Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Thanks for your answer, I will try to adjust the Arcade 1440p preset to my liking. I tried to disable 2 “RGB / Composite” switches in the preset options, but they did not seem to change anything.

1 Like

Using the Arcade Sharp 1440p preset, I just disabled Deconvergence and I love the result.

2 Likes

This is great news! At some point in my experimentation and development of the presets I would have disabled deconvergence so I knew that this would have been the effect of that change! Everything pops a little more and is very clear and vibrant! You can post some screenshots for us to see!

Another peak into the kitchen!

One feature that I’m adding which was a suggestion by @duimon and @thenamec which is a zoom for the viewport so that you can wholesale zoom in on the screen easily.

Here are some snapshots! :grin:

One of the things I think is kind of wild is this wacky zooming in on the mask and scanline dynamics. :exploding_head:

9 Likes

I guess this should solve presets looking inconsistent across bezel with different sized viewports even in cases where the scale factors are non-integers?

Care to elaborate?

I’m loving the evenly spaced scanlines which are aligned with the available pixels!

This new version is shaping up to be the mother of updates!

I’m really looking forward to this update now even more! I’m glad I made these new optimized presets for different resolutions! They make a huge difference compared to trying to use the original presets at lower resolutions.

The preset in your screenshots looks wonderful as well. What is it called?

This is great, my friend Shaderlord! Can’t wait to exploit this to develop better CRT experiences based off in real life PVM/BVM photos. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I do this for the love not for the likes…

After showing all of that love to 1440p and 1080p optimized presets, I just had to do something to lift the spirits of my 4K presets so without further ado here are my brand new RGB and updated 4K presets!

Be sure to click and load or download the full resolution versions of these to see them properly.

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Composite - Sharp)

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels (Blending and Transparency Edition)

Click the link below to download

CyberLab Mega Bezel Death To Pixels Shader Preset Pack 10-11-21.zip

I intend to do 1080p and 1440p optimized versions of these new presets as well.

3 Likes

Here are some screenshots based on @Cyber’s awesome 1440 p presets :

https://imgur.com/a/XKZ3adI

3 Likes

Are these my presets? Are you serious? Looking this good?

1 Like

Yep. :slight_smile: They are all your 1440p Arcade Sharp preset, only tweaked with deconvergence disabled, and with @Duimon’s incredible backgrounds.

3 Likes

Wow guys these are looking really fabulous!

The focus of this is to be able to easily zoom in some on a preset, so for instance one of the PVM presets and you just want to be closer to the screen. It is also to help the preset and graphics makers like @duimon and @thenamec who need to zoom in on their composition of generated bezel and graphics to tweak small details.

The split background image feature is the feature which really helps with different monitor aspect ratios, so the image can be adjusted to fit the wider monitor by cutting it in the middle and shifting the sides to the edges.

So I have adjusted the scaling to scale up the mask in integer increments as we zoom in, basically if we zoom in 200% then the mask will be scaled up 200%. So as you zoom in you get the effect of the mask getting bigger in integer increments.

5 Likes

Ah I forgot to answer this, it’s one of Duimon’s :

NeoGeo_AES-[ADV]-[Guest]-[PVM20]-[Night].slangp

1 Like

Thanks a lot! By the way @Tromzy, @TheNamec, @Neofuuma, @Duimon, @guest.r, I just cleaned up my shader preset pack and uploaded an updated version along with some new screenshots! Feel free to check them out as I did a major overhaul of my venerable Composite - Sharp preset!

2 Likes

Hey @Cyber why don’t you do a specific thread for your work? I think you have enough material to do so! It would be easier to follow the development process and to archive links in a cleaner way… Just a suggestion!

Can’t wait to test the update :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I do update my original shader preset post and try to keep it tidy and organized.

The excitement you’ve been seeing lately probably has something to do with the fact that you as well as @Tromzy expressed some interest in the shader presets and I addressed some questions then I created my shader pack and went on an update and sharing rampage. Normally, I just quietly work on my presets and update them in my main post. If you notice it hasn’t been updated since the 8th of November. That’s because what you’ve been seeing lately have been mostly drafts and I intend to update it when stuff has settled down into a more steady state. I’ve been working ever more diligently since you made your first video using my presets because I want to make sure they’re as polished as possible and I’m discovering new things that I need to work on, for example optimized versions for different resolutions and RGB versions.

I also want to ensure that my presets are in great order for when @HyperspaceMadness drops the next version of HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! I was just thinking that I could hide in this glorious nook of the Libretro forums while my shader presets eventually make the rounds as part of the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader package.

What do you think @HyperspaceMadness?

3 Likes

Hey there @Cyber. So I think your work could benefit from it’s own thread, you could do similarly to here where in the first post have a description of what you are creating and download links, and it would allow people to easily follow your work in one stream. You wouldn’t have to direct people to a specific message which might be harder to find or sometimes unclear which is the place they should keep going back to to get your updated presets.

I’m also happy to have you cross post stuff on the HSM thread when you have new cool stuff to show.

Keep up the nice work on your presets! :smiley:

4 Likes

Well guys thanks a lot. I guess I’m all grown up now. This has really been an unexpected but exciting journey. I really wish I had more time to play with these things but I have been squeezing in some hours here and there “when I get the chance”. I’m sure it will benefit users to have one centralized location to get access to these “looks” and styles that I share and people have asked and suggested this on more than one occasion so that definitely is an indication that it is time. I guess it will also be interesting to see what others come up with as derivatives of my presets after using them as a starting point.

I’ll be making my new thread “as soon as I get a chance!”

Thanks to @HyperspaceMadness, @guest.r, @Duimon, @Nesguy, @TheNamec, Tromzy, Neofuuma and all others whose hard work, contributions and support have made this possible.

4 Likes

I’ll be sure to favorite it with the others! :smile: :+1:

3 Likes

Going back to this. I’ve just spent way too much time playing around with a couple deconvergence settings and just as I suspected you don’t really need to disable it completely to get a much sharper overall picture. You can just turn the deconvergence smoothing down, even all the way to 0. That will actually give you a picture that might be sharper than with deconvergence turned off!!

I’ve been going back and forth with it and it seems as if it does a good job of keeping the phosphors/subpixels separated and more evenly spaced. This results in a slight change in the appearance of the mask and scanlines with both of them appearing clearer, sharper, darker and generally more defined.

So far I’m not really sure if I prefer this look to the way it is with Deconvergence Off in the preset I’m currently looking at but it is something to try for those interested in getting things as crisp as possible!

The good thing here is that I can add back my subtle noise if I wish without causing unnecessary blur of the entire image!

Perhaps you can try it and let me know what you think?

2 Likes

My thought process on why the deconvergence being on makes things seem sharper, is in my experience it accentuates the highlights in the image more, leading to more noticeable contrast separation.

1 Like