Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

Was setting up an Amiga WHDLoad config. Came up with this as a bezel.

Did some looking and saw that Amiga and IBM had some almost identical monitors so I borrowed some of my DOSBox bezel.

8 Likes

New Version of the shader is up V 2020-04-05

Changes:

• Put back Horizontal and Vertical images for Background and Overlay
  • Put in an #ifdef for @Telmo to try out the difference between V 2020-04-01 and V 2020-04-02
  • Added a Screen Scale Only version of CRT-Royale (Working on getting it running with the Bezel)

Guest-Venom - Screen Scale Only

Royale - Screen Scale Only

@Telmo to try out the #ifdef switch I put in there to switch the only thing that seems changed between V 2020-04-01 and V 2020-04-02, go into crt/shaders/HyperspaceMadness/hsm-mega-screen-scale-params-functions.inc and uncomment the line //#define TELMO_TEST to turn on what the sampling was doing in V 2020-04-01.

Royale is a fantastic shader! Trogglemonkey is a genious :slight_smile: I love the curvature, it’s really versatile, In Royale he actually does the curvature warp as a separate pass on top of the crt image and does some antialiasing at the same time. I’m going to see how I can incorporate Royale’s curvature as an option in the others. With the others it probably won’t be done after the crt shader like royale does.

Does anyone have an opinion on what curvature they like better in terms of setup? Royale’s Radius + View Distance vs other shader’s CurvatureX + CurvatureY

7 Likes

I always like the way Royale did curvature. It loooked more… natural.

2 Likes

Yeah I wish someone made some curvature like lottes that used that style.

EDIT: @HyperspaceMadness To clarify, I mean I’d enjoy a curvature mode that looks like royale’s in that shot, but used the CurvatureX + CurvatureY style.

I’m personally not a fan of the radius+view distance style from a user stand-point, I have no opinion on the technical (coding) aspect of it, this is purely an end user thought.

1 Like

Greatness! I was about to test this but the file link seems to point to “HSM_Bezel_Reflection_2020-04-02”, uploaded on Friday :slightly_frowning_face:

@Telmo Ok I updated the link, I have no idea how that happened!

1 Like

I uncommented that line and the speed with Dr Venom (with and without GTU) is the unfortunately the same. I’m sticking with guest’s sm for now :smiley:

1 Like

So are you saying that before you uncommented the line it was slow, and after you uncommented the line it was still the same slowness which appeared in V2020-04-02, and wasn’t there in V2020-04-01?

Yes, exactly. I tested both with and without that line and the default Dr Venom presets were slow here.

Quick question, between those two updates of your shader, did you update guest-dr-venom’s code for his updates?

1 Like

@Telmo

I was having all sorts of slowdowns over the past weeks and communicated it to HyperspaceMadness also. I recently I updated my GFX drivers and all went away (To my great surprise). We both have GTX 10XX cards, It’s worth a try.

3 Likes

No, no update to guest’s shaders because I wasn’t sure if their latest updates were finished for now.

1 Like

I’d probably give another week or so, and then I’d just go ahead and update. (From the looks of it, if any other updates happen soon, I’d imagine they’d be minor updates.)

I think the update that is currently available may speed the shader up slightly.

Also I updated my comment about the curvature situation because my answer about my thoughts on it were poorly worded so I expanded on what I was meaning.

I tagged you’re name in it but I’m not sure if you’ll set it as see it, as it was an edit of a older comment.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t think this is really possible, as Royale is actually using a quasi-3d projection, whereas the CurvatureX + CurvatureY is just a 2D distortion.

1 Like

That’s slightly disappointing.

1 Like

I’ll see, there might be a way to do it.

Royale does have the mode where the tube is vertically flat and only horizontal has curvature (Like a PVM), so it might be possible to mix both together, although I still think you would be using radius and view distance, so you might end up with a Radius X and Radius Y and View Distance. As view distance decreases, the amount of curvature increases.

1 Like

Hey! I have been toying around with a new set of MAME bezels.

Any Opinions?

Thanks @HyperspaceMadness for adding the dual backgrounds back in. Also the overlays. (I had not even thought about that)

7 Likes

Maybe decrease the brightness for the mame art. (I feel it would look more like an arcade cab that way.)

Besides that it looks nice.

If you look at it full size I hope you can tell that the MAME logos are behind perforated metal and casting light on the cabinet sides. I am thinking there needs to be some cast shadows?

Like this.

5 Likes