Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I agree. We already have the shadow of the bezel on the screen, maybe you can tack a second onto the diffuse with a little more width and control.

2 Likes

I’m now using Custom-Bezel_001 from @Duimon presets with arcade systems and looks great and really giving that arcade vibe since arcades came out to amaze people with big screens and sprites and on my 22 inch monitor this setup is all I ask for :grin:

No a big deal was just wondering if it’s possible to be able to add a image source to reflect a tempered glass screen protector as an addition to the Tube Diffuse Color and Tube Static Reflection Image in order to boost realistic cabin look?

3 Likes

Yeah that is correct the xbox series x only uses D3D11 & 12.

So is there not indication on what the issue is with D3D then???

1 Like

The Gel Layer has a “Normal” Blending mode, along with it’s add, and multiply. It should work for what you want. (If I am understanding you correctly.) It was designed for things like Vectrex screen decals.

2 Likes

I mean this kind of reflection on the glass where it stands before actual monitor screen :point_down:

With Gel I’m not getting similar reflection kinda effect and it seems it doesn’t gets over bezel frame, only applies on top of screen area. Tried to use scale paramater for gel layer and change blending mode for bezel frame to fake as if it’s stand under gel layer but no luck. Gel layer remains under bezel frame when you scale up its size.

Gel off :point_down:

Gel on :point_down:

But not gonna lie, Gel adds a whole nother retro vibe to the image :yum:

3 Likes

This confused me since they only apply to the screen as well. You can use the Cabinet Glass layer. Here’s a quick and dirty using HSM’s frame texture image.

It will take a bit of creativity and perseverance to get one you like.

4 Likes

Is this one switch enable function or multiple parameter required to be turned on in order to make it visible? I couldn’t find the way to triger the texture image :sweat_smile:

Tried both of the layer parameters but couldn’t trigger the texture image.

2 Likes

I just used the texture image as an example after copying it to my backgrounds folder. You have to edit the preset and add the Cabinet Glass image path.

CabinetGlassImage = ":/shaders/Mega_Bezel_Community/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/_Backgrounds/FrameTexture_2800x2120.png"
BackgroundImage = ":/shaders/Mega_Bezel_Community/Duimon-Mega-Bezel/Graphics/Arcade/Arcade_Horizontal.png"

I’m not implying that you actually use the texture image. It is just an example.

Why don’t I see what I can magic up for you? Did you want the dual line border also?

In the end I think you may be disappointed. While it sounds like a good idea, in practice you will find it doesn’t feel as good.

I am afraid you will find it is as tough or tougher than developing a good screen reflection image.

The thing is you can’t take a good photo of a reflection without the camera being part of it.

I spent quite a bit of time developing a method of rendering a sheet of glass in an HDRI environment. There just aren’t any public HDRI maps of an appropriate scene.

3 Likes

Ah I see now. Tried to edit the preset but didn’t work and just realised that there is no FrameTexture_2800x2120.png image under the same directory path :thinking:

Assuming this image can be tweaked with Cabinet Glass Layer parameters once it’s active. If so that would do the job I guess. Now I’m also wondering if Gel layer can get similar layer ordering functionality in future HSM shader releases.

Yeah I guess so :confused:

Nope. All the Gel and other tube stuff is separated in the chain. (Because it is not cached.) There is no way of giving it those features. It would act the same as the Cabinet Glass if it were.

This is actually the main reason the Cabinet Glass layer has it’s name. It is what it was intended for.

I think I may put a call out for some multiple exposure images of an arcade at night. It is beyond tiresome that we don’t have access to high quality arcade images. Multiple exposures would allow for the creation of HDRI images.

2 Likes

That would be awesome, thanks! :star_struck:

I’m just getting cloeser to what I was looking for and Gel layer helped out too but the glare effect I pull online is rather low quality and I scaled it up at least to fit my screen resolution which is 1080p. HSM shader paramaters heavy lifted a lot to make that low quality ugly image to blend into the overall look :smiley:

With your addional exposure images no doubt the result will be much better.

