Mapping controller for sega cd and saturn

at my wits end. How come there are no options to tell retroarch where I want to put my c and z buttons. I have tried a ps3. Retro controller for ps3/pc. And a sega saturn 6 button. And I can not figure out how to map anything as c or z. Using mednafen and genesis x as the cores. Funnily enough when I run mednafen with out retroarch its incredibly simple to do. Why can’t it be done on retro arch. If its impossible does any one know an emulator for sega cd that will run the .chd format with out using retroarch. Right now with out being able to remap buttons as z or c most these games are unplayable or beyond awkward. Thanks for any help. Just really frustrated the last two weeks!

You can map them anywhere you want. The retropad’s labels are arbitrary.

It never gives me the option on sega cd or saturn. To remap a button as c or z. I tried in settings. I tried with the core loaded. I tried pressing f1 while the game is running and attempting it there. I tried changing it to a 6 button md controller option and c and z are still not an option.

when I press z or c it either does nothing on games I know those buttons are supposed to work. Or it acts like the trigger buttons for some reason.

So my sega controllers are useless for mapping c and z to the actual c and z buttons

You can see C and Z right there in my screenshot.

And I do not see from your picture, what the emulator recognizes as the c and z buttons. Sure I can make my controllers c and z into a,b,x, or y buttons. But I have zero options to make any button function as z or c.

I can map my controllers buttons to any function except to be recognized as the actual functional c or z. I have gone down that list and all it offers is directional buttons. Select. Start. A b x y . L1 l2 l3 r1 r2 r3. And analog things. Nothing that gives me the option for mapping a button to count as c or z.

all your screen shot shows is that you made your c and z buttons function as other buttons. Not as c or z. I am trying to figure out how to get the emulators for sega cd and sega saturn to actually believe that I can turn any button into z or c so I can use those buttons on games that ask for them. Right now if the game says press the c button for this action. Nothing works because the emulator has nothing mapped as a c button. As there are no options for it.

You have C currently mapped as the A button. So when it asks you to press C . It won’t work because the C button has been changed to act as A. I need to know how to change buttons to act as C.

It sounds like you’re not clear on the retropad concept. This document explains it: https://docs.libretro.com/guides/input-and-controls/

1 Like

aw ok,reading that its impossible to to make any button read as c or z for the sega cd or sega saturn, no problem, will look for another emulator, thanks! had no idea it was not possible!

that’s not what it’s saying at all.

All libretro cores run through an abstraction called the retropad. This is just a generic controller that we label more or less like a Wii U Pro controller.

You can map your physical pad to the retropad however you like (in settings > input > port 1 binds). You can also move the cores’ functions around on the retropad however you like (in quick menu > controls).

Just because we use BAXYLR doesn’t mean you can’t use your C or Z buttons. It just means they have to mapped to one of the retropad buttons, and those are usually L and R.

Does that make sense?

I get that 100%. Thats why its impossible. There is zero option to make something the c or z button. I can make button a into a b x y l r up down. I can make button a into anything except into a c or z button for sega cd or sega saturn. I can make my controllers c button into anything on a Playstation or snes control pad. But I cannot get it to register as a c button for the sega cd or sega saturn. I could care less that I can make it so everytime I press c the game registers it as A or B it gives me no option to turn C into C. Or to turn any button on my ps3 controller into a c.

if it is possible is there a picture. The picture you posted is you turning your c button into the a button. Not turn another button into c.

I am reading what you said again. And trying it. That doesn’t work for me. Because I have games that need l and r on the saturn. As well as z and c. That might fix my sega cd problem. So thanks!

The retropad has more buttons on it. L2/R2, L3/R3. You can map your C and Z to any of them and then set the core’s C and Z to whatever you’ve mapped them to.

If the sega saturn cores automatically remapped c and z to l and r. Then what did they automatically remap the sega saturn l and r buttons too. Since it seems in order to make c = c. Then I would have to tell the core to the cores l = c. Therefore l was never l. Which i can see now on a game. As l is clearly acting as the c button. But the other buttons don’t seem to mimic what l was originally supposed to do on the game.

I think it’s just matter of having it worded the correct way here, along with an example… (sorry I’m late to the party, but I figure if future retro-heads can be saved a bit of grief on this topic, then better late than never, right? This same issue ALMOST had me ready to give up on using RetroArch at least for Saturn games in particular, until I figured out what hunterk was talking about for myself…

So, allow me to attempt to explain, and show you my example of how I handled this very niche problem:

When you are in that main menu and go to your input control mapping for port 1, rasalonn, I totally see what you are referring to. Like I said, almost made me put down RA completely… But to resolve this, FIRST go to the quick menu option that hunterk mentioned above. You will see all the same buttons as the other one, but the sides are switched… check it:

See, my personal setup for keyboard controls for the Saturn, I like using WASD for directionals, and for the two rows of three buttons, I like JKL as my ABC, and IOP as my XYZ, respectively. (I like how it mimics roughly the same layout as the rows the way they are laid out on the Saturn controller.) So for me, I wanted the P key to be my Z button, and my L key to be my C button. With me so far?

Now, to make this happen, i.e. to get the option to decide what keyboard keys would function as C and Z requires just a bit of doing… (because they don’t appear to be listed directly as options in the input 1 port mapping via the main menu, as you are all too aware, rasalonn!) Here’s how I ended up doing just that. First, in the quick menu -> controls menu, find you a pair of buttons that don’t exist as an option / that the Saturn controller doesn’t have. I picked L2 and R2 (cause Saturn has only the two shoulder buttons, you dig?). So in this menu (quick menu input mapping) when you highlight L2 and hit “Enter”, you see a list of options to set it as. Ultimately, the nonexistent button you map it as does not matter, as long as it doesn’t take a needed spot ie a button that DOES exist on the Saturn controller like L or R controller buttons…for mine, I set L2 button as my Z button, and R2 button as my C button.

Still with me thus far? Coo. We’re almost done so hang with it just a bit more… Now, in your main menu control input mapping, you pick which keyboard key you want for your L2 (which gets interpreted now as Z for Saturn controller input, as seen by the game you’re playing…) Since I need my Z button as the last button in my top row (recall, IOP is my top row), in THIS input menu, I would want to set my L2 (aka my newly assigned Z button) as my last top row…the P key. Same dealio for the R2 (aka my C button) I want it as the last in my bottom (JKL) row of key-buttons, so R2 is set as my keyboard’s L key.

And voila…uh…well reading through it all at once, it seems more complex than it really is. But have some faith in this internet stranger who’s trying to help, and run it the way I did step-by-step, subbing in your preferences where appropriate.

Hope this helps!

((Small side note; I noticed I also had to change A to be A and B to be B as the default mapping via the quick menu had them swapped…same with X and Y…))

1 Like

I was also having a nightmare trying to get the Z button mapped to anything on sega 32 games. I have a kinhank device with retroarch, emuelec and physical controllers that look like cheapo PS 2 controllers. I got it working be going - retroarch - core settings - inputs and changing the controllers from the 3 button controllers to 6 button controllers. Saved that and restarted game and at last I can launch proton torpeedos in Star Wars arcade on Sega 32!

I have some weird issue where the analogue left stick if moved down always seems mapped to Select even though it’s not mapped to anything but I can live with that.