Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

You should follow these instructions:

Let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for quick response! I got it all right. Working 100% :handshake:

2 Likes

Hi. I want to improve my gamma settings, I think something is not right yet. I want to know what is [CRT BRIGHTNESS &GAMMA] Gamma In(game embedded Gamma) and Gamma out(Electron Gun Gamma) do I have to use both the same numbers or are they different? Also theres another two that are the same in [GAMMA] section that is the same but with the numbers 2.25 In and 2.50 out. What’s the difference? Which is the correct number to match a crt gamma? Sorry for the dumb question, but I don’t know how this gamma thing works yet… And I want to improve it… Thanks

1 Like

No, not a dumb question :slight_smile: So there are few gamma corrections which happen through the chain.

So if you adjust a few of them at the same time then you will get extra gamma correction which you may not want.

There is already a gamma adjustment being applied in grade, so I usually adjust the gamma out in there to apply more gamma. The other thing I usually do is adjust the color temperature in grade, I find about 7400 or higher seems nice, things appear a bit cooler/bluer.

2 Likes

Ok thanks :grin:. I Tweaked the gamma a bit, I think the results are amazing… Here an Arcade example :star_struck: What do you think?

3 Likes

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness is this a bug?

Version V1.8.1_2023-01-11

MBZ__1__ADV__GDV-NTSC.slangp

Default settings

Bezel Independent Scale Enabled, Independent Scale percentage reduced from default.

Reflection Blur turned off to show the issue more clearly.

I’m seeing parts of the viewport which (I think) should be occluded by the bezel and the reflection plane seems incorrect when I alter the Bezel Scale independently?

If it’s not a bug, how do I get the reflection to scale with and follow the Bezel if using Bezel Independent Scale?

Edit:

This is also present in V1.7.0 as well as V1.9.0.

1 Like

Yeah, this seems like a bug, I’ll check it out

3 Likes

Thanks a lot. It also happens in v1.7.0.

Not sure if this is how it’s supposed to work but I tried increasing the Inner Black Edge Thickness to create a nice black border around the viewport and it caused the entire bezel to expand outwards. I was hoping to get an increased inner black edge while leaving everything else in place.

This is how it’s designed to work, because you usually have the bezel set the way you like it and when you add more black edge you don’t want it to change how the bezel looks.

Also graphics around the tube like the monitor housing often follow the tube scale.

It’s possible that an independent frame scale could do what you are asking about, but I’m not sureit would be used much

2 Likes

Is this intentional? The filtering section from the non NTSC presets is now included.

Also, presets look a bit different between 1.7.0 and 1.8.1 out of the box.

MBZ__1__ADV__GDV-NTSC.slangp base preset.

1 Like

6 Likes

Hi, just a wee question. When I am applying shaders to my screen it changes the game screen from full to about quarter of the size. Any ideas why this would be happening?

1 Like

Could you post a screenshot so we can see what you’re seeing? Also which preset were you loading?

2 Likes

Yes this is intended, I’m now using the same crt pass from GDV for GDV-NTSC while including the ntsc stuff before it.

The only difference I see here is that the reflection is brighter. This is not expected, so I’ll investigate to see why it’s different.

1 Like

The sharpness, clarity and resolution of the image from 1.7.0 are perfect. There’s no blurring that can be seen at a distance on a large 4K screen.

The image from 1.8.1 is actually slightly blurry. If you focus on the edges of the text you can see the higher contrast and black levels on the image from 1.7.0 vs 1.8.1. It might seem subtle on a smaller screen or image but when blown up on a big screen and viewed from a distance it’s clearly evident.

I’ve been putting in a lot of work to ensure that my S-Video NTSC II presets were easy on the eyes and maintained sharpness and focus from a distance.

This explains a lot. At the same Scanline Direction Multiplier setting of 600, 1.8.1 seems to produces a softer image. If I change it to 100, it gets sharper but now I notice some ringing like artifacts that weren’t there before.

