Interlaced filter for a 640 x 480 monitor

Hello i would really like to know if there is a way i could setup an interlaced filter for my compaq 7500, i know it’s capable of 240p but crappy intel drivers in my test computer with native vga entry won’t let me choose 320 x 240 and only is letting me add as resolutions 3840 x 240 or something like that, and that is why doesn’t work with my screen as it makes my screen go pretty bad with image, i heard this method only works with vga adaptors and that’s why doesn’t work but i could be wrong i heard from a post @Nesguy that setting up an interlaced filter for the monitor could be the solution if nothing of this works i think the only solution will be switching to linux in my test bench

2 Likes

Yes, in the shaders, under ‘misc’, there is the interlacing shader. There are a bunch of presets for it in the ‘presets’ directory that add the ‘tvout-tweaks’ shader, which lets you modify things like color range (to go from full RGB range down to the smaller range used for TVs) and horizontal sharpness to allow things like faux transparency (e.g., the waterfalls in Sonic the Hedgehog).

However, 3840x240 should work fine, too, if you’re able to select that. RetroArch works with ultra-wide resolutions, you just need to go to settings > video > scaling, set the aspect to ‘fill’ and you’re off to the races.

3 Likes

i’ll try it out then, thanks

2 Likes

it worked IN GAME thanks, now i would really like to know if there is a way to fix retroarch’s menu as it looks a bit too messed up

1 Like

Which menu driver are you using? The RGUI menu scales gracefully down to 240p.

2 Likes

nice i had seen it already somewhere else, thank by the way

2 Likes

i would really like to know what could be done if i wanna simulate things as signals on games?

1 Like

These should do a splendid job as well as the ones that are included in various emulator cores.

Some of these are already included in RetroArch in the Video Filters Folder.

This is how you load them:

Please post some pics of them in action after you’re gotten everything setup.

2 Likes

Nice I’ll check them out

2 Likes

It’s working pretty good a think I most say about, the blue tone in the picture, Is a lie the colors over the screen and brightness mostly looks like a normal tv, Res is 3840 x 224 with fill screen, the shadow mask looks so tiny because of that, gotta tell ya it looks mostly like a pvm and if i had an adapter to connect to my normal computer with amd i could surely replicate a consumer grade 240 or 224 shadow mask look

2 Likes

The mask doesn’t change, it doesn’t matter if you use 320x240 or 3840x240.

You can regulate scanlines if you use different vertical resolutions though. You should see a difference already between 240p and 288p.

1 Like

Oh wow! These look lovey! Did you do everything just from RetroArch and the VGA output of your computer?

No need to setup custom resolutions in Windows?

This is inspiring me to pull out my old AOC CRT Monitor that I have lying around for years! Feel free to take some more photographs, I’m really loving the eye candy.

Now, these shots are good but if you could have gotten some sort of image stabilization going on and manual or pro settings, using manual focus, white balance and ISO also, 1/60 or 1/30 Shutter Speed we might be able to see even more magic!

1 Like

It was done with custom resolution via intel graphics, adding 320x240 didn’t worked because of a bug, with amd an nvidia I heard it does via cru, but yep, mine required to set rgui as interface in retroarch and fill aspect ratio, maybe crt switches could also help with changing resolutions in things like psx games? In intel with my monitor didn’t worked for me but who knows, I heard linux can indeed add 320x240 without problems too

1 Like

Don’t give up though, I’m sure there’s a lot of information out there regarding setting things like this up successfully. Just keep asking the right questions.

I’ll soon buy a vga adapter to connect to my amd graphics card and then maybe I’ll be able to add more resolutions and modes maybe, it depens of how adding resolution modes work, maybe it works with Linux, there is a lot of things I wanna try to see if eventually I’ll get the experience I want

1 Like

switchres is working @Cyber

2 Likes

Exactly, similar to a pvm but it is much sharper, without mask and thick lines. I’ll give you a couple of tricks:

You can reduce the scan lines (or they would disappear) and smooth the image from the Monitor menu itself, with an option called “Maure” (or something similar).

Or, you can use the shader that hunterk indicated, tvout (without scanlines obviously) to adjust many parameters of the image and make it look more like a CRT TV.

In addition to the tvout preset, you can add a pass and select a mask shader to emulate a slot mask for a more natural effect, with the thin lines and the slot mask it looks… awesome!

3 Likes

Guys i had already bought a vga to hdmi adapter and i’m just waiting for it to arrive, once it does i’ll plugged it in and i’ll check what i can do with my gpu about resolutions

2 Likes
1 Like

Uf i wish i had an amd compatible emudriver gpu, but unfortunately i don’t, instead what i managed to do was using linux instead, for some reason minimum res on windows only scales to 1024 x 768 and interlaced resolutions won’t work, but with linux i can set interlaced res obviously with 3840 as superes, and it has to be with 120 hz as 15 khz won’t work with the adapter i don’t know how vsync behaves with 2 interval with interlaced i gotta say that what i would like to know about is if the ps1 uses 480i in parts where it uses 480 as bios bootscreen and some loading screen as with ape escape, or if it uses 480p

1 Like