Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Just an FYI after doing some more playing and observation last night I noticed that this is still happening. Not sure if the frequency or behavior has changed as its just some initial tests and osbervations but I was wondering if this was the same “color rainbowing in the reflection” that you were referring to or maybe something different.

I can post new screenshots and do some further investigation if necessary.

Off the top of my head, it “feels like” the behaviour might have changed and it’s no longer occurring in the same games and scenarios but still showing up in others.

1 Like

I Updated RA to use Mega Bezel V1.12.0_2023-03-11. But It seems to be a problem with RA 1.15.0. Windows failed to launch RA, or even if it does, It soon crashes and returns to Windows. Is this only happening to me? There’s no error message at all, so I can’t get any clue. everything is just fine with 1.14.0 now.

My system : Windows 10 / AMD 5600X / GTX3070Ti

Yeah if you can post a couple new images, and include settings from the preset you are using?

1 Like

Sure, I’ll do that when I get a chance.

hmm, I don’t have any problems.

Also you could rename your retroarch.cfg, then launch, then you will get fresh settings.

Is it a complete new install? If not I would try that.

If both those fail then I would try turning the logging on in the cfg file and then launch to see if you get any log.

I think these settings should do it: settings_show_logging = “false” frontend_log_level = “0” content_runtime_log = “true”

1 Like

@HyperspaceMadness

Do you think this is worthy of inclusion in the Mega Bezel?

This is a “looks good at viewing distance only” preset, since it only attempts to emulate the black space of a slotmask and not the individual phosphors. I’m not completely satisfied with the sharpness, but I think I’ve hit a point of diminishing returns as far as that goes. I think this is the most satisfying emulation of a slot mask possible at 1080p, personally. NTSC version shown here, but I have an RGB version as well.

Compare to this photo of a Commodore 1084 monitor (can anyone identify this game?)

Some additional Commodore monitor photos that @DariusG and @MajorPainTheCactus dug up can be found here

4 Likes

I think that’s Astal, Sega saturn

4 Likes

My attempt recreating that using Guest.r-Dr.Venom GLSL original version

6 Likes

Nice work!

I think I’m pretty close to nailing it, what do you think? Do be sure to zoom in to get a good look at the mask structure.

4 Likes

That’s really good. Did some research before tweaking gdv, that monitor should be about 500 tvl if you zoom in the image. So it’s more close with mask 0-7 and slot mask size 2. Or mask 8 on gdv-mini. Mask 10 gives us around 360 tvl but it’s convincing too.

2 Likes

I think the monitor might sit somewhere between mask 7 width 2 and mask 8 width 3, here are the same settings but with mask 7 and slotmask width 2.

Also, the monitor in the photo appears to be using RGB or S-video, and I’m using composite NTSC here so there are some differences resulting from that:

3 Likes

Yeah I had one of those with an Amiga and later a PS1, I remember the image was stunning. Definitely better than an average TV.

2 Likes

I believe it! I once bought a Trinitron FD-Wega from the owner of a local barcade, he had a whole stack of Commodore monitors in the corner of a room. I asked if he would be willing to sell one of those, and he just said “No.” :joy:

@HyperspaceMadness sorry for the tangent!

3 Likes

Haha yeah I wouldn’t sell that too. It was like having an arcade at home, perfect colors, crisp. One of the best. It looked godly. Agree that 7 looks more defined than original shot, 540 tvl is too much. Should be 400-something. Probably mask 10 on 1440p would do the trick

3 Likes

2 Likes

Hey guys. Amazing progress has been made since the last time I checked in. Great job!

I’m having an issue running Mega Bezel with the Dreamcast emulator Flycast. For some reason the bezel isn’t fully fitting the screen. There is this small gap on the top and bottom. When I use the shader with other emulators it does fullly filll the screen. I may be overlooking a minor detail. I’m using an old version of Mega Bezel that is compatible with CRT Royale. Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

The shader is core agnostic. Here is a shot using the image viewer core.

There is, and has always been, some space on the top and bottom. You can use the “Non-integer Scale %” parameter to increase the scale if you like.

1 Like

Just seen your screenshots looks amazing! I’m going to post Pictures of the same game in my CRT with iso 100. It’s real hardware, then I will post the same game on mega bezel. Has you can see on sega saturn scanlines are less pronunciated than Dreamcast.

Real sega Saturn Pics:

3 Likes

@hunterk Would you mind moving the last 10 posts or so to the shader show-off thread? Starting to stray a bit. :smile:

And here is my Mega Beze setting:

1 Like