MAME 2010 (0.139) or 2014 (0.159) for Vita Possible?

Was wondering if it would be possible to see if these MAME Cores work on the Vita? Would have more Roms available under them.

1 Like

Well since the Vita struggles to run MAME 2003 without getting choppy I would highly doubt it. The Vita just isn’t fast enough.

True, but a few more Games would be able to be run with the later Builds then they were on the 2000/2003 Builds. More CPS1 Games and Compatibility along with CPS2, and a few others that are not in the FBA Cores. Not to mention, Cheats can be used where FBA Cheats can not for some reason

Yeah but while you may be able to run a few more ROMs they would be so slow as to be unplayable anyway (especially FBA, CPS1, CPS2 which are pretty demanding, as of now the sound is messed up pretty bad on those).

It would be more useful if the time was spent debugging the current cores. As it stands you can’t save remapped controls so games like Missile command, Robotron etc are unplayable due to the buttons being scrambled.

You can’t play vertical games rotated for bigger screen because the D-pad directions don’t match up. You can remap them as you play but can’t be saved. I don’t know about you but having to map the controls properly every time you play the game is unpractical.

If you load a ROM in MAME 2000 then load a different one it just plays the previous one. You need to exit RA then reload to play a different ROM.

You can’t get to the MAME menu because it is mapped to a button the Vita doesn’t even have.

There are so many usability issues right now that those need work sooner than a current MAME in my opinion.

there is no workaround for a hardware limitation, that is why older mame is kept for such systems. mainstream mame is moving forward and even dropped support for 32bit systems.

I absolutele agree with you, I miss the TAB button for the menu!

maybe someone can try to build mame2009 for the vita , i don"t have such hardware so i can’t try . I mainly port it to libretro for wiiU (as it the last C version of mame).

1 Like

Yeah, not sure how different the Vita is from a GPD XD, but MAME 2010 works perfectly. Has it even been at least Tested at all?

I tried to compile mame2009 for ps3 and vita, but it get errors while compiling.

For ps3 this one

For vita this other one

Anyway I used an old version of vitasdk, so i’ll try to compile it again once i updated the toolchain on my end.

I have only renamed makefile (there’re two makefiles) and i added a vita target to compile for vita platform. If you like it, i can do a pr your repo. https://github.com/Ezio-PS/mame2009-libretro

PS: I can finally thank you to fix ngp core, the fix you did for WiiU worked very good for ps3 too, since WiiU and ps3 are both big endian machines, so i guess everything you fix for Wiiu target can be used/or easily ported to ps3 platform to benefit your work on more platforms. :slight_smile:

Hi,

For Ps3 , maybe you have to force PTR64=1 in the ps3 section of makefile (after BIGENDIAN=1). and you should also add -DOLEFIX (as i took this from ps3 OLE mame build) and maybe configure other flags like here.

# Nintendo Wii U

else ifeq ($(platform), wiiu)

TARGETLIB := $(TARGET_NAME)_libretro_wiiu.a

CC = $(DEVKITPPC)/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc$(EXE_EXT)

CXX = $(DEVKITPPC)/bin/powerpc-eabi-g++$(EXE_EXT)

AR = $(DEVKITPPC)/bin/powerpc-eabi-ar$(EXE_EXT)

COMMONFLAGS += -DGEKKO -mwup -mcpu=750 -meabi -mhard-float -D__POWERPC__ -D__ppc__ -DWORDS_BIGENDIAN=1 -malign-natural 

COMMONFLAGS += -U__INT32_TYPE__ -U __UINT32_TYPE__ -D__INT32_TYPE__=int -fsingle-precision-constant -mno-bit-align

COMMONFLAGS += -DHAVE_STRTOUL -DBIGENDIAN=1 -DWIIU -DOLEFIX

DEFS       += -DMSB_FIRST

PLATCFLAGS += -DMSB_FIRST

BIGENDIAN=1

STATIC_LINKING = 1

FORCE_DRC_C_BACKEND = 1

PLATCFLAGS += -DSDLMAME_NO64BITIO $(COMMONFLAGS) -falign-functions=16

PTR64 = 0

REALCC   = $(DEVKITPPC)/bin/powerpc-eabi-gcc$(EXE_EXT)

NATIVECC = g++

NATIVECFLAGS = -std=gnu99

CCOMFLAGS += $(PLATCFLAGS)

also you should include Makefilewiiu.common instead of Makefile.common , for the static build . and change some code like ifeq ($(platform), wiiu) to include ps3 case.

For vita not sure what is the problem.

Is there any way someone could make it so that MAME 2000 has the ability to bring up the in game MAME setting menu? It just seems there is no button to trigger it. MAME 2003 does do it but that core has many audio issues due to the needed extra CPU power. That sounds like a pretty easy fix isn’t it? It is a simple thing but causes huge trouble by not being able to remap controls.

1 Like

I just created an Issue for this on github: https://github.com/libretro/mame2000-libretro/issues/48

I would suggest using the Subscribe feature on that page to keep up to date with any developments.

Yeah, what davec1964 says! We need the in menu button.

They closed you request and said that

Will fix it lol. but we dont have a tab button. They dont get it, right?

it seem it’s you that don’t get it, right ? as far i know TAB is working, and it was the object of the issue. that said TAB and R2 input are mapped for menu.

I don’t get it either. How do you access the MAME menu on MAME 2000? I haven’t been able to do it.

Should be the Back Touchscreen on the left to pull up the MAME Menu

Nope, doesn’t work on MAME 2000.

Should be Rear Touchpad, Top Right (Top Left if looking at the Rear Touchpad). Works with 2003. Would just love to actually test how 2010 or 2014 runs. Hopefully it can be figured out at some point.

As I said it doesn’t work on MAME 2000. I have done it on 2003 and it works there. 2003 is choppy in some games that 2000 isn’t so that is why I still use it. Seeing how 2003 runson the Vita, 2014 would be a slideshow.