Mame 2010 & 2014 cores

I’m aware of the frameskip option, but it has its own drawbacks. At least NeoGeo, CPS2, and Taito F2 run full speed in MAME 2010 without frameskip.

Some games are poorly optimized. New Zealand Story is choppy with frameskip on, but is fine with speed hack and frameskip off. It also works full speed in FBA without speed hack. Not sure why NZS acts odd in MAME 2010 since other games on the same hardware play at full speed without speed hacks.

Edit: I’m mostly talking about the standalone core since I only used it a little bit with Retroarch.

[QUOTE=Brianvgplayer;38455]I’m aware of the frameskip option, but it has its own drawbacks. At least NeoGeo, CPS2, and Taito F2 run full speed in MAME 2010 without frameskip. Some games are poorly optimized. New Zealand Story is choppy with frameskip on, but is fine with speed hack and frameskip off. It also works full speed in FBA without speed hack. Not sure why NZS acts odd in MAME 2010 since other games on the same hardware play at full speed without speed hacks.Edit: I’m mostly talking about the standalone core since I only used it a little bit with Retroarch.[/QUOTE]Yeah I was talking about the retroarch MAME 2010 core you found, I can run games like Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa and Ninja Baseball Batman at good speeds with it and you can use frameskip too in that retroarch core. BTW what settings do you use in mame4droid? What do you think are the best settings?

I’m not sure what the best settings are, but I usually turn vsync off and use threaded video. The odd thing is that the alternate open gl path doesn’t seen to harm anything in mame4droid when it just slows things down when I use it in retroarch.

Edit: I also noticed that some games in Mame4droid like Outrun and Xybots don’t have all buttons set by default. I had to manually set them by bringing up the MAME options menu (coin+start).

Have you tried using MAME 2014? it used to work in older retroarch versions, but is no longer available in the online updater, maybe it works like MAME 2010? If you find the core could you share it too? Maybe it has better performance than 2010.

I got outrun to work fine in FBA (that game kicks my ass). Still haven’t found a way to run Cruisin World or Cruisin USA by Midway.

Outrun runs great in FBA, but some other scaling Sega games (mostly ones with analog controls) have glitchy controls (and this isn’t limited to Android). Power Drift controls ok, but has some distracting graphical glitches on FBA (all versions).

Using older Mame cores in Retroarch, Outrunners by Sega used to run in full 60 fps on my Shield Portable. Using the latest version, the orunners.zip rom crashes all Mame cores apart from Mame Git, and in Mame Git it doesn’t run full speed. Mame4droid runs it but very slowly.

I wonder if something changed to the other “non-git” Mame cores that makes this rom crash. Other roms work fine in those cores. It would be nice to get full-speed Outrunners back, it is a fun game with great gfx. And it was amazing that I could run it full speed on a Shield Portable.

[QUOTE=guicrith;38448]Taito F3 being too slow is why I wanted to get a different version of mame.(Space Invaders 95 Attack of the lunar loonies)

I have made progress.(Its not done but it(mame2014) is compiling while I wrote this)

F3 can be fixed though it would be alot of work.(Replacing for loops,ifs and ors(if less than 8bpp) in the sprite rendering routine with transparent bitmaps and GPU rendering)

Currently it is most likely using if(!spritepixeltransparent)framebufferpixel[spritex + spritey * screenwidth] = spritepixel;[/QUOTE]

Hi man how is the progress going on MAME 2014 for android? It still does not appear in the online updater and the older working MAME 2014 does not appear on the buildbot. Does anyone knows where I can download the MAME 2014 for android?

I am working on mame2014(no 2010 yet),and it is compiling. The only issues now are the dependency’s(and maybe linking after that) a few of which I have already fixed.

Working libs:Mame Core,libjpeg,softfloat,expat,zlib Broken:sqlite3,lsqlite3

Dont know for all others.

mame2014 fully compiled and linked for armv7 but retroarch doesn’t recognize it when put in the cores folder and just lists the library name.(mame2014_libretro.so)

Could you share your compiled core to test on other devices?

Here is the core.(It doesn’t even recognize it for me.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HuG10h5HbnREJNT29YeGZhWkk/view?usp=sharing

[QUOTE=guicrith;39299]Here is the core.(It doesn’t even recognize it for me.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HuG10h5HbnREJNT29YeGZhWkk/view?usp=sharing[/QUOTE]

Tested it, same issue on android 4.2.2 and 4.4 on retroarch 1.3.4

[QUOTE=guicrith;39299]Here is the core.(It doesn’t even recognize it for me.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HuG10h5HbnREJNT29YeGZhWkk/view?usp=sharing[/QUOTE]

Maybe it works in older retroarch versions? Have you tested that?

Would it matter that g++ was used on all files(for name mangling) or does it compile in c mode if the extension is .c ?

Since the CC variable is set to path/arch-linux-android(eabi)-g++ and it was used to compile everything.

I also used gcc 4.9 not 4.8.

Set REALCC to gcc instead of g++ and recompiled it and it works (but is still only shows the library name instead of the core name even when named mame2014_libretro.so)

For arm only right now.

Heres the core: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HuG10h5HbnbC1vSTEyb2xhOGM/view?usp=sharing

[QUOTE=guicrith;39447]Set REALCC to gcc instead of g++ and recompiled it and it works (but is still only shows the library name instead of the core name even when named mame2014_libretro.so)

For arm only right now.

Heres the core: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HuG10h5HbnbC1vSTEyb2xhOGM/view?usp=sharing[/QUOTE]

That is awesome man! Downloading right now, btw I think you have to rename it mame2014_libretro_android.so

[QUOTE=guicrith;39447]Set REALCC to gcc instead of g++ and recompiled it and it works (but is still only shows the library name instead of the core name even when named mame2014_libretro.so)

For arm only right now.

Heres the core: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HuG10h5HbnbC1vSTEyb2xhOGM/view?usp=sharing[/QUOTE]

Tested it but it is not working, I guess it is not working for armv7?

For arm only right now.

This is MAME 0.159 (2015) run slow with many games

I have UME 2014 (MAME 0.152) this work faster and also can play cave sh3 Roms perfectly like Deathsmiles

[QUOTE=brujo5;39451]This is MAME 0.159 (2015) run slow with many games

I have UME 2014 (MAME 0.152) this work faster and also can play cave sh3 Roms perfectly like Deathsmiles[/QUOTE]

Really? Could you share your core?