Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

New Version of the shader is up! V 2020-03-29

Changes:

• New Rotate CRT Image parameter, good for rotating the image!!! useful when the core image is on it’s side.
  • Small fix to mapping of reflection
  • Tube Glass Image added, this will add an image on top of the tube area for reflection effects if desired, this is 100% transparent by default
  • Textures have been renamed to be simpler, and Vertical Versions have been removed, since the bezel & frame are doing what is needed now, resulting in a cleaner slangp file :slight_smile: image

Core with outputs a sideways image default

After Rotation Parameter

5 Likes

Oh Oh! Tube Glass image. I might have to re-work some stuff. Added my own a few versions back with only limited success. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, let me know how you like it, right now it’s mixed in on top of the crt image. It might be helpful to have it be an Add transfer mode, so it only adds light to the screen.

One of the things I see with how many have done their glass overlay images they grey out the image because the screen gets blended with grey.

I might be able to add a parameter to switch from normal mode to add mode

2 Likes

Could you possibly post some screenshots of the new glass stuff?

You’ve been making alot of progress lately!

2 Likes

Thanks for answer. Yes i did a clean install. Maybe i missed something, i will check the readme.

Also, if the bezel and background are generated by the shader, how can i use custom bezels and add the shader to them? I have many from the games and i will like to keep them showing.

@Raikkoh

It’s a different process than overlays. Read the whole (or last couple of weeks) of the thread. Good luck!

Here are a couple screenshots of my PCEngineCD bezel testing some standard glass.

If we ever arrive at a screen edge shadow I think it would improve the look. I would also like to try it in Add mode.

2 Likes

Like what part of the image are you referring to for a screen edge shadow?

Also I agree I’d like to see the glass effect in an Add mode, @HyperspaceMadness is right it greys the screen pretty hard in its current implementation.

lol. remember?

shadow

This kind of glass is what everybody else is doing and expects. I only ever use it on arcade stuff when I am trying to make it look like a real setting. I use it in MAME with bezels from one of my other projects. I didn’t, but I might have used it on this; an unrelated project. (I used the lighting from the cabinet rendering, instead so it looks like glass over the entire cabinet front)

1 Like

Ohh, my bad man. I jump between so many threads and I kinda spaced about this, as it was discussed awhile back…

Yeah, crt-guest-dr-venom had something sorta like this but it’s been phased out in this reflection version (at least I wasn’t finding it.) In crt-guest-dr-venom it’s the border size setting.

I’m personally hoping we could get something like the method used in crt-royale for this, not sure if either of these things I mentioned are what your looking for.

Yeah. HyperspaceMadness did talk about trying it but now with the extra image layer for the glass, adding my own to the glass layer would be pretty easy.

2 Likes

Ah yes! I’ll definitely add something like this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m personally a fan of crt-royales method, but it won’t follow around the corners without some reworking. (It will follow the curvature edges, just not the rounded corners that crt-guest-dr-venom uses.)

Crt-guest-dr-venom’s method is the same method as crt-geom’s but the trade-off is that it’s not nearly as adjustable as royales method.

Or you could just try an make your own, lol.

Sorry I can’t help much more then this information.

Looking forward to whatever you end up doing.

2 Likes

The newest shader update fixed the problem I had with the vertical scanlines not looking correct with any of the crt mask turned on. This is truly the ultimate shader with all the tweaks and adjustments included. Awesome job you are doing here @HyperspaceMadness

4 Likes

OK. Here is the newest version of my DOSBox bezel. What do you think?

10 Likes

The bezels are a little thick for me but otherwise it looks great.

I have to say this looks amazing.

How much of it is the shader and how much custom/other stuff?

1 Like

Hi, @kmoney yeah I fixed some scaling/sampling issues that I had caused in my re-scaling of guest-venom :slight_smile: Glad you are enjoying it, please let me know if you have any other feedback, everyone’s feedback has really made this thing so much better!!!

6 Likes

That’s more or less how they looked back in the day.

Here are some more examples.

IBM_3270_PC IBM-MONITOR-TYP-8503-monochrom-b-w-vintage

5 Likes

Hi @HyperspaceMadness, loving the work you have put into this, especially the auto switching of the shader scanlines for horizontal and vertical aspect ratios that work really well for the MAME core.

I don’t know if this is possible as your shader is doing a lot of clever stuff, however I thought I’d ask anyway. One of my computers has a fairly old Intel i5 2520M CPU, GeForce GT540M Graphics and 8Gb ram, running Windows 10 x64 and latest RetroArch with the glcore. Your shader loads up fine but struggles to run smoothly, is there anything that can be done to help improve the performance/make efficient for older computers and lower spec machines, without sacrificing the cool effects.

As an experiment (I know, I know this defeats the purpose of all those wonderfull effects achieved by the shader!) I tried replacing all the bezel and reflection passes with stock.slang passes in the guest-venom and guest-sm presets but both were still really slow, I just wanted to keep the base shader, scaling ability and auto aspect ratio switching features of the shader.

1 Like