Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Ive been using the mega bezel in a sony hd crt that support 1920x1080i and 1920x1440, when using the first resolution ive had no problems with the shader fill my tv 4:3 area with the settings in the images im attaching but when i try the 1920x1440 resolution with that same settings ive tried dozens of combinations but i cant get the hsm shader to fill my entire screen, it crops some parts in the image thinking its like a 16:9 aspect ratio resolution, in the first image this can be seen, was playing like two hours but couldnt make it to fill my screen. Any tips or settings will be very aprecciated.

1 Like

Did you follow the instructions to a tee when setting up HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader? You have to be on at least RetroArch v1.9.8 and set your integer scale to off, then your aspect ratio to either Full or the aspect ratio of your screen.

Im already at that hsm version, i have integer scale to off and the correct aspect ratio of my screen, when i used hsm with 1920x1080i have had no problems, only with 1920x1440 that is a correct multiple of 4:3 and my sony hd crt support that

1 Like

if you have a crt, the best thing for you is to use magic resolution and crt switch res. you will switch in 240p native.

resolution switch res 1920x240/ 2560x240/3840x240 by using this your crt will look like the original hardware use a shader that mimics a crt on a crt? I don’t understand this approach, but it’s your choice. on my sony crt it looks like this with retroarch, no shader, no scaling everything is off, except the good vertical resolution.

here is a video of how it works. it was with radeon hd, but it works the same way today with my rtx2070. dpi > vga > umsaa > rvb scart

just create the 1920x240 resolution open retroarch and set crt switch res. and you are good to go and enjoy all the retro games as they were originally designed. the snes will be like plugging a snes into your crt tv. the genesis will be beautiful and everything will be perfect. a shader that emulates crt perfectly is complicated… you are lucky to have a crt? use it the right way, and no shader can compare to the real thing. no offense to the shader creators… even if each day it progresses and brings us closer to the crt rendering, a lot of progress made in 10 years, and today it evolves each day in the right direction, a shader on modern tv is mandatory for me you get close with a shader, but input lag, ratio problems? and all those things won’t even be a problem for you, because you’ll have perfection on your tv, like plugging a console directly into your tv. here you go my friend infos here

2 Likes

@Digitech You need to use “Full” as the RA aspect. Keep in mind that just because your tv supports the resolution doesn’t mean that it will display it correctly. You should use the “physical” aspect of the screen. The shader has settings that will split the background and move the halves to the left and right to fill in the sides without stretching the background image.

I am AFK for now, I can chime in later with more info.

4 Likes

I already use a sd tv with super resolutions, but the tv im talking about is a hd crt so no compatible with 240, only 480p and 1080i

1 Like

@Duimon the “'Full” option you are talking about is from the options in the hsm shader right, on retroarch im using the option “config”, or i need to select “16:9”?, the tv is 1920x1440 with a 4:3 ratio

2 Likes

Actually the “FULL” option is the new option I added in the retroarch video aspect ratio options.

What it does is take the resolution given to the retroarch viewport and set the aspect ratio to that.

But I haven’t used retroarch outputting to a crt, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Perhaps @hunterk might know what might cause this behavior.

2 Likes

since the megabezel does all of its own scaling, it’s not going to matter what RetroArch’s scaling is set to, as long as it’s at least as large as the TV’s image. I think they’ll need to adjust the aspect stuff inside the shader.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think the thing that’s weird is if you look at the images the retroarch viewport shows up squashed into top half of the crt, so maybe it’s just a resolution sent to the encoder/decoder that’s not supported…

2 Likes

oh yeah, that’s usually a modeline issue. I don’t know for sure on those HD CRTs, but I was under the impression that 1080i/720p was their top-end. I know on other displays when I’ve tried to push a progressive signal that was interpreted as interlaced (or maybe I’m remembering it backwards…?), it would squish like that because it’s not skipping the fields like it should.

3 Likes

Hello, first off these shaders look amazing and can’t wait to use them but I’m having problems getting them to load. No matter the preset for any of the bezels it always fails to apply shader. I put the bezel folder in the shaders_slang folder. I have my driver set to vulcan and aspect ratio 16:9 (although I’ve tried a few others as well to no avail). I tried finding the imageviewer core but could not find it in the updater list so I’m just using some random snes ones. I’m not sure what else to do and I’m fairly certain I followed directions to a point but hopefully this is a simple overlook of something. I opened the log and pasted the results below if that helps.

