Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

You made me think and think out loud, and for this I thank you. But given that I have a family and a mortgage takes away almost all the purchasing power on the gaming side, I already feel lucky to be able to change computers in this historical moment, hoping for a better future for myself and for everyone. In terms of pure emulation 4K is the “Holy Grall” resolution but using this resolution still costs too much in terms of hardware and resources.

4 Likes

Hello,

Is there a 16:9 one with minimalistic reflective bezels? Trying to acquire as much screen estate as possible with the WS patched games.

Thanks

Good evening everyone, considering that the Vulkan drivers are extremely capricious, generating stuttering problems, would it be possible to optimize MegaBezel with Direct 3D 11? Starting a game under d3d11 is slow even if the game works perfectly. Can the opening be optimized in some way?

What are these Vulkan stuttering problems? I don’t have these.

I hope everyone is well.

I am still tinkering and I wonder if anyone can answer these questions please? I have noticed with some shaders that the ‘characters’ can appear more prominent against the ‘background’. (as per second screenshot). Does that mean that the background and the character can be tweaked separately? If that is the case, which sections of the parameters do I need to be looking at?

Shaders work on the whole final image, they have no informations about what is what, not even layers, just a grid of colors.
I guess that if you notice that a character “pops out” from the background, probably it is just a matter of color tones/gamma/levels.
Which in turn could be a lucky combination or maybe it is on purpose, in the sense that the artist intended the final content to appear just like the shader is rendering it; and it that case hats off to the preset/shader creator!

In the first screenshot, blacks and dark greys are crushed (whites are over saturated too, too much contrast); as a consequence, anything under a certain luminosity level to just falls into the void, like the character leg; so probably it is not that the second screenshot has a “more prominent” character - it is the first one that blends its leg with the background.

In short, preset from the second screenshot retains shadows and gradients and so image depth. The first one flattens almost everything.

1 Like

Thank you. To be honest, the pictures I chose weren’t the best examples to compare but onscreen the character appears to have the same contrast/saturation in both and I had wondered if the image was made of several adjustable layers.

This is where I first noticed the effect (one of Cybers I believe) and onscreen the layering effect looks almost 3d.

2 Likes

That looks good, I heard Seeeeegaaaaaa! in my head. :smile:

This thread says their issue was resolved three or four years ago. I’m running an nvidia card, and not having any problems, but I can’t comment on your Radeon drivers.

Hi, I use an AMD card and everytime I update drivers I have to reboot the pc to stop the stuttering. The other day I had the same problem but I didn’t update the drivers so it was something else… and the culprit was that I had video_hdr_enable = “true” in my retroarch.cfg file. Last thing I did was play at my hdr-capable tv and forgot to turn hdr off afterwards. Changing “true” to “false” made all good again. Hope this helps you.

1 Like

I think this is a different problem, I tried with retroarch 1.13 and the problem doesn’t exist. So it’s not a problem with the AMD drivers, but it’s a problem with Retroarch which from a certain version onwards, with the AMD drivers (I use the 560 RX) gives rise to this problem.

Off topic a bit, but had anyone else tried Intel Arc GPUs with Mega Bezel? Just got an Arc a770 16GB and it can barely run Mega Bezel on potato settings. My 3060 runs like a champ on the most demanding settings. Any suggestions?

P.S. I’m willing to try to help be a guinea pig to get Mega Bezel running on Intel Cards, I love this project

4 Likes

I have been thinking about getting a Arc a750 myself, but from what I have seen around most people have nVidia cards on the forum. It’s good to have multiple types and brands of cards for testing to help optimization.

2 Likes

I really like the card and it’s features so far, extremely good for the price. But it is very much a niche thing. I’m trying to find the things that it struggles with and so far mega bezel is the one.

I tried with different drivers but so far it just failed to load shaders on the others.

1 Like

Hmm, The V2 version of the shader when I finish the optimization phase might be a bit faster.

One thing I’m thinking about is possibly making a script which could turn all the tunable parameters into static values. I think would have a big performance improvement. That would result in a Mega Bezel package that had static values which means not configurable after the script was run. This would be a bit like the BigPEmu versions of the Mega Bezel.

7 Likes

I think for us guys that like to tinker with the parameters all the time that might be more trouble… unless I’m not understanding how it would work. Once you “locked in” with the script would there be a way to “unlock” to make more tweaks?

As I’m sure you are aware, it is highly publicized the Arc drivers are very much first gen and need LOTS of tweaking by the Arc software team. I am sure once the driver matures, the performance will improve. Of course waiting will be the hard part.

1 Like

Yeah of course, just was wondering if anyone else had tried mega bezel with an Intel GPU before. I’m gonna dive into the settings on my own and see if I can get it working with any tweaks.

I managed to make one in bash, it traverses the preset chain till the main reference.

You’ve to tell him what’s the file with all the pragmas too, so that it can lock even the default parameters not changed by the presets themselves.

It is not perfect everytime, but works mostly.

It would be cool if ‘not simple’ presets could save the defaults too, it seems it skip those parameters.

Currently using it to use koko-aio smoothly on this crippled samsung phone.

Maybe it works under windows too with Cygwin/Wsl/Whatever

2 Likes