Mednafen Saturn core?

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4jaclo/first_pic_of_progress_from_mednafens_saturn_core/ Could this be ported in Retro Arch eventually?

Yeah, definitely. We’re big fans of ryphecha’s emu cores and are excited to see what she can do with such a historically underserved console.

This just made my day, it’s things like this that give me hope :slight_smile:

Have you seen the work and compatibility fixes of the unofficial Yabause port by DevMiyax?

He has made Yabause way better than the official version and can be downloaded for Android smartphones.

He even compiled a Windows port and i installed it and it works great.

Search play store for - uoYabause.

I wonder if RA would replace yabause official core with uoYabause…

[QUOTE=COMBO;39659]Have you seen the work and compatibility fixes of the unofficial Yabause port by DevMiyax?

He has made Yabause way better than the official version and can be downloaded for Android smartphones.

He even compiled a Windows port and i installed it and it works great.

Search play store for - uoYabause.

I wonder if RA would replace yabause official core with uoYabause…[/QUOTE]

I believe uoYabause would need to be ported to be a core in Retroarch, but I agree it would be pretty awesome since it uses OpenGLes 3 to render in OpenGL on Android. The developer of the emulator also plans to port it to Vulkan as well. It’s pretty exciting to have another Sega Saturn emulator in the works. Too many have fallen on the wayside in the past.

Really nice to see Saturn emulation improving daily. Also, looking for Jaguar emulation to improve, Virtual Jaguar is good, just needs more activity. That console had better ports graphically.

Glad to see more progress made on the Saturn front.

Still, always makes me that much more bitter that XBOX gets no attention.

[QUOTE=SkyHighGam3r;40049]Glad to see more progress made on the Saturn front.

Still, always makes me that much more bitter that XBOX gets no attention.[/QUOTE]

That is a SyberVapor in the pic, i own one :slight_smile:

1st public test version has been released:

http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=rview&goto=4409&th=1326#msg_4409

edit: …and I’m quite impressed. Every game I launch is close to perfect, just some little skipping here and there (sound or cpu usage?). Not a single obvious graphical bug.

I don’t have any 3D intensive game though.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;44408]Every game I launch is close to perfect, just some little skipping here and there (sound or cpu usage?). Not a single obvious graphical bug.[/QUOTE] That’s very good news. Can’t wait for a libretro port.

So far from quick testing of my small number of games (17) I am extremely impressed for it being just the first unstable release. Compatibility with my collection seems to be 50/50 but to be fair a couple of those didn’t even work with SSF or Yabause. But the games that did work worked extremely well.

I’ve only tested three games so far, but they all seem to run flawlessly. In the Yabause core running Panzer Dragoon Saga I get quite a bit of sound crackling, but I don’t notice any sound or visual problems in Mednafen. This is on a 2500k running at 4.4ghz. The 3D Controller analog works and so does in game saving. BGM works in Asuka 120% and Assault Suit Leynos 2 boots and plays great.

Is there any plan to upgrade mednafen core to the last version so can play saturn game with it?

Yes, we’re working on it but there’s no ETA.

Hahaha, they are endearing little things aren’t they? Well, 99% of the problems I have are due to the R9 390X video card… horrible video card, don’t ever buy one. It’s just exacerbated by the almost complete lack of airflow in their case. I had to do several slight modifications.

Thing overheats watching Hulu though… ugh.

I’m switching to an Nvideo GTX 1060 as soon as they are in stock at a reasonable price somewhere.

You mentioned in a picture though? Is there still a picture showing up in my signature on your end?

The latest audio code additions on the main Yabause repo was recently compiled into the uoYabause Android Port. The audio is much better on that game and others running on my Shield TV. It would be nice to have those sound improvements on the Yabause core in Retroarch, but I don’t think it will make things any better running on Android until the openGL render gets ported over.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;44408]1st public test version has been released:

http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=rview&goto=4409&th=1326#msg_4409

edit: …and I’m quite impressed. Every game I launch is close to perfect, just some little skipping here and there (sound or cpu usage?). Not a single obvious graphical bug.

I don’t have any 3D intensive game though.[/QUOTE]

You don’t happen to own Akumajou Dracula X Gekka no Yasoukyoku or Magical School Lunar by any chance? I would really want to know how those two games would run.

Otherwise I might test them out myself sometime when I have free time :frowning:

Just made the introduction until the Alucard start. Didn’t encounter any problem.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;44693]Just made the introduction until the Alucard start. Didn’t encounter any problem.[/QUOTE]

OK, cool! No graphical glitches, hiccups or anything like that then?

I’ve been meaning to switch from SSF at one point or another, finally I may do so in a near future.

How do you name the BIOS and where do you put it?

That’s Mame saturn bios zip content you unzip in mednafen/firmware folder: mpr-17933.bin, sega_101.bin and any other you need.

Sound can stutter, particularly in video right now, and it’s probably less compatible than SSF (I could be wrong) but it’s still early (no PAL support yet).