MAME Core Playing Tiger Game.com

Hello,

This morning I finally got Tiger Game.com working via the mame core. I was excited to check out Duke Nukem and my xbox 360 buttons were not mapped properly. X was taking screenshots, Y was muting and unmuting the audio, and B was closing the emulator.

When I went into the controller setting via F1 in RA I was unable to map the buttons to ANYTHING. All of the buttons are displaying blank yet somehow still doing the various things mentioned above. I have never used mame and I actually just setup Super Vision the other day using the mame core and I am getting the same results. Obviously, since itā€™s the same core.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Think you need to press tab to get to the config of mame

1 Like

That was it, thank you! I forgot MAME had its own set of controls. The issue I am having now is that when I try to set the controls, the original actions are happening. Therefore when I go to set D using my B button on the 360 pad it closes the emulator.

How did you even get the Games to run properly??? For me, the Graphics get messed up, or the Emu says there is no Game Card

I am using RocketLauncher. My bios files were improperly named. Here are the steps I did to get it working.

1. Download Retroarchā€™s regular MAME core.
  2. Download Tigergame.com bios files.
  3. Name bios files external.bin and internal.bin This is the part I didnā€™t have right.
  4. Place bios files into a folder called gamecom and place them in your Tiger Game.com rom directory. Nothing needs to go into your \system\mame directory.
  5. Set the system directory for your MAME core to \system\mame

If you get yours working I would appreciate you posting how you got the contoler setup.

I got it Runningā€¦but always getting some Error saying there is no Game Inserted.

I donā€™t know what to tell you. I canā€™t try to boot into any of my games because I canā€™t map the controller.

Try going to system/mame/ and check if you have a cfg folder (like with the standalone MAME). If so, there should be a file there called default.cfg that has the MAME key bindings. You can modify it manually (at least to change the current keys for place holders).

I donā€™t have that folder and Iā€™ve never setup MAME.

bump. No one else wants to play these garbage games?

You eed to setup mame as if itā€™s stand-alone. easiest get mame for your platform and copy everything into /system/mame. then the roms goes into the roms dir, under the gamecom dir (if using softlist) and then load it using mame as the core

1 Like

Hello can you help me to emulate Tiger game.com using retroarch mame core?

1 Like

This is an old thread but I see no harm in getting you up and running.

For loading the games as content in the Retroarch menu we need to use the standard software list method. There are a few prerequisitesā€¦

You need the ā€œhashā€ folder from the version of MAME that matches your core.

Copy it to Retroarch\system\mame. (So you end up with Retroarch\system\mame\hash\ containing a bunch of XML files.)

You need the MAME software list roms for ā€œgamecomā€ and they need to be in a folder with that exact name. (e.g. roms\gamecom or Emulation\Tiger Game.com\gamecom etc.)

You also need the ā€œgamecom.zipā€ (The BIOS) from the MAME regular roms. It needs to be in the above folder where you have the roms.

Finally, you need to have software lists and auto media enabled in your MAME core options.

You ā€œmame.optā€ or ā€œgamecom.optā€ needs to look like this.

mame_alternate_renderer = "disabled"
mame_altres = "640x480"
mame_auto_save = "disabled"
mame_autoloadfastforward = "disabled"
mame_boot_from_cli = "disabled"
mame_boot_to_bios = "disabled"
mame_boot_to_osd = "disabled"
mame_buttons_profiles = "enabled"
mame_cheats_enable = "disabled"
mame_cpu_overclock = "default"
mame_joystick_deadzone = "0.20"
mame_joystick_saturation = "1.00"
mame_joystick_threshold = "0.30"
mame_lightgun_mode = "none"
mame_lightgun_offscreen_mode = "free"
mame_mame_4way_enable = "disabled"
mame_mame_paths_enable = "disabled"
mame_media_type = "rom"
mame_mouse_enable = "enabled"
mame_read_config = "disabled"
mame_rotation_mode = "internal"
mame_saves = "game"
mame_softlists_auto_media = "enabled"
mame_softlists_enable = "enabled"
mame_thread_mode = "enabled"
mame_throttle = "disabled"
mame_write_config = "disabled"

Note theā€¦

mame_mouse_enable = "enabled"

ā€¦the mouse is the only way I have been able to start a game.

Now when you load a rom via the ā€œLoad Contentā€ in Retroarch it will just work. (Make sure to NOT ā€œBrowseā€ the content.)

Alternatively, you can create a *.CMD for each game. (There are only 23.)

The advantage is you donā€™t have to worry about the name of the folder you have the roms in.

An example CMD file would be frogger.cmdā€¦

frogger.cmd

gamecom -rompath "D:\roms\Tiger Game.com\;D:\roms\Tiger Game.com\bios" "D:\roms\Tiger Game.com\frogger.zip"

If your bios, roms, and cmd files are all in the same folderā€¦

frogger.cmd

gamecom frogger

Then load the CMD file as content with the MAME core.

Once the system is running use the mouse to click on the ā€œCartridgeā€ icon to start the game.

Use the MAME internal menu (ā€œtabā€ key by default) to get the default controls or set up your own mapping.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your help friend

1 Like

In addition to Duimonā€™s guide, thereā€™s another way to load game com/non-arcade systems that doesnā€™t rely on the software list method. So if youā€™re having trouble getting it to work otherwise, you can also try this.

(Tested from a fresh, newly extracted RetroArch 1.17.0 install)

1. Download the MAME core.
  2. Obtain the Game com bios.
  3. Load content via RA and load the gamecom bios zip file.
  4. Select the MAME core to load the zip. It will start and launch the Game com menu/bios.
  5. At this point the system is running but no game/cart is inserted so via MAMEā€™s menu (keyboard TAB by default -navigate with keyboard arrows and Enter) > File Manager > Cartridge 1 > then youā€™re going to browse to where the game itself is (preferably unzipped -name doesnā€™t matter in this case)
  6. Once inserted, MAME will (usually) reset the system (depends on the system -doesnā€™t always occurs though with game com it does)
  7. Double click on the cartridge icon in the game com menu and the game will launch.

This works with MAME standalone and the MAME libretro core.

Optional:

So that you donā€™t have to browse to the game(s) directory every time: Once you have loaded gamecom zip go into RetroArchā€™s menu > Core Options > Manage Core Options > Save game options > enable ā€˜Read Configurationā€™ and ā€˜Write Configurationā€™ options. After that, you only need to browse to the gameā€™s folder once and it will remember the last folder next time. The last loaded game will even be already loaded/inserted so you donā€™t even to go to MAMEā€™s Tab menu.