Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I know, the photos don’t do the trick at all. Weekend at my brother-in-law’s house, he opens retroarch and I tell him “try these shaders”. I have him load the “Anti-Alias” presets first from the variation folder, and the “Extra-Smooth” one afterwards. We had fun like two children, visually fantastic, he is still thanking me for showing them to him. But the real thanks goes to you @HyperspaceMadness and to all the guys who contributed to your work. These presets are gold in the retrogaming community. Thank you with all my heart.

7 Likes

P.S. My brother-in-law updated the shaders online through retroarch two days ago. Then unfortunately due to a technical fault he still doesn’t have the internet connection operational. His version of the Mega Bezels however did not have some updates like FXAA, so I suspect they were not uploaded to the repository.

3 Likes

@Duimon it looks like Retroarch 1.16 broke your MegaBezelProject shaders with vertical games autocorrecting. Things are all messed up now. Are you seeing the same thing?

1 Like

Nope.

MAME

FBNeo

Which rom, core, and preset are you using?

Make sure that the MAME core is set to use “Internal” rotation.

BTW. To keep from cluttering HSM’s thread, please post questions about my presets to my thread.

2 Likes

Hi Duimon, thank you very much for your fast respond. I found it “HSM_Duimon_Super_Famicom_3840x2160.png”, cool!!! Thank you for your effort and hard work! Nice Style! Kind Regards, Elena

2 Likes

Post converted to using a quote for an attempt at better clarity:

1 Like

Hi, is there a way to input an explicit integer scale? I’m playing Tekken 3 and the game does a 1.33 aspect correction AFTER a PAR correction( 384:480=4:5=0.8–>5:4=1.25->1.25x384=480-> 480x1.333…=640) which ends up as 5x the horizontal res and 3x the vertical res for my monitor (1920:1440=5x384:3x480) and then it gets cropped (1825:1344=5x365:3x448).

1 Like

Where is it getting the PAR correction.

The Retroarch Video Scaling should be set to “Full”.

I’m confused. Not much that you posted makes sense to me.

You can enable Integer Scaling in the shader and any explicit aspect ratio you want.

Then adjust the Integer Scale Offset to make a choice of scale.

From the resolution, 384:480=4:5=0.8->5:4=1.25->1.25x384=480->480x1.333…=640. OR 1.25x1.333…=1.666…->1.666…x384=640.

1 Like

I still don’t understand why you are multiplying a ratio, acquired by division, by another ratio.

Can you turn on the “Show Resolution Info” parameter and maybe use that to help show me what you are talking about?

Maybe I’m just not thinking about it the right way. :grin:

What would your math determine from my screenshot.

My math says 1.33.

Maybe you can take a screenshot to contrast mine.

2 Likes

If you want integer scale, what I would suggest is along the lines of what Duimon said:

You want to set the retroarch video scaling aspect ratio to FULL. Then turn on the integer scale parameter in the shader parameters this will give you vertical integer scale. Then you can adjust the integer scale multiple in the shader parameters.

And if you turn on the resolution debug text (2nd parameter in the parameter list) it will tell you exactly what is going on.

So I used the integer scaling setting in the shader at both axis scaling with a 100% base and auto aspect, and it looked right in gameplay, but not in the FMV (cause the res used by the FMV doesn’t scale in an integer way):

So I used the non-integer scale settings at 100.57% scale and 92.80 offset and adjusted the explicit aspect ratio until the res used was 1825:1344 and then it looked “right” (look at the moon) (the settings seem to change their stepping behavior sometimes, and changing the aspect ratio didn’t put the aspect I selected through selection, only by left and right arrow key stepping) by:

I wanted it to set use a final resolution of 1825:1344 and then scale the content to fit that res, and this achieved that it seems.

1 Like

Hey @HyperspaceMadness,

Whenever I try to load an advanced preset shader along Window Cast Core, my system gets stuck like this:

Any idea?

System Specs:

• RTX 3070
  • Ryzen 7
  • 16GB RAM
1 Like

Hi, looking at your log there are a bunch of very large pass buffers (4308x2430). What is your monitor res?

Make sure you set the resolution for the game in WindowCast to be the base game resolution, E.G. 640x480. Or run the windows game in a window that size.

Also if you are trying to use a SMOOTH-ADV preset try just the ADV preset which takes less memory.

Well, In the current test I am using a 2560x1080 monitor. The game is the New TMNT/Steam. I left the game in windowed mode, 480x270 (the smallest) and I think that made it work…

But only the ADV. (didn’t work with Smooth) :neutral_face:

2 Likes

This probably has to do with ScaleFx, I couldn’t get it to load a Smooth preset at all, but I can load an ADV preset with the game at 1920x1080.

2 Likes

@AmateursPls has written a tool to help with WindowCast (the core that let’s you play windows games with while having retroarch apply shaders on top) , I haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds cool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good!

I read the instructions, but they don’t seem easy to understand. Honestly, I don’t know how this can be used. I think there is a lack of more details for the layman!

1 Like

Tried it and it just crashes. I did manage to get it to load a game, but only when running it from the game root folder. In the latter case it still managed to hang Retroarch.

The idea is sound but it seems like it may require some environment setting provided by the front-end.

I haven’t tried it with Launchbox yet.

I think it needs a bit more work.

1 Like

It would be great if something like that could be added directly in Windowcast.