Mame.ini not detected?

Hi, I’m trying to change joystick saturation for playing lightgun games as the crosshair doesn’t quite reach into the corners on a DS4 pad (latest mame core).

Have copied a mame.ini file with the updated setting from mame 0.221 standalone and placed in system/ini but it doesn’t seem to be reading it. The directory seems to be correct as there was already another ini in the same folder. The ‘read config’ core option is already enabled.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Or is there another way to change joystick saturation without ini fiddling? Thanks!

The right path should be retroarch/system/mame/ini

But i think you might configure your joystick in your OS configuration dialog.

Can you please post the content of your *.ini file?

Ah sorry, that was a mistake, I do have the mame.ini under retroarch/system/mame/ini as you state.

When you say the OS configuration dialog do you mean the menu that comes up when you press tab? Have looked around there but couldn’t find a joystick saturation setting.

Here is the contents of the ini file, it only contains the joystick settings, presume this is ok?

CORE INPUT OPTIONS

coin_lockout 1 ctrlr
mouse 0 joystick 1 lightgun 0 multikeyboard 0 multimouse 0 steadykey 0 ui_active 0 offscreen_reload 0 joystick_map auto joystick_deadzone 0 joystick_saturation 0.7 natural 0 joystick_contradictory 0 coin_impulse 0

Thanks for the help!

This is probably easier to read :nerd_face:

CORE INPUT OPTIONS

coin_lockout 1

ctrlr

mouse 0

joystick 1

lightgun 0

multikeyboard 0

multimouse 0

steadykey 0

ui_active 0

offscreen_reload 0

joystick_map auto

joystick_deadzone 0

joystick_saturation 0.7

natural 0

joystick_contradictory 0

coin_impulse 0

With OS (Operating System) i mean your Windows/Linux/Mac system settings.

As far as i understand (never played lightgun games on retroarch) joystick_saturation 0.7 means a 100% physical movement of the stick results in 70% movement in the game.
Maybe you need joystick_saturation 1.0 for lightguns.
Or is this settings only for the speed of the cursor?

Ah I see what you mean, yes it’s all set up properly in windows I believe, works fine and has the full range of movement on other RA cores and emulators.

Thanks for the suggestion of changing joystick_saturation to 1.0 - I did try this along with 0.1, 0.5 etc, but no adjustment is making a difference so it seems the mame.ini file is not being regarded.

I believe it’s not so much cursor speed as how far you have to push the analog stick in order to get the cursor to the edge of the screen. Or the size of the circle of travel the cursor makes as you rotate the stick (hard to explain!) If this circle is too small the cursor won’t reach into the corners in order to calibrate the guns properly.

Adjusting joystick_saturation does work as desired on mame standalone though so we’re on the right track. Just need it to act the same as the standalone and read from the .ini somehow.

1 Like

Try to look at the retroarch settings (settings-input)
Set Analog Deadzone to 0 and increase Analog Sensitivity to a value greater than 1

Ah you’re a genius! That’s fixed it! I set the analog sensitivity to 1.3 and that’s perfect. I was spending so much time trying to fix it from within mame that I totally forgot about the RA analog settings. Still can’t get the ini to read but that doesn’t matter now. Can calibrate the guns and actually hit the baddies in Carnevil! Thanks very much for the help, I really appreciate it.

1 Like