So there’s now an uneven thickness in the vertical mask lines on the right hand side of the red letters in the “Super Mario World” title. Increasing Fast Sharpen kinda cleaned it up a bit but this comes after I stopped using Fast Sharpen due to it reducing contrast on the black edges of sprites and graphics.

I did this before I realized the extra filtering section was active so I don’t yet know exactly what I might have to do to recalibrate the image after taking those settings into consideration.

At this point what would be perfect is if the reflection plane bug fix could be backported to 1.7.0 but I know that’s not a realistic expectation.

Other than that I’m hoping it will be simple to get an equivalent output from 1.8.1 after you look it over. Or at least some guidance as to what changes under the hood might have caused a change in output and how to compensate for them. I was looking out for the SGENPT-MIX and PSX Box Blur but not the others.

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work you’ve put into and continue to put into HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader!

1 Like

Just to give some background on why it changed: In V1.7.0 the core res multiplier for the scanline direction was not doing anything. When you aren’t using scalefx this isn’t much of a problem, but as you reported, to have the results of the scalefx actually visible you need to increase the core res multiplier for the scanline direction.

So to support this properly and make the package more maintainable I switched out the gdv-ntsc crt pass for the standard gdv crt pass because they are extremely similar.

I’ll take a look to see where horizontal blur difference is appearing between the old and new. Do you see any difference with the base preset? Or only with the settings in your preset?

2 Likes

I only used the base preset to present my report of the reflection issue. I haven’t taken a closer look to see if I can see the difference in the horizontal blur.

It was pretty easy to spot using my latest preset that I’m working on though since its primarily clarity I was trying to improve over the last release available in my package.

If you’d like to test it, it’s basically my existing

\Mega_Bezel_Packs\CyberLab\MBZ__1__Advance_Full_Reflections_CyberLab_Special_Edition\4K_Optimized_Presets\Console_Specific_Presets\CyberLab_SNES_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC_II + CFRS_Mega_TV.slangp

preset with

Integer Scale set to 1

and

Integer Scale Offset Set to 1

with the

Horizontal Sharpness set to 1.300000

and

Subtractive Sharpness set to 1.300000.

The is

Frame Thickness set to 0

, the

Independent Scale set to 89.769897

and the

Bezel.Scale Offset Set to 106.299904.

I hope this wasn’t implemented mainly based on my initial accounts as I was just getting my feet wet with the GDV-NTSC base preset. I kinda accepted that things worked differently with the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV-NTSC base preset as opposed to the MBZ__1__ADV__GDV-NTSC.

After you explained to me that a Core Res Multiplier Setting of 600 was similar to 100 in the non-NTSC GDV base presets I used that as the basis and tweaked around that.

Apart from some of my relatively older presets, my use of ScaleFX has been somewhat limited. I had it enabled using a Core Res Multiplier of 100 for an extremely subtle effect.

I simply accepted that the Smooth__ADV__GDV__NTSC’s core res resampling setting and GDV__NTSC Scaling setting worked differently between the MBZ__0 and MBZ__1 versions and was able to produce beautiful presets using both.

I was even able to get rainbow effects, blending and transparency using both, just had to use relatively higher NTSC Scale values for the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV-NTSC variants.

I had updated my post with the Ninja Gaiden screenshots once I had gotten the hang of things.

Was just about to release my best Genesis, NES and SNES, presets ever using the MBZ__1__ADV__GDV-NTSC and Turbo Duo preset using MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV-NTSC, when I discovered the reflection bug.

My apologies if there was any misunderstanding leading to any unnecessary work on your part.

1 Like

Another thing That I want to know, is what is scalemode: SCREEN|OUTPUT|ABSOLUTE|MASK for? For me the default one looks better, and 1 sometimes, but don’t know what is it for. And integer scaling, which is best for 4K? integer scaling is is better to round up or round down? Thank you all for all the help :smiley:

2 Likes

BTW, I created a personal thread, so anyone can find my personal screenshots and gameplays, so It would be easy to find them. I hope you enjoy it :grin:

4 Likes

Going to try something else which I gleaned from YT, hope it fixes it!