MAME Git NoNag Builds for Windows

Now that the MAME Git core’s aspect and UI issues are sorted out, I decided to make some builds while the buildbot isn’t making them. These are all 64bit and based on 0.181 Git (Libretro Commit: 998c5aa):

Edit: Deleted since the buildbot builds are nonag. I did do a custom build of 0.186 with a few reverts that fix some nitpicks (read this reply for details):

I probably won’t update these often, but anyone else is free to reply with new builds. I wrote a compilation guide that hopefully most people can follow: MAME NoNag Compilation Guide for Windows

2 Likes

Thanks!

I was just cloning the git to test if the core was usable and I see your post. :slight_smile:

No prob :smiley:

Are you sure to use the last mame version , as nag screen is bypassed now due to the remove of libco dependency , so no hack /patch needed !

I didn’t even try compiling without the patch, so I’ll have to try that and see.

Edit: Yep, no nag screens without the patch. Good to know that when the buildbot is back up I can use builds from that without having to do my own when I want to update. Thanks for the info r-type!

Problems I noticed, that you probably know about, but just in case:

-analog controls not working (tried with gtmr to use my xbox360 pad left stick) -vertical games are squished when rotated (ror 1 / rol 1 in vertical.ini)

I saw the resolution core option, guess there is still no solution about that resolution problem? :frowning:

(Be careful with your cfg/ini folders when trying 0.180 as it messed up my controls for 0.170, keep them backed up.)

• For Analog strange that it didn’t work for you, did you toggle retro pad with analog in RA menu?

• I haven’t trying vertical option in ini file, i use RA to rot .

• Not aware about an resolution problem ? what do you mean , resolution option is just there in case you use Alternate rendering and it permit you to choose the alternate resolution (and then not hardcoding 1600*1200 alt res) .

Tried a bit more for analog and it’s working in other games like Forgotten World or Outrun.

Not sure what’s happening with gtmr (1000 miglia great 1000 miles rally). I can play this game with digital direction but it feels slower to react (similar to what happens in outrun if you use digital keys instead of analog).

edit:That’s the same in 0.170 lol. It’s more reactive in my head then! :stuck_out_tongue: Same in Mame stand-alone: Dial/Pad analog do nothing at all.

edit2: there’s a DIP switch setting to activate it… my bad. (it works strangely though)

I’m using Mame internal rotation and then Retroarch opposite rotation to put scanlines in the right direction for vertical games. I even made a .bat that does:

rename ".\config\mame\mame.cfg" "mamec.cfg"
rename ".\config\mame\mameb.cfg" "mame.cfg"
rename ".\config\mame\mamec.cfg" "mameb.cfg"

with video_rotation = “1” in mameb.cfg (and vertical.ini with ror 1 in mame folder). That’s my “one-click work-around” to have a vertical CRT shader atm.

I’m confused with that core option resolution setting. How was it working before the GUI rewrite, in 0.170? I believed it was just following the game resolution before and now it has to be defined… but it’s probably different?

edit: OK that didn’t change. I was just changing that resolution setting and seeing an AV re-init happening had me believed it changed, while it stayed at the native game resolution in the log.

So… no problem outside of that vertical games / rotation issue! Great work! :slight_smile:

I’m searching for a way to finally have those vertical games with vertical scanlines when using shaders. It has been done in the FBA core.

Here we could do it in different ways:

-stop Mame from rotating them (they’ll be in screen portrait mode with the scanlines in the right direction) then rotate with a libretro command -apply a Mame rotation (ror or rol command) then counter rotate with libretro -initialize a libretro rotated screen then render Mame inside of it

That’s some thoughts I’m trying to test but I don’t have much knowledge of Mame source / libretro commands… so I’m using brute force adding / changing some code and compiling to test, but that’s so tedious with that core that takes much time to compile even with a single source driver specified. :frowning:

Do you know if these builds save and load NVRAM and per game cfgs properly in the “saves” folder?

Yes, it even created all the correct folders (cfg and nvram) in my RetroArch save directory.

One problem I’ve come across was that if I try to run Radiant Silvergun or Cotton Boomerang, my monitor is forced into 60hz mode (it’s native 120hz). I have that problem with RetroArch in general when using Vulkan, but with those two games it’s happening in GL. I assume it’s something to do with how they have 480 line screens, since in Cotton it forces the hz change when it gets to the title screen.

I normally run the Saturn versions of those two in the Mednafen core instead since the emulation is better for them there, so it’s not a big deal.

Ok but isn’t Mednafen Saturn’s input lag worse than what you could get in MAME?

Thanks for the response btw, i think it’s time to update my MAME setup.

[QUOTE=GemaH;53110]Ok but isn’t Mednafen Saturn’s input lag worse than what you could get in MAME?

Thanks for the response btw, i think it’s time to update my MAME setup.[/QUOTE] Maybe, I haven’t noticed it myself yet. I dunno if anyone’s done any objective lag tests on that core.

I updated the links with 0.181 Git builds. They are stripped now so they’re a bit smaller. I also did a revert to this commit to cut off the horizontal black bars that were added to Bells and Whistles / Detana!! TwinBee.

Now there’s sound in Fire Shark and Vimana!

I noticed a problem with brightness / contrast values that are getting ignored in custom ini (like segas16a.ini or aliensynjo.ini). This is a stand-alone Mame bug if you wonder, I reported it.

So there was a change and drivers ini need to go into ini/source/ now (RetroArch\system\mame\ini\source here).

Except… neogeo.ini and x68000.ini are working for me without being in that source folder in Retroarch.

With Mame stand-alone, I couldn’t find a way to select a bios with an ini file for x68000… quite puzzling. Probably because games are started with command lines for that system or something.

I noticed today that CPS2 games are crashing Retroarch for me, when using the standalone MAME emulator, all games load fine. What could cause the crashing?

Have you updated your romset to 178 or newer ? CPS2 games got updated and now need a .key file in the rom.

1 Like

That fixed the problem mate, I never update my sets, only when needed, now the games are loading fine. Thanks a lot.

I just now noticed that only the Analog is working in this MAME build, digital directions only work in RA menus, etc., but not inside MAME emulation. Is that some problem?