[SOLVED] Lakka PC image is just a bit too big

Hi, all,

I’ve been using Lakka on a Banana Pi M1 for a while, and I would like to try it out on a few old PCs (laptops/desktops) I have lying around. I found a 512MB CompactFlash card I’d like to boot from, but since the Lakka image contains a 512MB main partition and a 32MB root partition, it is just a tiny bit too big. I checked the free space on the main partition, and it looks like there’s plenty of space to shave off the extra 32MB and make the whole thing fit on a 512MB device. Would it be possible to either A) get someone to make me a custom image, or B) get the official distribution resized to fit on such devices (at least until upgrades make a larger minimum size necessary)? I’m also open to suggestions of how I could do it myself. I’ve already tried writing it to a larger device and using Gparted (under Puppy Linux), but it gave me a warning about moving the root partition probably making the device unbootable. Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 Like

Hello, you ca use any tool like gparted to resize the partitions. The second partition should take all the available space on the disk.

I should just ignore the warning it gives me about the root partition, then?

What warning do you see ?

Yes, you can ignore it. Just check if the UUID of the partition changed and update your syslinux.cfg if needed.

I tried it, and the “might take a very long time” was quite the understatement… I ran out of time and had to abort before it was done. I was using a slow, magnetic HDD on a USB connection, so I’m going to try it with the image file directly, mounted as a virtual drive, which should be a lot faster. I’ll update this thread if I get it working. Thanks!

I tried it and it successfully booted my machine!

I didn’t make a note of the exact wording, but it looked like it automatically resized one of my partitions (/dev/sdb?) and then rebooted.

Thanks, Kivutar!

I haven’t modified anything, yet, so if anyone else wants a working x86 image that fits on a 0.5GB (512MB) device, that is otherwise stock, let me know (although it’ll probably be out-of-date before you read this :wink:).