a package for my controller but that could be risky

I’ve been using Ubuntu for almost 20 yrs now. I used to do the distro-hopping thing to see what all the cool-kids’ buzz was about, and I’ve never tried a rolling release distro that didn’t shake itself apart within ~3 months lol.

2 Likes

I started the same way, trying everything but it ends up getting boring. It’s like playing the same game on different consoles.
On the other hand, I have never tried rolling, the closest was debian with apt-pinning and one day it crashed, when I asked for help in the forum I felt like the most useless and despicable being of humanity. It’s just that they are as nice as mame. And since then, only LTS is stable.

2 Likes

Ok, you were right, apparently switchres on linux creates new resolutions to fit game needs, i’ll just have to use superes as my adapter doesn’t like 15khz, i choose linux mint instead

1 Like

Fedora » Manjaro » Mint » … … … Ubuntu
“This is the Way”

I am not sure, but I think 15 KHz is for TV and for Monitors at 31 KHz, although, there are TV and Monitors that support both, they are exceptions.

Mine actually, but not the adapter, well aside of that, i would like to know if maybe there could be a way to actually make retroarch think some res are 120hz when they aren’t and use vsync swap interval 2 for that specific resolution