Keyboard keymap not automatically loaded on core start

I want to use the RetroArch Vice cores with a German keyboard layout and copied the needed sdl_pos.vkm and sdl_sym.vkm to the system/vice/C64 folder and set the option “keyboard keymap” in the input settings of the core settings to “Positional (user-defined)”. If I just do so, it works - simple test: y and z must be mixed in a DE layout.

However, when I quit RetroArch and then restart RetroArch, I get the international layout again. To fix this, I have to go into the core settings, set the input settings to a value different of “Position (user-defined)” and then set it back again, which means in my opinion that keyboard keymaps are not (correctly) loaded upon the start of this core.

Or did I miss any option? Thanks in advance for any hints!

Clearly it is a bug in the core, which I shall be looking at shortly.

You are lucky that I managed to notice this without the title having a mention of VICE or C64 :F

Okeydokey, fix pushed, so stay tuned for the buildbot core update.

1 Like

Thanks a lot sonninnos for picking and even fixing this issue without having had the important keyword in the title. Famous mistake that I am aware of - but really forgot in this case.

In fact, the problem also exists with the PUAE core, but unfortunately, there is apparently no keymap file, but I need to check this out more closely how to fix this manually first before I start a new thread.

Like said before: Thanks a lot for your efforts!

The way to achieve the same in PUAE is similar like with Dosbox, as in using the operating system keymap option. Obviously it only works in Workbench, but that is how it is with the hardware.