Kronos - Super High Requirements?

I was very excited to see such a large update to the Kronos core this morning. Even MORE exciting is that I see it now supports chd images. This previously kept me from playing with the core at all as I just don’t have the space for bin/cue or the patience for zip lol

Anyway, I’ve been toggling through settings all afternoon and for the life of me I can’t get a shred of decent performance out of it, whereas with Mednafen I get fullspeed. Now I’m not expecting things to ‘just work’. I know this is a different core from beetle as well, so it’s not a 1:1 comparison.

I am surprised though that I can’t get playable speeds out of it. My PC isn’t top of the line, but it’s no potato:

• Intel i7-4790k @ 4.0Ghz
  • AMD RX 590 8GB
  • 16GB DDR3

As far as I know my build supports the latest OpenGL, but I tried nearly every combination of settings (including default, tried that first) that I could in Core Options. I’m running at native internal resolution, no shaders, glcore video…

Am I doing something wrong, or are the requirements for this core actually higher than my system can handle?

Your specs shouldn’t be the issue here, i can run most games at 720/1080p with opengl cs on my main computer which is slower than yours (i7-2600k @ 3.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX960, 8GB RAM), i can even play the core with default settings and frameskip set to 1 on a toaster i bought a few years back (Pentium N3710 with an intel HD405 GPU).

Maybe try with a fresh retroarch setup to rule out a setting issue ? Also, what’s the game(s) you were trying to play ?

1 Like

Well, that narrowed it down quick. I did a fresh install, and it immediately ran great. Slowly turned on my typical settings one by one to see what the culprit was.

Turns out it was Rewind. I can toggle rewind on/off and watch it go from fullspeed to like 1-2 fps - and back again.

I can certainly do a core-override to turn rewind off, but obviously would ‘prefer’ not to. Is rewind just incompatible with Kronos, or should I keep digging?

While savestates mostly work, they’ll need a major leveraging before being usable with rewind or readahead. That’s not a priority right now so i recommend turning those features off.

1 Like

Ah, yeah I noticed I had to load my savestate for Sonic R a few times in a row before the music decided it wanted to work for me, while I was testing all this.

I totally get the extra bells and whistles being backburner stuff, no worries. I appreciate you responding and helping me track that down. I’m really excited to play around in this now, and excited about some of the features this core has over beetle, like internal res, perspective correction, and the visual accuracy like mentioned on the latest post.

Thank you for all the work your doing with everything. Words can’t express how much all this software means to me. <3

1 Like