Mednafen / Beetle PSX (HW) - Gran Turismo 1&2 (E)

Is it just me, or did both games just stopped working at all ? Things i tried:

Games in Bin/Cue and PBP format HW Core in OpenGL and Vulkan mode Non HW Core Default configs and modified ones.

What happens: Emulator opens to a black screen and stays there indefinitely. My FPS indicator (via nVidia Shadowplay overlay) shows, that it starts out with 60FPS and drops to 0. The emulator then doesn’t respond at all. No overlay, no ESC closing.

I would recommend resetting Beetle PSX settings. Something probably wrong there. I’ve just finished playing GT2, used vulkan render and very high settings. Be aware that if you set Internal GPU Resolution to 32x, the emulator will crash on many rigs, use 16x instead, like I did.

Resetting / deleting the config alltogether could be worth a try. Though its weird that its just these two games that have issues. I know that GT1 used some trickery in terms of resolution, a higher than normal one iirc. Did GT2 have something similar as well ?

As for internal resolution, i think i went with 8 or something similar. Something, that endet up being close to 1080p. So i doubt i overshot it there.

But i’ll report back once i tried getting rid of my configs

So, numerous tests, tinkering and new Retroarch / Core releases, the games are finally running again. So i guess it was down to the configs. Might even be that i usually imported my old config files over to new RA versions, which might have had compatibility issues.

But nevertheless, they work. The basic Beetle PSX core runs the main game pretty much perfectly, but has a few ugly black lines in the menus. Nothing deal breaking.

The HW core however seems to have a broken frame pacer. Both cores report the same internal FPS, but while the basic core runs buttery smooth, the HW core, no matter if running in openGL or Vulkan mode, looks stuttery. Again, nothing deal breaking and its still highly playable, but a real shame that the better looking core falls a bit short in not delivering the best picture quality as well ^^

Gran Turismo 1 is working fine for me, but I can’t seem to make Gran Turismo 2 (simulation disc by the way) to work. It just gets stuck in a black screen after the “copyright notice” screen. Is there anything I can do to make the game work?

Setting the renderer to software (requires a full re-init of the core; that is, set the option, close content, go back to your playlist or load content and re-load it) is the only fix at the moment.