Mednafen Saturn core?

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;44695]That’s Mame saturn bios zip content you unzip in mednafen/firmware folder: mpr-17933.bin, sega_101.bin and any other you need.

Sound can stutter, particularly in video right now, and it’s probably less compatible than SSF (I could be wrong) but it’s still early (no PAL support yet).[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks!

I’ll definitely keep an eye out on this one. However SSF have one option that I don’t think Mednafen have yet and it’s “Mesh Translucent” from Program 4, which makes transparency look normal, like the water in Dracula X for example.

Still great to hear Dracula X is bootable and playable.

Your results with different games may vary but using the command switch “-cd.image_memcache 1” may reduce (or eliminate) sound and frame stutter.

[QUOTE=SigmaVirus;44697]OK, thanks!

I’ll definitely keep an eye out on this one. However SSF have one option that I don’t think Mednafen have yet and it’s “Mesh Translucent” from Program 4, which makes transparency look normal, like the water in Dracula X for example.

Still great to hear Dracula X is bootable and playable.[/QUOTE] When the Libretro port is out, you could use a shader like mdapt to make the dithered transparency look more like true transparency.

The core should be ready now!

I couldn’t wait more than a week! :slight_smile:

This is great. Thank you very much for this.

I’m finally using Mednafen for Sega Saturn emulation and it works AWESOME!!!

It literally blows SSF out of the water in all aspects.

I only have 2 games to begin with (Dracula X and Magic School Lunar) but they work right out the box and I haven’t even found a single hiccup (and the developers is modest enough to call this unstable, yeah right hahahahahaha)

I wish all “unstable” emulator releases were as stable as this, heck it’s even more stable then SSF have ever been.

However, I wish to dump SSF for good. Any chance of using my old saves from SSF in Mednafen? My Dracula X saves were over 120+ hours in and very much complete and I really hate losing all that work.

Save something in mednafen-saturn and then open the resulting savefile in a hex editor and then do the same with a copy of your SSF save. It’s likely there will be a big chunk that’s the actual save data, possibly surrounded by some garbage and/or padding. Swapping the big useful chunks might work.

Thanks for the tip hunterk!

Have you done something like this yourself before? Do you know if it would work?

I have used hexeditors before to extract ROMs from PS2 compilations (Sonic Gems and Mega collection)

Note I’m using standalone Mednafen and not the Libretro core so I don’t know the difference between saves.

It’s not like I don’t enjoy spending some time with Dracula X again, it’s just that I spent shit load of time leveling up getting perfect stats and getting a strong Muramasa sword.

It’s so easy with PSX and the .mcr format, I still use all my saves from the ePSXe days in the Mednafen PSX core in Libretro today. Really wish Saturn could have been as easy with saves as the PSX.

I’m currently trying to play my own dump of SEGA Touring Car Championship (PAL Version), but Retroarch crashes as soon as i click on the image (cue) file. Of course i have the bios files in my system folder.

Game boots fine with Yabause and SSF.

There is no PAL support yet.

It currently is x86_64-only, very CPU-intensive, lacking save state support, and not supporting PAL-region games.

oh, ok. :frowning: thanks for the clarification.

You could try using the Saturn Region Patcher on the game and see if it works. I have used this with varying degrees of success from working perfectly to working but with an issue or 2.

I have had no/zero luck with converting saves or using hex editors to edit saves.

I’m really fond of the Sega Saturn emulation with Mednafen but it all boils down to this specific save in Dracula X that I have spent so much time on which I can’t for the life of me bring over to Mednafen.

I’ll have to stick with SSF for a while longer it seems.

naah…im quiet picky with that. i really want to play my own untouched isos.

Ok, so make a backup copy.

Some weird behaviour with resolutions in Mednafen core. If you take a screenshot with this core, and the Yabouse core with GPU Screenshot ‘off’, you get two different resolutions.

Mednafen: 330x240 Yabouse: 320x224

This seems regardless of whether the ‘crop overscan’ parameter is used in Retroarch. What is weird is that the screenshots are 100% identical. This seems to mean to me that somehow Mednafen is scaling the Saturn output slightly? Because I’ve looked and 330x240 is not an official Saturn resolution.

I’m having a problem with US games.

From the log:

RetroArch [libretro ERROR] :: Error opening file: C:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Multi\RetroArch\system\mpr-17933.bin No such file or directory RetroArch [libretro ERROR] :: BIOS file “C:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Multi\RetroArch\system\mpr-17933.bin” is of an incorrect size.

It’s the same BIOS I’ve been using for the yabause core and for SSF, renamed to mpr-17933.bin The JP BIOS I renamed sega_101 and it works just fine.

[QUOTE=jnsl;45357]Some weird behaviour with resolutions in Mednafen core. If you take a screenshot with this core, and the Yabouse core with GPU Screenshot ‘off’, you get two different resolutions.

Mednafen: 330x240 Yabouse: 320x224

This seems regardless of whether the ‘crop overscan’ parameter is used in Retroarch. What is weird is that the screenshots are 100% identical. This seems to mean to me that somehow Mednafen is scaling the Saturn output slightly? Because I’ve looked and 330x240 is not an official Saturn resolution.[/QUOTE] Mednafen pads the vertical output to 240 with black scanlines. Some games do actually use those scanlines though, like Mega Man 8 and Die Hard Arcade. To crop the black scanlines for games that don’t use them, you need to use the initial and last scanline core options to cut off the first and last 8 scanlines. But, those options don’t work correctly yet. I’ve already made an issue about that on git: https://github.com/libretro/beetle-saturn-libretro/issues/7

[QUOTE=SkyHighGam3r;45361]I’m having a problem with US games.

From the log:

RetroArch [libretro ERROR] :: Error opening file: C:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Multi\RetroArch\system\mpr-17933.bin No such file or directory RetroArch [libretro ERROR] :: BIOS file “C:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Multi\RetroArch\system\mpr-17933.bin” is of an incorrect size.

It’s the same BIOS I’ve been using for the yabause core and for SSF, renamed to mpr-17933.bin The JP BIOS I renamed sega_101 and it works just fine.[/QUOTE] The exact BIOS you need matches the MAME/MESS Saturn BIOS.

Ok, so crop overscan doesn’t work with this core. Got it.

But that still does not explain why the horizontal resolution is 330px not 320px.

[QUOTE=Awakened;45363]Mednafen pads the vertical output to 240 with black scanlines. Some games do actually use those scanlines though, like Mega Man 8 and Die Hard Arcade. To crop the black scanlines for games that don’t use them, you need to use the initial and last scanline core options to cut off the first and last 8 scanlines. But, those options don’t work correctly yet. I’ve already made an issue about that on git: https://github.com/libretro/beetle-saturn-libretro/issues/7

The exact BIOS you need matches the MAME/MESS Saturn BIOS.[/QUOTE]