Mega Bezel Reflection Shader! - Feedback and Updates

I second Duimon, maybe 8.5k is a bit too much.

Maybe naive question: While we wait for the new version, can we somehow update the underlying shaders (guest’s one) and if so, how?

Thank you

1 Like

I think I remember missing the jet black default black levels and increased contrast that they brought as an OLED TV user so I ended up reducing the Black level as a result.

I also think I had to manually tweak the colour temperature in order to get things to where I felt they looked right.

I did appreciate the new Sega colour palette though. All in all it was a mixed bag of feelings updating to the new grade.

@Dogway did include a way to get neutral colours though it’s all in his thread.

My other concern with the raised black level was that it would somehow clash with @guest.r’s new at the time, inactive mask setting, which also had the effect of slightly lifting the Black levels.

In general, I had liked where things were colour wise out of the box with the old Grade a bit more than with the new Grade.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think maybe around 7.2k or 7.5k might be a better default. I found setting it at 6.5k really still seemed to have the yellow cast.

The color temperature really shows up in the effect on blue and purple, shifting them more blue.

I’ll check this out to see what the different defaults could be

We’ll have to test this out to see, I think if you don’t adjust the black level in grade it should not have any interaction with @guest.r’s shader.

@guest.r is there anything special about the version of grade you have included with guest advanced?

3 Likes

See the above :grin:

I’m going to do this update which should be out in the next 2 weeks, so I would wait for that. :grinning:

4 Likes

It is a matter of taste, but also just the initial look, at least my eyes quickly become accustomed to a white point, but not to a low brightness and the more the temp differs from 6500, the less the brightness.

2 Likes

It has afterglow integrated and is compatible with the afterglow pass. Further, the texture lookup fetches the color from “StockPass” instead of “Source”.

It’s adjusted to replace my “pre-shaders-afterglow” pass without some issues.

3 Likes

Definitely bring that white point down to anywhere between 7.1 and 7.5 and preferably change the phospher setting from default Japan to P22-90s while you’re at it.

2 Likes

Hi there!

I noticed @Orionsangel new pack using mega bezel uses (core/retroarch?) variables in the shaders (ex. $GAME$ and orientation) and use it to organize bezels per game, its really a cool feature.

i was wondering if there are more variables we can use, like “system” for example, so we could make bezel collection by system (neogeo, taito, cps,cps2, etc)

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Found the wildcards documentation! unfortunally it doesnt have the system for multi arcade cores, :frowning:

still, this feature will help alot organizing my custom shaders!

2 Likes

Hey guys… this is probably a bit of base question, but I’ve upgraded from a 1440 monitor to a 4k. Is changing my scanlines (they are almost too small to see in 4k) as simple as changing the mask size from 2k to 4k? I switched it over and they still don’t look quite right… at least on my arcade core. Are there other standard adjustments I should do in this situation. Thanks, as always, for the help.

1 Like

Is it possible to have a bezel like this (with reflections) but using the scalefx9x shader instead of crt effects?

1 Like

Yeah, you can try one of the smooth presets: Mega_Bezel\Presets\Variations\Smoothed\SMOOTH-ADV_4_Super-Smooth.slangp

and perhaps set the mask to none in the guest section.

3 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try that now.

I have just downloaded the pack and attempted to load each of the shaders in the smoothed folder but I just get a failed to load shader error.

I have managed to get the shaders loading now but do I also need to add the bezel separately? And should I be setting this up from the Batocera menu or in Retroarch after I have loaded a game?

Are you sure you’re talking about scanlines, CRT Mask or both?

A change in resolution shouldn’t affect the size and number of scanlines but it would affect the way the Mask appears.

There are different Mask subpixel patterns which line up with different resolutions.

For 4K you can try Mask 12, Size 1. No Mask Zoom or anything else like Mask Zoom and stuff. Be sure to to adjust the Mask Strength so you can actually see what you’re doing.

Alternatively, you can use Mask 6, Size 1 or 2.

Of course there are many other Mask combinations which can work well but I’m just providing a starting point. Even Mask 10, Size 1 looks good at 4K, it also looks great at 1440p but the phosphors will be larger of course.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to download a pack, just update slang shaders from the retroarch menu.

Please post a log and the path to the shader you are trying to load. (Not just the shader name and folder but the entire path so we can verify the installation.)

Also, what exactly did you download? Was it a release or did you clone the repo?

I downloaded the pack just incase there was anything different to the ones in the shaders_slang folder. I can get them to load now (I have to keep reminding myself to set the shaders and decorations to none in the Batocera games menu and also to check that Retroarch is set to display overlays aaaaaaaand set shaders to simple shaders) (I’m convinced that these settings can change randomly though). But I just can’t find the overlay/bezel in my reference pic. I would like to use that one because I am using an oled tv and I am hoping to minimise the risk of screen burn/image retention. But I am not really a fan of crt effects shaders, I prefer the smooth look of the scalefx9x.

1 Like

I don’t know if this has been changed but the Mega Bezel version in the RetroArch repo has lagged behind the latest release for quite some time now.

The Bezel in your reference pic looks like the default Mega Bezel carbon fiber background with reflections enabled.

What Bezel are you currently seeing? You can post a screenshot.

Is it that the

preset doesn’t include real-time reflections?

1 Like

If I try to load that Mega_Bezel\Presets\Variations\Smoothed\SMOOTH-ADV_4_Super-Smooth.slangp I immediately get a page saying no cores available and the 2 options.

I’m starting to think that my file structure is wrong because if I update slang shaders the SS folder appears and if I select that shader I get this :-

But if I close Retroarch and Batocera, when I come back the SS folder has disappeared which is why (I guess) the shader has reverted back to standard.