Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I played this sonic port for the commodore 64, with this shader looks really good.:grin:

2 Likes

That would probably look amazing!

2 Likes

Stuff cookin in the HSM kitchen :slight_smile:

Jaguar snapshot with default shader:

Smoothed shader

Jaguar snapshot with default shader

Smoothed shader

Some Fixed/Updated presets coming in the examples package:

@MrRetroLust Space Invaders! Multi Layer

@MrRetroLust Black Tiger Multi Layer

Some fixes to the Fake Scanlines

SMOOTH-ADV preset with core sampling multiplier set to 600 and no-scanline mode on

Added Fake Scanlines at core res

Changed Scanline direction to vertical @Zombeaver

14 Likes

Hey guys… was searching around to see if anyone had done 2 and 3 screen presets (Ninja Warriors, Rastan 3, etc) when I found this conversation… was just wondering if anybody had finished working presets like this for a horizontal screen?

2 Likes

It looks amazing. It would be nice a slot mask default preset too. I love the way trinitron mask looks here…:grin:

3 Likes

@Zombeaver has done some 2 and 3 screen presets.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/zombs-mega-bezel-pack/39519/31?u=duimon

Unlike the question in the post you referenced, he uses a single bezel which is more true to the original. I doubt anyone wants to play Darius on three split screens with bezels.

5 Likes

Yeah like Duimon mentioned, for games like Ninja Warriors, Warrior Blade (Rastan 3) and Darius in my experience the single super wide screen is the nicest presentation.

For something like TX1 or BuggyBoy it could be interesting to separate the screens and add a perspective tilt on the side screens since in the original arcade machines they were tilted and acted kind of like windows in the car. But that’s a fair bit of work for one or 2 games.

I do wonder if some sort of perspective projection of a wide curved screen might look nice, although at that point you wouldn’t want it to look like a tube anymore.

3 Likes

I’ll check out Zombeavers, he has some nice ones.

I tried a couple dual screen games… I made one for Spy Hunter 2 that turned out ok, and then tried Cyberball, but couldn’t get the screens right. There was always a problem with the gap in between… so then I was wondering what people had done for other multiscreen games with no gap.

3 Likes

Let me know if you want to take a look at this again and maybe we can figure out a solution to the problem.

1 Like

Thanks… mainly it was when I had placed the screens as close together as the “position offset between screens” would allow, then I had trouble placing the screens (I was trying to make a side-by-side horizontal) because you can only move the second screen in the dual screens section, so I was going back and forth between that and the offset and position settings at the top for the first screen to make small adjustments, but the adjustments to the second screen would end up causing me to make more adjustments for the first screen and eventually I gave up.

The question I started having as I was working on these is… I’m really only playing these games single player… would it be better to disable the second screen on the 2 player vs. double screen games? If I do, then there’s the question of authenticity, but I think playability overrides that for me. If I do decide to eliminate the second screen… I’m not even sure if there’s a way to handle that in the shader (total noob feeling his way in the dark here).

Anyway, here’s a screenshot of my Spy Hunter 2 just for fun.

1 Like

So the best way to do this for this example would be to increase the cropping on the right side to probably 50% then poof! no more second screen :grin:.

2 Likes

Just found this:

2 Likes

He’s got a thread here. He’s been churning out the presets.

1 Like

Worked perfectly. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi! I’ve got something weird happening with a couple of cores, so far the Beetle HW PSX and the Flycast Dreamcast cores. On those, the side bezels on both TheNamecs and Zombi’s shaders are reversed and inverted. I’m running the latest version of RA and have the most recent update of Slang shaders.

Is there something I need to tweak on the parameters?

1 Like

You need to change the [FLIP & ROTATE] >>> Flip Viewport Vertical parameter from 0.00 to 1.00.

This is a common issue with hardware rendered cores.

I am not surprised you are getting the error with @TheNamec’s presets, since his aren’t tailored to the core, but Zombi must have been using software rendering or just didn’t check it live. :innocent:

In any case, make the change and save a core preset.

3 Likes

just thought how great a “passthrough” core where that could grab the image of another screen/app and display that in retroarch to throw everything at this shader ^^

besides… HSM…we …urgh…the arcade shot em up fans …ähm tbh… I would like a third screen option why ?? cuz Darius :smiley:

(and this could improve the idea to use screens as lightsource for overlay stuff leds,etc.)

1 Like

This has been discussed again recently. While it makes sense on paper it doesn’t make sense in practice. Darius and other similar games use border-less screens so the screens appear as one.

Having three bezels, even with no gap, would not be enjoyable or accurate.

One solution for flashing lights etc. would be to have a random brightness timer on a layer and use it for these elements. (If this is even possible.) If it doesn’t need to flash you can just bake the lights into the graphic.

Some things the MAME core is capable of, with it’s layout system, the Mega Bezel will never be able to do.

4 Likes

…unless some method was developed to allow it to interface with those additional MAME modules which drive special off-screen features at some point in the future.

yeah i know ^^

about the mame capability hsm once said he has something like this on his list …for someday but for that an entire driver has to be coded …i´m not so the coding guy so idk.

but i like your timed idea for brightness. this could also simulate a couzy window with some lightnig/thunder at night .

but tbh everything else is luxury anyways ^^

i´m happy with that what we already have …hsm already has a lot of amazing ideas still in mind for it so am happily waiting

2 Likes