[INFO] [slang]: Compiling shader “C:\Users\wapij\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\shaders\HyperspaceMadness\hsm\hsm-prep-add-params-advanced.slang”. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Exceeded maximum number of parameters. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create preset: “C:\Users\wapij\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\MBZ__1__ADV.slangp”. [ERROR] [Vulkan]: Failed to create filter chain: “C:\Users\wapij\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\MBZ__1__ADV.slangp”. Falling back to stock. [INFO] [slang]: Building pass #0 (N/A) [INFO] [Vulkan filter chain]: Not using frame history. [INFO] [Vulkan filter chain]: Not using framebuffer feedback. [INFO] [Qt]: Reloading shader parameters. [INFO] [Qt]: Reloading shader parameters.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum! :smiley:

Thanks for the log, this really helps me identify the problem. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think problem you are having is that you don’t have the required version of Retroarch. You need a quite recent version, I think it’s at least 1.9.8. In this recent version I increased the max number of shader parameters to 1024, so that the shader had enough available parameters.

Once you get a retroarch install of the recent version you should be all set! :star_struck:

8 Likes

Thanks! I downloaded the nightly version and it works perfectly now. Appreciate it!

6 Likes

The real person to answer this might be @solid12345, the creator of the Analog Shader Pack.

Why would the creator be the one to ask about popularity? Kind of a weird statement but it’s fine.

Just seems more like a community question dunno.

It’s not weird if you think outside of the box a little though. Remember not everyone thinks the same way, so why call someone’s statement weird because it’s not what you might have thought?

Anyway, I don’t owe any explanation but my thinking was that since @solid12345 has a thread where many of the folks who use the Analog Shader Pack visit and read, he might be in a position to get some feedback because people actually ask him for stuff like that and there’s ongoing conversation there about new upcoming versions of the Shader Pack. That doesn’t exclude the wider community in any way though.

Greetings @HyperspaceMadness, @Duimon, @Brainbin74, @Nesguy and @guest.r.

I just overhauled my shader preset post with some updated screenshots (except for Arcade - Sharp) as well. Feel free to have a look at what I did with the toys you created. Thanks again!

4 Likes

Hey @Cyber, thanks for your updated presets, I just tried them and I think I might have a problem with the “Composite” variant (the other ones work fine) :

https://imgur.com/a/ncjWTds

I really like your presets!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback @Tromzy! I’m glad you like them.

That “Composite” preset is just something I whipped up to get the pseudo transparency effects working in Sega Genesis games mainly because @AnonymousAndy was asking about it in another thread. It sacrifices sharpness and many other desirable qualities to make sure that it eliminates the dithering under the scenarios I tested. I really didn’t think anyone would try to use them for anything else.

Although I did start my testing of it by eliminating the dither patterns of a SNES game, I think I might have to remove any reference to SNES in the description so as not to encourage users to use it for SNES games.

Also, my presets are designed and tested on a 4K screen so I doubt they’ll look the same on anything else. I’ll do some testing @ 1080p to see how they look. The last time I checked they weren’t as detailed as they are in 4K so you won’t really get the same effect.

I suggest you stick with either the “Composite - Sharp” or “Composite - Pure” presets for most home console use cases and only use the “Composite” preset for the specific purpose of turning the dither patterns into transparencies and extra colours at the expense of other aspects of image quality in Sega Genesis games.

I also recommend the “Arcade - Sharp” preset for, you guessed it, Arcade games!

This is what it looks like on my screen.

Not too shabby if you ask me! lol

I think the problem is that at 1440p there aren’t enough pixels to display the mask correctly. I’ll give you an alternative that doesn’t have the mask, hopefully it will look better at 1440p.

Thanks again for the feedback.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - No mask).slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Pure.slangp"
signalResolution = "160.000000"

As an alternative, you can use this preset which has a more appropriate mask size for 1440p:

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - 1440p).slangp

#reference "CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Composite Pure.slangp"
signalResolution = "160.000000"
maskstr = "0.500000"
masksize = "2.000000"

There ya go! You can feel free to let me know how it looks. Also these presets are relatively new so you can spread the word so that more users may benefit.

4 Likes