Tried to make the effects look subtle as possible without giving much to visual distraction :grin:

This is with only Tube Diffuse Color and Tube Static Reflection Image enabled :point_down:

Tube Diffuse Color + Tube Gel Layer + Tube Static Reflection Image + Cabinet Glass Layer all on and all tweaked to get best for my taste :yum:

And this is with all listed layers above enabled :point_down:

This is as well enabled all layers mentioned above but masked Cabinet Glass Layer to bezel :point_down:

This is the mask paramater I used for Cabinet Glass Layer

Thanks a lot @Duimon for the heads up and suggestions! :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

Since the cabinet sides are square you could also just adjust the Cabined Glass X Scale.

1 Like

Yes, actually I did use this paramater to stretch that glare texture image I used in Cabinet Glass Layer because the default pattern didn’t satisfy me so used mask parameter under Cabinet Glass to clip the glare texture to bezel.

When I debug it I see that mask #3 is perfectly clipping to bezel which it was exatly my needs.

2 Likes

What ever makes you happy my friend. :grin: I just pictured the tempered glass extending to the t-molding.

1 Like

@Nesguy hey I’m really liking your low TVL presets for Mega Bezel!

Do I need to tweak anything for Nesguy__Aperture__Low-TVL__Mask-8__Slotmask-Width-4__N3__STD? The slotmask looks a little weird with Auto Size (2k vs 4k) and I actually prefer manually setting to 2k setting. Maybe I need to dial other settings? Also, I really like Nesguy__TVL-270__STD

I forgot to mention I’m at 4K and use:

HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "1.000000"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MULTIPLE_OFFSET = "1.000000"
1 Like

So @Nesguy didn’t set it up as auto (that was me), perhaps it should always use mask size 1?

1 Like

An experiments with @MrRetroLust’s awesome overlays:

Pretty simple integration, I set the background as additive set the bezel and frame as 0 opacity and adjusted the bezel width and height. The base tube size and placement is using the image placement mode with the original image as the source with a little scaling offset.

The same scaling offset works for other overlays like Arkanoid.

For anyone who is interested in these overlays/bezels @MrRetroLust has created an amazing and huge collection of them which you can see on the Launchbox forum.

10 Likes

Looks like you have a decent template going on there!

3 Likes

Mega_Bezel_Logo

Mega Bezel is updated to V 0.9.104 2022-02-20 Rev 1

Changes:

• Fixed Double Vignette issue with POTATO presets when screen was under the BG
  • Updated Resolution Info only show relevant info
  • Small update to Sonkun’s presets to adjust brightness

HERE ARE THE LINKS!

Shader Package Approx. 15 MB

Extra Examples Package

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

• You MUST use Retroarch Version 1.9.8 or Later (It will fail to load on earlier versions)
    • If you have previous versions of the Mega Bezel installed:
      • Delete the old Mega Bezel stuff from shaders/shaders_slang/bezel
    • Inside the .zip is a bezel folder, copy the bezel folder into your Retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang folder
      • The final path to the Mega bezel should be Retroarch/shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel
    • Set video driver to Vulcan
      • It will run in GLCore but seems faster in Vulcan
      • Some users have run it successfully in D3D11 but with a very slow load time
      • Restart after changing the video driver
    • Open the Settings Menu and Set:
      • Video / Scaling / Aspect Ratio to Full
        • This will match your monitor aspect aspect ratio
      • Video / Scaling / Integer Scale to OFF
      • Video / Output / Video Rotation to Normal
      • User Interface / Show Advanced Settings to ON
      • Core / Allow Rotation to OFFImportant for FB Neo
      • Do this Before loading content
    • Load a preset in the shaders menu, Mega Bezel shader presets are found in:
      • shaders/shaders_slang/bezel/Mega_Bezel/Presets
    • When you save a preset make sure you have the Simple Presets feature set to ON
      • This will save a preset with a reference to the preset you loaded plus whatever parameter changes you made
      • This will keep your presets loading properly when the shader updates in the future

Resolution Info simplest, no derez or crop or sampling adjustments

Resolution Info with Derez

Resolution Info with Derez and Sampling adjustment

12 Likes