MAME 2014 core auto save-load state won't work, because it can't create new folders

Hey, I was just moving my MAME setups from standalone to RetroArch, and I encountered a problem where cfg, nvram, and other files wouldn’t be saved in the save folder. Then, lurking around the board, I wound an explanation: for some reason, it can’t create the folders needed, so the files can’t be written. But after creating those folders manually ({savefiles]/MAME 2014/mame2014/cfg, for example), the files could be created and modified normally. This fixed the problem.

However, the core option of auto save-load save states depends on creating a new folder for each game inside the states folder ({savefiles]/MAME 2014/mame2014/states/{gamename}), so it doesn’t work unless I manually create a folder with the name of EACH game (which, as you know, it’s very inconvenient for a MAME romset).

Is there a way to actually fix this and let the core create all the folders it needs? Is it a problem with my configuration? Or is it a bug within the core that hasn’t been (or won’t be) addressed?

What I’ve already tried.

• Update to latest nightly and update cores.
  • Run RetroArch with administrator right
  • Manually sanitizing my savefolder path on the retroarch.cfg (end it with an \ at the end, like [B]d:\retroarch\savefiles[/B] instead of just d:\retroarch\savefiles. This was suggested on an old thread of this forum, but it didn’t work for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I’m pretty sure mame2003 can create its own directories. I guess the same capability would have to be added into mame2014

So it is a problem with the core. That clears it up, thanks for your quick answer :slight_smile: I guess there’s nothing for me to do besides wait for an update.

[QUOTE=spinningacorn;48269]So it is a problem with the core. That clears it up, thanks for your quick answer :slight_smile: I guess there’s nothing for me to do besides wait for an update.[/QUOTE]

You could file an issue in the github bugtracker for the MAME 2014 core if you feel comfortable writing up a summary of this thread.

I’m not much of a coder, but it might be a very easy change and someone will be able to help quickly (since it’s been done with another MAME core). Or it could be a very hard change and may not happen for a while. :slight_smile:

I know I should report it there if it were a bug, but I really wanted to make sure I wasn’t making any mistakes on my side before assuming it’s a bug :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wanted to add that I don’t have this problem with mame2003, that one works perfectly. It’s only mame2014 that won’t create folders by itself.

Hello, I have the same problem with the last core of MAME. They don’t want to fix it? I need a save for my score :slight_smile:

1 Like